Blip sizes on fish finders

T
Thuggin4Life
So no where in my manual dooest it say how big a fish ahs to be to be a certian blip on the screen. Most fishfinders have a small medium and large sized blip for fish. I want to know how small is a small blip and how big does it have to be to be a medium blip. and how big does amedium fish have to be to become a big blip. can't seem to find anything about what tha actually sizes are. best thing so fare is small fish show at as small bilps medium fish so up as medium blips and big fish show up as big blips. wow thats really informative thanks guys for telling me how my equipment works.

M
Markcanby
:think::think::think::lol::think::think::think::clap::think::think:

M
Mike123
Does it say in your fish finder manual???
It really depends on the model..
I have one that has little fish icons, small ones are small fish, big ones are big fish!
But there are the more sophisticated models that just have real rough arch marks.

T
Thuggin4Life
Mine does the fish symbols. the maunual says small fish small fish symbol. big fish big fish symbol. so what is a big fish?

M
Markcanby
20"

T
Thuggin4Life
H
halibuthitman
Thuggin4Life said:
Ok so how about medium and small.

I guess you could catch one of the small blips and see....:lol:

D
Drew9870
Think of it like this....

The smaller blips are probably no bigger than a nice size perch (10 inches).

The medium blips are probably fair size trout or bass up to 12-17 inches.

The large blips are obviously trophy fish, big bass, big trout, and anything else above 20 inches I would say.

I would mostly recommend fish finders for locating schools of fish and of course depth.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah i like to know the depth and water temp. nice to find pockets of fish and good for salmon trolling. when trout trolling i catch fish when the screen says no fish or fish not in the zone i am in. Just think for a expensive piece of technology it should say more in the book than big medium and small. like if i'm salmon fishing i would like to know if the big blibs are salmon or if there just a 20 trout. know what the blips actually stand for might help out a bit.

H
halibuthitman
thuggin, the reason your verbage in the manual is so vague is becouse the possible use is vague, a sounder obviously works by bouncing a frequency, air in density, or solid refracts it back, thats how it can show hard to soft bottom, the fish are spotted on the sounder by the size of air bladder in it, a 2 lb largemouth is going to appear larger on it than a 4 lb trout simply becouse spiny ray fish such as perch walleye and bass have larger air bladders.... a trout under 8 inches may not show up at all, a sturgeon must be pretty large to be dense enough to show up, but they occasionaly can. Sounders are for finding structure, edge and feed balls... and even the best are not of much more use, now if you wanted to get a side scan sonar you could target individual fish,, but your luck is gonna be pretty low, exept bass fishing, to target individual fish. good luck

T
Thuggin4Life
Cool man thanks thats the kind of information i was wanting to hear. And as many of you know i am not a fan of fishfinders to find fish. but realized it is a valuable tool to aid a fisherman and don't think it is going make me catch more fish. and it looks good on my boat.