Birthday trip and a new addict to add to the group!!

Spydeyrch
Well, for those of you that don’t want to read through the whole story to pull out the bits and pieces that are important to you, here is a brief highlight:

5 guys and 1 lady

Birthday (Brandon’s) camping in the Nestucca river basin – Friday through Sunday (12th – 14th)

New friends made
New flies tied (great job on those flies Brandon!!)

Primarily fly fishing

GREAT Hamburgers!!

Approx. 250 – 300 trout caught, and possibly one steelhead, all C&R

And one new addict to the nirvana which is known in heaven as fly fishing!

-----------------

For those of you that like to read a story, notice I didn’t say “good” story, hahahaha, I am not that great of a writer. But anywho, for those of you that want to read a story and report of our fishing adventures this last weekend, here she is. I say “she”, because fishing and the reports that follower the fishing are a thing of beauty …… especially fly fishing!!!! :D

Oh, and this is from my viewpoint. There were several points during the weekend when everyone was doing something else or fishing some other waters. So I can’t not vouch for them but I can include the info that was verbally given to me. So they others will have to fill in the gaps if they would like to.

It starts:

Day #1

So, I had originally invited a friend of mine and his brother to go with me but being as they bailed on me like two Saturdays ago, I decided to un-invite them. I really didn’t un-invite them. they just completely forgot about it, which was fine with me because they really didn’t want to go anyways.

But that presented a problem. I hadn’t taken care of renewing my camry’s plates and although to some that may not be a problem, it was for me. Even though we have two vehicles, the second one is for my wife as she has tons of activities that she does with our kids during the day. So she was going to need a car to get around. Well, with out me being able to use my camry and with me not being able to use my other car, I was stuck. My friends were my ride out there and now they weren’t going so that meant that I wasn’t going too. So I started looking around to see who I could get to go and could be my ride too.

I remembered about a young man, a scout, in my church congregation. He had asked me a few weeks ago to take him fishing as he needed to catch some fish to finish his fishing merit badge. I had told him at the time that I would keep him in mind. Well, even though he can’t drive, his dad can! And his dad was currently on a prolonged vacation. I thought that it would be a wonderful opportunity to go fishing, finish a merit badge, spend some quality time with his dad, enjoy the outdoors, go camping, and for a way for me to get out there!! What more could a young man want on a weekend!! I know that when I was a younger man, cause I am still young, hehehee, I loved spending time with my dad doing things like that.

Anyways, I called him up and told him about the deal. He seemed excited and really wanted to go. “Seemed” is the key word here. I called him back a little while later to talk over the details with his parents. His mom said that he really didn’t want to go because they had just gotten back from a 4 day camping trip and plus he really isn’t that much of an adventurer when it comes to things like this. I honestly think that it was his mom saying that she didn’t want him to go. He was just getting over a cold so I think the mommy protection syndrome kicked into high gear. Oh well.

So I thought about another few people. Two brothers and their father. After I called, they were going to be out of town. Bummer.

So I called my brother, after my wife suggested that I do so. I talked to him and he seem really excited. We started planning things, we were going to use his car, time he was going to pick me up, etc. but then a few days later when I called him to confirm a few things, he said that he had been given a job offer and was going to accept it but that he would start on Friday. So it meant that he wasn’t going to be able to go. I am glad that my brother let me know ahead of time but I as still sad that he wasn’t going to go and it looked like I wasn’t going to go too. :(

I basically had all but given up. I had tried and thus far had been turned down by 8 different people. My wife was pretty sad that I wasn’t going to be able to go. She was so frustrated by it at one point that she was willing to let me use her car, even though that meant she would be without a vehicle for 2 days. But I turned down the offer. I couldn’t do that to my wife. She also thought about putting up a bulletin board announcement in our church building. Hahahahaha How cool is that. She was looking for a fishing partner for me. She is awesome!! I am one lucky guy!!

So I went to work. The next day, pretty sad, disappointed in some of my friends, and frustrated that I wasn’t going to go. Brandon and I had been talking about this trip for like 2 or 3 months and then for it to fall apart for me right in the last few days, was just Murphy’s law at its finest (or would it be worst?).

Well a friend here at work saw that I was pretty bummed and under the weather and asked. So I spilled the beans and told her everything that had transpired over the last 3 weeks. She mentioned that I should look for an older gentleman from my church congregation, someone that likes to fish and camp. The funny thing is that my family and I go to a Spanish speaking congregation and well …. camping and hiking and fishing and all things outdoors aren’t really a strong point in the latin culture. I am not saying that Hispanic people don’t go camping, but that it isn’t really that strong of a desire in the latin American culture. So my chances of finding someone were dwindling. Once I explainded that to her, she said sorry that I was in that circumstance that she hoped I would find someone.

But her comment got me thinking. Who could I take with me from church? Who else would go? I didn’t want to take just anyone knowing that they wouldn’t enjoy it to it’s fullest. It had to be someone that wanted to go, that would enjoy the camping, that would want to learn fly fishing, and that would enjoy it. I thought long and hard! (Probably like 5 mins, haahahahaha) :lol: And BAM, it came to me like a lighting bolt!! There was a friend of mine that I had invited fishing about a month or 2 ago. He really wanted to go but at the last moment, his brother and sister-in-law had their first child so he went to support them. So it wasn’t that he wanted to cancel but that he had a family responsibility. Which was understandable.

(continued below)

Spydeyrch
(continued from above)

So I called him up. I asked him if he had anything planned for the 12th and 13th, all day both days. His melodious answer came back: No. I asked him if he had any job interviews scheduled for those days, any baby births, anything at all planned in the most minute and minuscule way. His answer again came back: No. Oh what a wonderful sound that was!!

So I proceeded to invite him to go fly fishing and camping. It was going to be two full days of both of them but we would have to use his car to get out there. I was going to pay for gas but we would use his car. He said he was fin with that. AWESOME!!!!!
I now had someone to go with!!! I was ecstatic! My wife was over joyous that I was going to be able to go.

So I got all the gear together over the next few days. I kept texting Brandon, until he ran out of texts, and then proceeded to call him too. Everything was working out. I was very happy.

Friday morning finally arrived. I woke up at 4:20am, took a shower, and gathered my stuff together. Double, triple, and quadruple checked all my gear. I also had to bring some gear for my friend. Lets call him “J”.

J texted me saying that he arrived and was outside waiting for me. I went down there, and then we both grabbed my gear, threw it into his 1988 toyota corolla. It had like 158k miles on it and ran really well for being so old! I was very impressed. We then set out on the two hour drive to meet everyone else at the campground. I used to be J’s youth leader for a few years back when he was a teen. But since then, he has lived abroad in France and Belguim. He is fluent in three languages, Spanish, French , and English. We had a lot to catch up on and we chatted the whole trip down there. It was a nice conversation.

Well, we arrived at the campground and it looked pretty full. We drove around and didn’t see our group anywhere until we started to drive back up. Brandon and his dad were waiting next to the restroom. We saw them, parked the car and introduced everyone. Josh and I got out to take a look at the river and stuff. Appearently Brandon and his dad had already fished a little and had caught some fish! His dad even caught his first fish on a dry fly!! Way to go Brandon’s dad!!!

Brandon, J, and I went down to the river to check it out. It was awesome looking. The water levels were perfect. The clarity was just spectacular. I felt that it was going to be a good day!

I started teaching J how to read water, insect info, and then we started practicing some casting. He was starting to do pretty good right off the bat. After about 30 mins, bigsteel came down and introduced himself. We gathered up our stuff and walked back to the campgrounds. Now, when we had arrived there wasn’t a single campground available, all of them had been taken. But when we had walked back up, I guess one of the spot was now available. What had happened was that some group had come, set up their tents and then left. They didn’t use it the first night and the next day came back, took their sleeping bags, and other gear but just left their tents and lanterns. So according to the campground rules, one must stay the first night in their site and cannot leave the site unoccupied for more than 24 hours.

So one of the other site’s occupants came and took the tents and made them his own!!! Hahahaha :lol:

Later and park ranger came by and confirmed that it was fine that we were in that site.

Well, after meeting lilsalmon, Brandon got a b-day gift, a fly tying kit with materials and a book on tying flies. After that we all got our gear on, lined up our rods, tied on some flies, and shot off to the water. J and I went a little up stream to practice some more of his casting and practice reading the water. I took him to a little riffle and showed him where a fish should be lying. And BAM, fish on for me. I showed him how to handle the fish and revive it. He then tried it and on like the 3 cast, BAM fish on for J. It was a nice little 5 inch bow. But it was his first fish on the fly. SWEET!!!
So we then headed down stream to find Brandon, bigsteel, and rose. As we met them, they were coming back up. Bigsteel caught and landed a nice 15 inch cutthroat, possible a SRC. And Brandon had caught a ton of fish already. They were going to go down stream to some well known waters and see if they couldn’t get into some SRC and maybe even a steelie. We said that we were going to go down stream from where we were at to see what was down there. So we hiked for probably about .5 miles and found a nice little riffle with a deep run and pool.

It had some great back casting room so J was able to practice his casting while fishing. We got into some nice fish there and worked our way up. Catching fish here and there.

At one point J decided to head back to camp due to hunger and I stayed behind to keep fishing. I managed to pull out 8 fish from this one pool and even pulled out a nice 10.5 inch cutthroat. Beautiful fish!!

We eventually decided to try and meet up with Brandon, bigsteel, and lilsalmon down the road. As J and I drove down the road, we passed them all coming back to camp. Instead of turning around, we drove a little bit more and then pulled off to the side of the rode, hiked down to the water and started fishing. We found some really nice water down there. J got a few more fish on a dry fly and I got some more too. Beautiful water!!

Well, after a few hours there, we headed back to camp. We all shared our fishing stories from the day’s worth of fishing. Bigsteel, Brandon, and I shot back down to the water and picked up a few more fish until we couldn’t even see our own feet in front of us then we headed back to camp.

We had for diner that night some nice flame charred hamburgers cooked over an open fire. They were wonderful.

One thing that really bothered all of us was that there was this group of people using several camping sites and they were the rudest, most annoying people I have ever met. They were howling, ,……. Yes howling, as in like a wolf or a coyote or a dog, all night long!!! They got so drunk. There was a pair of friends that would fight up a storm over he said she said he called her etc etc. Just the dumbest stuff ever. Then they would feel bad and say sorry then about 10 mins later start fighting again about the same thing then make up then fight then make up. It went on like that for hours.
J and I decided to hit the hay. So I crawled into his tent and sleeping bag while I slept out under the stars in my bag and bivy sack. I love that thing!! It weighs next to nothing, keeps me warm and water proof. Best thing in the world!!

I guess that I must have been so tired from the day’s adventures that because appearently everyone in our group took an un-used, un-opened soda can and tossed it into the fire. It exploded but I didn’t even hear it. hahahaha :D :lol: But man did I sleep good that night! You know you slept well when you wake up the next morning and your eyes are just puff balls. I got some GOOOOOOOOD sleep that night!

Phew that was a lot!!! And that was just the first day!!! Below you should find day number two.

To be continued.....

-Spydey

Reactions: bigsteel
bigsteel
that was a great trip and it was nice to meet you andrew,,your buddy did great on the fly rod and im sure he will keep at it.....i was hoping you guys would have heard the pop explode......a lot of fish to hand and new friends made for a great weekend...i can't wait to do it again.

Reactions: n8r1
Spydeyrch
Day #2

I woke up naturally Saturday morning at around 6:30am. It was nice. No alarms, no kids poking me, no babies crying. But I did miss my kids and wife. They are my life and I missed them. But that is why they say that absence makes the heart grow stronger … or fonder … or something like that. Hahahaha. :lol:

Even though I woke up around that time, I rolled over and went right back to sleep for about 30 more mins. Then I decided to wake up. Brandon was already up and tying more flies, hahahahaha. It was about 7am now and the others started to wake up too. J and I had breakfast. It was Honey Bunches of oats with Almonds and powdered milk. I don’t care what others say but I love powdered milk!!! I don’t remember the others eating breakfast.

But we got geared up and shot off to the waters. If I remember correctly, we all drove up to a farmer’s farm and he was nice enough to let us gain access to his property. Very nice guy. We hit the river and I decided to have josh try nymphing this time. I showed him the basics and while I was doing it caught two fish!! Hahaha

I handed over the rod to J and within a matter of moments he was getting into some fish. He even had a double hook-up on one occasion!! Pretty sweet!! I would say he did really well considering that Friday he had a total of about 5 fish and Saturday within 3 hours already had more than that. :D

I hiked down river a smidge and found this awesome, just awesome quad riffle, under cut bank, run and pool!!!! Just made my mouth drop! I proceeded to pull out 5 fish in 7 mins!! It was awesome!!! I wanted to share the spot with others so I jaunted back to where they were. I mentioned the spot but everyone else wanted to hit up this one other hole about a mile up the road. So we went up there. We got into a few fish but nothing too big and not too many.

After that, we drove up stream back toward camp. J and I lead the group to the waters we had fished the day before. The waters were just awesome!! We fished these waters for a few hours and really enjoyed the fish that were caught there.
I guess that as I shot off up stream with Brandon, bigsteel helped J with his casting, and showed him how to tie on the flies. He also gave him a fly or two. Let me tell you something. J’s casting, after bigsteel gave him some tips and pointers, imporoved by 10 fold, no joke. He was getting tight loops, shooting line, and was able to manage his line retrieve just amazingly well!!! Thanks bigsteel, I doubt I could have done what you did. I have no doubt that J’s enjoyment tripled due to being able to effectively cast. And it was all thanks to you bigsteel. So thanks again. :)

After that, we shot back to camp. We ate some food, then bigsteel and Brandon shot down stream while J and I shot upstream. We found some amazing water. We were hitting the fish just left and right. J was on fire man!! As we worked our way up stream, we had to climb up a small chain of waterfalls and as we got up to the top, the sunlight from the setting sun hit the water and it was spectacular. The water was so clear. Also, there were several hatches coming off at the same time. Two different mayflies, some caddis, and some large stone flies!! We were nailing the fish with some sweet red stimulators with rubber legs. I think around size 10 or 12. Just working out way up stream. We came across another guy that fly fishing. After a while, I walked up to him to see what he was using and take a look at his flies. He had purchased a starter package and it came with some flies but they were all wet flies. I tried to help him use the wet flies and get a good swing in the current. I also told him to check out OFF and become a member as everyone here is awesome at helping and giving pointers.

And guess what, he did join!!! His OFF name is: gsw1179. So when you all get a chance, give him a nice welcome and help him out with his fly fishing techniques. He really wants to get into it.

Well, J and I decided to shoot back down to camp as it was getting dark. We fished those last upper stretches for about 2, maybe 3 hours and J caught around 30 fish there!! He was hooked!! Pun intended. He said he could do this all day long and just loved it. He wants to go again sometime soon as he loves it!!

We got back to camp and ate some food. Some nice beef stew and some nice open fire cooked bacon!! THICK BACON MAN!! Good stuff. :D

Before we headed off, Brandon gave J an extra fly rod, reel, and line that he had just bought like a day or two before. That was a super generous thing to do Brandon. J is extremely grateful for the gear. He can’t wait to get out there an put it to use.
Well, we said our good-byes and took off toward home. Everyone else stayed another night and fished some more on Sunday. Brandon even possibly got into a steelhead but it snapped him off. But man, that would have been sweet!!!

Overall, it was a wonderful trip. Good food, great friends, excellent fishing, and a new addict. Brandon did a great job putting all this together, and he was the birthday boy!! Usually it is the other way around. Others plan it for the birthday boy!! Just goes to show you the huge heart that Brandon has and his willingness to share what he has.

Thanks again Brandon for the invite and letting me bring J along. He loved it!

Thanks bigsteel for those flies, they were awesome and very well tied by you might I add.

Thanks lilsalmon for the warm and delicious food, great stuff!!

-Spydey

P.S. You had to be there to see brandon’s tent!! Hahahaha :D :lol: he forgot the other 2 tent poles so the jerry-rigged it by using bungee cords and attached them to their car as support. It was freakin awesome!!!

troutdude
Awesome report bro! I'm recuperating from a 4-day camp trip w/ 12 boys. So, it was really nice to read about your adventures.

BTW, whenever I have encountered such rude peeps at a campground...I get up at o'dark thirty to go fishing and I bang around and make as much noise as humanly possible to "return the favor"! Then I do the same thing when I return for breakfast...especially if none of them are up yet. Generally, they aren't nearly as loud (or for as long) that next night. LOL

Spydeyrch
Yes, yes it was a great trip!! It was really nice to meet you and lilsalmon. you guys are really great anglers. I learned a lot from both of you. Thanks for sharing. I really hope we can do it again sometime soon. I am hoping that I can make it up to the Trillium Lake fish-off.

If I may, might I ask you for a couple of those crystal olive wooly buggers? Those were awesome looking!!

Take care

-Spydey

Spydeyrch
troutdude said:
Awesome report bro! I'm recuperating from a 4-day camp trip w/ 12 boys. So, it was really nice to read about your adventures.

BTW, whenever I have encountered such rude peeps at a campground...I get up at o'dark thirty to go fishing and I bang around and make as much noise as humanly possible to "return the favor"! Then I do the same thing when I return for breakfast...especially if none of them are up yet. Generally, they aren't nearly as loud (or for as long) that next night. LOL

Nice!! I wish we would have done something like that. They were just complete jerks!! No respect for anyone else. There was even a couple who got up and packed their stuff and left because of the noise.

Where did you guys go on your 4 day outing? Sounds like it was a blast!!!

I think one of the coolest things of the trip was when J told me that if it hadn't been for me, he would liek camping, hiking, or anything outdoor. He said that I had introduced him to all of this stuff and that he was extremely grateful for it.

I remember the first hike and campout that he was a part of. It was the first campout for a lot of the young men youth of our congregation. We hiked up to 7 mile camp on the eagle creek trail in the gorge. He loved it!!!

-Spydey

bigsteel
Spydeyrch said:
Yes, yes it was a great trip!! It was really nice to meet you and lilsalmon. you guys are really great anglers. I learned a lot from both of you. Thanks for sharing. I really hope we can do it again sometime soon. I am hoping that I can make it up to the Trillium Lake fish-off.

If I may, might I ask you for a couple of those crystal olive wooly buggers? Those were awesome looking!!

Take care

-Spydey

absolutely you can have a few,,,onthefly is the olive crystal bugger master

Spydeyrch
bigsteel said:
absolutely you can have a few,,,onthefly is the olive crystal bugger master

I will have to get ahold of him and purchase a few from him and some from you too. Thanks man! Hope to see you guys up at Trillium for the fish-off.

-Spydey

eggs
sounds like a good time! I love that upper river!

lilsalmon
This was another successful weekend. It was nice meeting Spydey and J......J has definitely come to the dark side. It was fun watching his enthusiasm and visiting with him about his time in Europe. Brandon's dad, Jamie, was fun to hang out with to. BTW, he did a lot of cooking too and I think some of the burgers were a bit crisp...oops...cooking in the dark has its draw backs.

Brandons b-day was definitely a success....especially the twinkie cake with 1 candle....hehe.

I didn't get many fish pics but my biggest was probably about 11 inches. Nice trout. the pics are on the new rod thread, Thanks again Sinkline.

powdered milk.....ewwwwwwwww

Oh and the ones partying? They were the most rude people.....even took the huge campground sign down and carried it to their site.....We had fun around our fire and laughed a ton but when people have to drink, fight and vandalize my opinion is they should just stay home.

Brandon's dad seems to think I should write a book about hangin out with guys and what they talk about and their antics...hehe...would be a big book and very funny. nothing like a group of 4 adults cowering a distance away from the fire waiting for a full can of pop to explode. :D

here are a few pics

Campsite and chopping wood
6043963137_f7b5df6323_m.jpg

Brandon forgot tent poles
6044510826_6fedee67ef_z.jpg

Jamie, Brandons dad, fishing
6043966625_40dafd5ba3_z.jpg

underwater shot
6044514366_5a24a651c3_m.jpg

Bigsteels double whammy
6044509592_189cf05257_z.jpg

brandon4455
best bday trip ever.. thanks everyone for coming out.. a lot of firsts on this trip. j and my dad got their first on flies..i hooked a steelhead sunday morning and caught 3 fish in three casts on a caddis/mayfly hybrid i tied. plus multiple double catches on nymph setups. my pics will take a while because i took my first spill in the river and ruiend the camera but i can get them put on a cd with the memory card from walmart.. thanks for the gifts,the cake your frienship and the good time. i enjoyed sharing the excitement with all of you. ps; i caught over 125-150 fish total..got around 70 the first day..it was awesome.. and almost all were on dries.. amazing fishing. a few of my on the water highlights were watching steelhead slurp mayflies off th water in the evening less then 8 feet away from me.. hookign my first steelhead ,watching golden stones lay eggs and get eaten. and three cutthroat in three casts on a fly i tied. i could write a book on that trip it was the best.. now i have to buy materials to keep me busy until my first guided trip next month.. :lol:

brandon4455
the only downside were all the pirates in spandex LOL

Drew9870
Alright, I can't handle just seeing reports of the get-togethers, time to partake in another one. Where? When? How? And Why? Oh ya, Who and What?

Seems like an amazing trip, I don't usually get jealous :lol::D.

eggs
Drew9870 said:
Alright, I can't handle just seeing reports of the get-togethers, time to partake in another one. Where? When? How? And Why? Oh ya, Who and What?

Don't worry I didn't get an invite either :) haha not that I could have gone...

brandon4455
eggs said:

i wanted to invite you but rose and dave told me about the baby situation. and drew, if we have room or you get a ride ill give you the when and where. talk to bud he wants to plan somthing.

Reactions: eggs
Drew9870
brandon4455 said:
i wanted to invite you but rose and dave told me about the baby situation. and drew, if we have room or you get a ride ill give you the when and where. talk to bud he wants to plan somthing.

Will do, but I don't want anyone to go outta their way just to pick up a long-haired hippy :lol:;).

P.S. When we hittin the Willy, had a massive takedown that backlashed the spool on my baitrunner using a dead 6'' shiner yesterday.

Last edited:
eggs
brandon4455 said:

Yea the litttle man can basiclly come any day now...

Glad you had a good birthday, got into some fish and camped on one of my favorite rivers.

lilsalmon
eggs said:

I actually thought of you during the trip when Dave threw on a couple of long ass branches to try and get them to burn.....made me think of the friend that threw a whole tree on the fire...these ones didn't burn though.

I be waitin for Wyatt to come into our fishing world........Already figuring how to tie a Johnny Jump Up in the tree branches....hehe

eggs
haha saturday night we were at my buddy house that tossed that tree on the fire.. lol and we were talking and laughing about it.. he finally admitted that it wasn't a great idea looking back! lol

is putting like 3 life jackets on him and tapping a rod to his hand so he can troll with me around olallie at 9 months considered mean??

Top Bottom