Bleeding a fish

A
Alan
things have changed in the recent years since I have fished, I ran across a video regarding bleeding fish. Trout I simply gutted, everything else I fillet, so four questions for who ever has an opinion, thank you, Alan

Do any of you bleed a fresh caught fish?
how soon after you kill the fish do you bleed it?
how do you bleed it, gut it or gills?
how important do you feel It is?

Reactions: Fred
D
DrTheopolis
I always bleed them by cutting the gills immediately after bonking it. Keep the lactic acid out of the meat, or so they say.

Reactions: Bob Budesa
W
wils
if you are keeping your fish, immediately clip a gill rake with your clippers/dikes. its quick and easy. it will take a few minutes to bleed out. then keep it well chilled as best as your situation allows. it even helps with rockfish. gutting is a bonus

my2labs
my2labs
Alan said:
things have changed in the recent years since I have fished, I ran across a video regarding bleeding fish. Trout I simply gutted, everything else I fillet, so four questions for who ever has an opinion, thank you, Alan

Do any of you bleed a fresh caught fish?
how soon after you kill the fish do you bleed it?
how do you bleed it, gut it or gills?
how important do you feel It is?

yes.
Right away
Stab through it’s throat, cut gills
Very. Enhances meat flavor and quality.

G
Gulfstream
what he said.All fish

jamisonace
jamisonace
Yes. Very important to bleed. Blood goes bad quickly. Get it out of the meat for better taste and longer preservation.

With ling cod and bottom fish (any white meat fish) it's especially obvious. The difference is white meat as opposed to pink.

A
Anotherdude
Good to know! I knew about salmon and steelhead but it never occurred to me about rock fish.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Bleeding fish is a must for us. Once the fish is landed and on the deck it gets a sharp knife right in the gills. Then the fish goes on ice. Doing these two things makes for a nice clean firm filet.

It also make for a nice picture and keeps my first mate happy.

IMG_0513 (1).JPG

Reactions: Admin