Black Ice = Totaled Truck - long story

A

Amberjack

I head out of Depoe Bay at 07:00 to work on the remodel of our office in Newport. Driving my 02 Tundra, I breath a sigh of relief as I am pulling into Newport near Walmart. I just crossed over Cape Foulweather with temps at 32 degrees. No issues.

Coming up the hill, southbound near Walmart the ass-end of my truck decides to come around to my right. I try to correct but no control at all. I end up crossing the two northbound lanes, (thank god there was no traffic), bounce the curb, left front tire hits and goes over, a boulder the size of a 55 gallon drum, then the right front end hits the power pole.

It's all over, the windshield wipers are still going, radio pumpin tunes and the engine still running. I shut it off, and jump out. No injuries at all. Not even a scratch. A witness was behind me and was wondering what I was doing trying to make a left into Sizzler since there is none. The he hit the ice and realized what happened. He stuck around until Newport police came.

Newport Police come northbound and the officer slides through the intersection and comes to a stop. Turns around and comes into the Sizzler parking lot. Gets out and states. "I know how this happened". Takes the information and does not cite me.. Super Officer!!!

Truck gets towed. Toyota dealer calls later that afternoon and tells me $9000 worth of damage and the frame is bent to Sh*t. TOTALED.

Sad thing is I took collision off last month.. $10k loss. Just glad I survived, I did not hit anyone else. Metal can be replaced, lives and injuries can't

N

nwkiller

wow that sucks, good thing your ok

C

colbypearson

I head out of Depoe Bay at 07:00 to work on the remodel of our office in Newport. Driving my 02 Tundra, I breath a sigh of relief as I am pulling into Newport near Walmart. I just crossed over Cape Foulweather with temps at 32 degrees. No issues.

Coming up the hill, southbound near Walmart the ass-end of my truck decides to come around to my right. I try to correct but no control at all. I end up crossing the two northbound lanes, (thank god there was no traffic), bounce the curb, left front tire hits and goes over, a boulder the size of a 55 gallon drum, then the right front end hits the power pole.

It's all over, the windshield wipers are still going, radio pumpin tunes and the engine still running. I shut it off, and jump out. No injuries at all. Not even a scratch. A witness was behind me and was wondering what I was doing trying to make a left into Sizzler since there is none. The he hit the ice and realized what happened. He stuck around until Newport police came.

Newport Police come northbound and the officer slides through the intersection and comes to a stop. Turns around and comes into the Sizzler parking lot. Gets out and states. "I know how this happened". Takes the information and does not cite me.. Super Officer!!!

Truck gets towed. Toyota dealer calls later that afternoon and tells me $9000 worth of damage and the frame is bent to Sh*t. TOTALED.

Sad thing is I took collision off last month.. $10k loss. Just glad I survived, I did not hit anyone else. Metal can be replaced, lives and injuries can't

that really sucks dude, glad you made it out alive though.

troutdude

troutdude

Like you said, losing the truck is a better proposition than injuries or the loss of a fishing comrade.

Very sorry about your rig, but at least you're still breathing and fishing.

C

capblack

for someone who just took a $10,000 dollar hit, you sure have an excellent attitude. glad your ok, now go get another truck, and go fishing, Brian

T

the_intimidator03

I am glad you are good bud, I must say with my weekend there I noticed a lot of police being visible and it was quite nice. Very comfortable atmosphere and the folks are pretty good there :)

B

BobbiDollPDX

Wow, Jerry. Dood. Glad yer able to post and tell us. Be careful man. I am totally looking forward to many days in the salt with you this year!

A

Amberjack

Thanks everyone. I have gone through my mind a thousand times, could have I done anything different.. maybe, but felt totally helpless. Anyway life goes on, I will post pics Monday when I get to the yard to take pics. Yes I have a good attitude, just glad no one else was involved, was wearing my seat belt, and I walked away.