BLM vs NFS maps - BLM still worth using?

Ikijime

Hey all, quick question,

I went by the federal office in Springfield to pick up some maps of the Siuslaw unit this season. The NFS maps are in color, and show both the BLM & NFS maps in different colors. I also bought the much cheaper black and white BLM maps. Do the BLM maps show anything different than the glossy, colored NFS maps, or is getting both pretty redundant? The NFS maps, if I remember right, were right around $10, and the BLM maps were, like, $1.50 or something along those lines.

Are there even better maps for hunters out there?

Thanks!

James

TheKnigit

When it comes to maps you can never have to many ;) But in general I would say it depends on what you are using the map for. Are you using it purely for road information? Are you interested in land ownership? Are you trying to scout new areas? Are you interested in thickness of timber, thinned out areas, etc.? Are you using it while you are in the truck, or do you plan on throwing it in a backpack and hiking?

I have a couple of NFS maps and, while they are fairly good for road information, I have always found them to be a little cumbersome. I tend to prefer small maps of the specific area I am interested, rather than one larger map that contains my area in a small corner. Something that I can stick into my backpack and not have to worry about it taking up to much room. I also tend to write a lot on my maps and I use them a decent amount while I am out hunting. Which means they get rained on, and dropped, and generally trashed. I have a hard time spending $10 for something that I am going to potentially rip up.

For "office chair" scouting I tend to prefer using Google Earth. My 2 or 3 hunting partners all have it, it is a free download if you don't have it and are interested. It lets us take photos, create custom locations, trails, and routes that we can email back and forth. Plus most satellite imagery has been taken in the last couple of years, so it can be fairly accurate. There is also a topo plug-in you can download for free that changes the whole thing from a satellite image to a black and white topo map.

I also use these 2 sites from time to time.

http://www.oregonhuntingmap.com/#/disclaimer

http://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/rastergateway/states-regions/regions_zoom.php?regionID=r6

The second website there has printable topo minute maps of Oregon. Not all locations are covered, but it does a fairly decent job with the ones that it does have.

Ikijime

Nice info, TheKnight! I'm still learning how to use Google Earth. Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of it, guessing by all of the functions you use on it. The differences in maps and their purpose makes sense also. Thanks for the input.

James

TheKnigit

No problem, hope the links help. If you have a specific area you are interested in, or questions about Google Earth functions, I would be more than happy to try and help or see what I can find.

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom