Black Crappie, the other white meat...

A
adambomb
I was more than a little apprehensive to eat a crappie but I am glad I did!! There isn't much meat on them, but if you can get a dozen or so 10 inchers, its dinner time! Any body have any recipes they would like to share? I just breaded them lightly with Bisquick and pan fried them because I wanted to taste the fish, not a bunch of spices and what not.

D
dude young
Hell yeah! My favorite crappie recipie is much the same. I take white flour, add a bit of white pepper, dust the fillets in it, then dip in a beaten egg, then dredge in Panko, then fry in corn oil. No need to over season. Crappie is as good as walleye in my opinion. We used to beat up on them on the ice then fry them up right there on a coleman stove. If you save bacon fat, try frying them in that instead of corn oil. Oh mang...

A
adambomb
dude young said:
Hell yeah! My favorite crappie recipie is much the same. I take white flour, add a bit of white pepper, dust the fillets in it, then dip in a beaten egg, then dredge in Panko, then fry in corn oil. No need to over season. Crappie is as good as walleye in my opinion. We used to beat up on them on the ice then fry them up right there on a coleman stove. If you save bacon fat, try frying them in that instead of corn oil. Oh mang...

I like the way you think!! Bacon makes everything better!

M
Markcanby
Dam now he wont let me have all his fish anymore.

troutdude
troutdude
Dude Youngs new nick name is "The Baconator"! LOL

Can't agree more, bacon...especially outdoors...makes the world a LOT better!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Oh man do I love crappie! We hit Prineville Reservior once a year for our annual crappie feed. We filet the little buggers swim them through pride of the west batter and into a hot cast iron fry pan. It takes a few to make a meal but it hones your fileting skills.;)

D
dude young
This is a video of a fishing bubby from back in NH demonstrating his way of filleting crappie. He is one of the guys that I used to beat up on them on the ice with every year. Pretty sure he could catch fish in the middle of the desert.

[video=youtube;-0q4IFaPM08]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0q4IFaPM08[/video]

Oh, and, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... ...bacon!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I have heard that smoked Crappie is amazing. That has been a little goal of mine for a while: If I start to get into some crappie, they are going home with me where they will then get dumped into the smoke!

C
czoom
By far fried they are the best. White Flaky meat, yum yum. Steamed and put in fish tacos is good also.

C
craigatkins
Just took out some for Monday. We went to Owyhee resevoir last July and caught over 300 in about 6 hrs. It took us another 6 hrs to filet them. We are going back in June this year and we both bought electric filet knives so this year we plan on really catching a mess of them. they freeze great if you cover them in water. I like to just dredge them through pride of the west and deep fry them, eat them like potato chips. I also like to mix the pride of the west with beer and then deep fry them. Damn, I may have to have them for mothers day instead of steak.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
craigatkins said:
...Damn, I may have to have them for mothers day instead of steak.

haha I hear ya!

A
adambomb
Crappie....It's whats for dinner

Crappie....It's whats for dinner

I decided to try Dudeyoung's recipe this time. It was delicious!!! Also cooked up a couple beefy bluegill and they are not bad at all. My girlfriend asked me this morning why I've been eating so much bacon lately. I told her she wouldn't understand......;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A
adambomb
Kodiak said:
You do understand in doing so your sacrificing all salmonid angling skill for an indefinite period of time right?

The way I look at it, if you can fillet a bluegill, you can fillet ANYTHING!! As for sacrificing salmonid angling skill, I wasn't catching any before, so it won't be much of an adjustment for me;)

T
The Nothing
craigatkins said:
Just took out some for Monday. We went to Owyhee resevoir last July and caught over 300 in about 6 hrs. It took us another 6 hrs to filet them. We are going back in June this year...

Oregon DHS Reports said:
The levels of mercury in fish from Owyhee Reservoir ranged between 0.65 - 1.77 ppm. Since mercury collects in edible portions of fish tissue, the only way to limit exposure is to reduce the amount of fish eaten from contaminated waterways. Therefore, OHS warns that pregnant women, nursing women and children up to 6 years of age should not consume any fish from this body of water. Children older than 6 years and healthy adults should limit their consumption of fish from Owyhee Reservoir to no more than one-half pound (eight ounces) of fish six times a year (approximately one meal every other month). The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is currently reviewing this health standard.

The source of the mercury appears to be from natural geological mercury in the rocks and soils in this area, and possibly, past mining activities. Additional fish sampling surveys will be conducted by DEQ and Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) to further characterize the extent of mercury contamination.

Because sport fishing is a popular activity at Owyhee Reservoir, OHS and ODFW suggest that fishermen practice catch-and-release fishing. A catch-and-release approach allows fishermen to still enjoy fishing as a high-quality recreational experience, according to ODFW officials.

FWIW, the mercury levels in the crappie from Owyhee are double what you'd find in shark or swordfish - and they're the notoriously bad fish!