Black Bird 5000 - Diamond Lake '11

E
eat, sleep, fish
The girlfriend and I hit up Diamond Lake for the annual Black Bird 5000 yesterday. Fishing for us wasn't off the hook like usual, but we also had very limited mobility in our small 3 person raft. It definitely made it so we couldn't go and find the fish, but we still managed to get into a few. Our friends who were out in a drift boat found lots of fish and a few in the 16-18 inch range. Overall it was a nice day out on the water, although the bugs were pretty bad. Also, lots of mosquitoes but they all seemed to be males so no bites.

S7301369.jpg

S7301370.jpg

S7301371.jpg

S7301373.jpg

We ended up leaving at 2 before the end of the weigh in, but heard that a 5.7lber ended up winning the $1000. The fish that were weighed in seemed to be extremely skinny for their length compared to last year. My 19" fish last year weighed in at 3lb 7 ounces and would have beaten a 23", a couple 20" and would have been in the top 5 when we left (it didn't make the top 50 last year).

So how did everyone else do?

Reactions: lilsalmon
M
Mad dog
Nice pic's! I especially like the ones with Bailey and Thielsen in the background!

S
skunk
Looks like you all had a good time. Nice

T
the salmon kid
the salmon kid got into the fish all week on power bait( chartreuse ) and placed 5Th in the derby with a 3lb 14oz'er

N
nwkiller
nice fish guys

N
nwkiller
why does the salmon kid talk in third person? way to go on the 5th place SK

N
n8r1
the salmon kid said:
the salmon kid got into the fish all week on power bait( chartreuse ) and placed 5Th in the derby with a 3lb 14oz'er

Why do you keep referring to yourself in the 3rd person? N8R1 would like to know.

J
JimBob
How the heck did you get three in that little raft? Good catch though!

E
eat, sleep, fish
It was only my girlfriend and I in the raft which is a "3 person" raft. My other friends were in their own boat for the day.