Bleeding a salmon

W
wormosa
what is the best way? just a slit on the throat?

kirkster
kirkster
the best way to bleed a fish I have found is cut the gills on both sides and I stab the heart and then I cut the under side of the tail. After all that it needs to bleed out in the water. I see some folks hang them in a tree but they dont seem to bleed all the way out if there in the water they seem to bleed much better.

Reactions: wormosa
W
wormosa
thanks for the info kirkster

M
mgdguy
kirkster said:
and I stab the heart

With a wooden stake? :lol: :lol: ;)

O
osmosis
Fish blood clots very well in the water so I prefer to bleed them out of the water. I just cut all of the gills, or rip them all out.

what kirkster mentioned about cutting the tail (cutting into the spine) is a good method if you already killed the fish. Do that as well as cutting the gills.

I dont hit mine in the head hard enough to kill them, I let their heart pump the blood out for me while they're knocked out..

J
JeeperGal
osmosis said:
I dont hit mine in the head hard enough to kill them, I let their heart pump the blood out for me while they're knocked out..

remind me to stay on your good side :)

M
Mike123
osmosis said:
Fish blood clots very well in the water so I prefer to bleed them out of the water. I just cut all of the gills, or rip them all out.

what kirkster mentioned about cutting the tail (cutting into the spine) is a good method if you already killed the fish. Do that as well as cutting the gills.

I always forget to do that! I always bonk the holy crap out of them then "CRAP now it's heart wont pump out the blood!"

good tip.

T
todd_brooks
bleeding etiquette?

bleeding etiquette?

I read about someone bitching because others were bleeding their fish into the river and "killing the bite". Sounds like it could be a bad thing any thoughts on if its true and is there a proper etiquette.

O
osmosis
with finicky fish (like kegged up coho or springers in small water) it can certainly kill the bite for awhile. on average it might shut it down for a few minutes but the blood will flush with the current and things go back to normal after not too long.
steelhead dont often care.
I like to bleed my fish immediately while still alive on the bank so that none gets in the water, and I wait until I'm about to leave to gut them. unless it's hot out, then its best to gut them and fill their body cavity with ice as soon as possible.

F
fishtales
I rarely put bleeding trout back in the water regardless if I’m bringing it home or not. At least this is what I was taught to do. With salmon I usually pull the gills out or stab it in the head and leave it to bleed out I think that blood could throw the bite off depending on where you are fishing and how finicky the fish are.

J
JeannaJigs
yep I've always just ripped out the gills completely, they gotta go eventually anyways, why waste time? It can be a scene of carnage at times (or maybe everytime)..but eh? gets the job done. I used to go way overboard on the wood shampoo...but learned to just knock 'em out like has been said, and let their little beating hearts do the work for me. Makes gutting and cleaning easier at the end of the day. Never bled one out in the water, though I see people doing it all the time, it just doesn't seem right. I don't know. When I was a kid my folks instilled the fear of god into me when it came to tossing fish guts back into the water, it was a big "no-no" So to this day...I still can't do it (my mom was/is a scary woman okay?!), and i bleed the fish into a garbage bag on the bank, and dispose of it when I'm done...that's just how I do.

S
solution7
I agree

I agree

I agree that it would turn the bite off but only temporarily. (parotting). I have seen guys gut and all back in the day and dont remember it affecting the bite

W
wormosa
osmosis said:

very good point os, i would have neve thought about that !!

F
FishSchooler
Lil' off topic but hey... it goes with the whole blood gut thing. :D

A year ago during shad season, we caught 9 shad and put them in the cooler with ice (we didn't gut them). We got home, they looked/smelled (haha osmosis) dead. I cut their stomach... and their hearts were still beating! I even cut one heart in half, and I could see it moving up in down, with blood seeping out with each movement. :shock:

kirkster
kirkster
osmosis said:

Thanks osmosis I wasn't aware of that I was to the understanding that The blood would clot faster out of the water. I only take all three steps as far as cut the gills,heart and tail on hens to ensure blood free eggs probably an over kill but doesn't take long.

T
todd_brooks
JeannaJigs said:
yep I've always just ripped out the gills completely, they gotta go eventually anyways, why waste time? It can be a scene of carnage at times (or maybe everytime)..but eh? gets the job done. I used to go way overboard on the wood shampoo...but learned to just knock 'em out like has been said, and let their little beating hearts do the work for me. Makes gutting and cleaning easier at the end of the day. Never bled one out in the water, though I see people doing it all the time, it just doesn't seem right. I don't know. When I was a kid my folks instilled the fear of god into me when it came to tossing fish guts back into the water, it was a big "no-no" So to this day...I still can't do it (my mom was/is a scary woman okay?!), and i bleed the fish into a garbage bag on the bank, and dispose of it when I'm done...that's just how I do.

I can't say I get that. I've even seen guys that live close to the water bring back carcases after cleaning. To return the nutrients back to the stream. They say the dead Salmon are a big part of stream and forests heath. Just my two sense.

B
BobberDown
well todd your right the salmon carcases are a big part of the spaning prosesit is what the smolt eat when they hatch as well as all th other small life for that is vital to a streams health . on the bleading thing i dont bonk them cut the gillsboth sides hold the fish up side down for a minet and watch the blood drian and if you want and your hand is big enuff you can run your hand from the tail down tords the head pinching te bely and spin it helps push the blood out. but if you dont bonk thm and you bleed them well conchise and hold them up side down there hart will pump faster and it gets down qwick hope this helps
Dan Cox

kirkster
kirkster
todd_brooks said:
I can't say I get that. I've even seen guys that live close to the water bring back carcases after cleaning. To return the nutrients back to the stream. They say the dead Salmon are a big part of stream and forests heath. Just my two sense.

Hey todd welcome to OFF, People who dump there carcases back in the river can get a fine because its not legal. Please dont get me wrong I agree with what your saying. It seems every time this comes up in conversation about the law. People want to argue with me about it being good for our eco system. And I tell them to argue till there blue in the face. It still doesn't change the fact that its against the law.lol

B
BobberDown
kirkster said:
Hey todd welcome to OFF, People who dump there carcases back in the river can get a fine because its not legal. Please dont get me wrong I agree with what your saying. It seems every time this comes up in conversation about the law. People want to argue with me about it being good for our eco system. And I tell them to argue till there blue in the face. It still doesn't change the fact that its against the law.lol

your right it is consider wasting a game fish it will ern you one he** of a ticket good for the river or not

H
here2fish
BobberDown said:
your right it is consider wasting a game fish it will ern you one he** of a ticket good for the river or not

really????:shock:

So weird how other states will go as far to put signs up telling you to toss the carcs in but here its illegal???