Biggest whitefish

T
TTFishon
I caught about a 15 inch whitefish today. What's the biggest whitefish you have caught?

P
pdx89
Wow nice fish! :dance:
where did you catch it? i know they have them in washington. i fished for them in MT

T
TTFishon
pdx89 said:
Wow nice fish! :dance:
where did you catch it? i know they have them in washington. i fished for them in MT

In a little creek off of the Mackenzie River.

P
pdx89
nice... i dont know that neck of the woods... but i keep hear about that river

T
TTFishon
It's a great river to fish. It's probably loaded with people today. That's why I chose to fish where I caught the whitefish. Nice and quiet with no one in sight or sound.

P
pdx89
good job.... i figure you caught it by accident? rather than fisihng for it.... any way if they are the same whitefish i caught in MT than thats great:D because those where great eating :D

T
TTFishon
pdx89 said:
good job.... i figure you caught it by accident? rather than fisihng for it.... any way if they are the same whitefish i caught in MT than thats great:D because those where great eating :D

I was just fishing. I expected it to be a cutthroat and then I thought it was a pikeminnow, for a second, until I saw it's mouth. Then I knew what it was. It's the biggest whitefish I've ever caught and I haven't caught one in a long time. So I'm pleased with my catch.

I've heard they are good eating but I let this one go.

P
pdx89
well thats your call on releasing it... but boy they are pretty good to eat;):cool:

dont they usually run in late fall, early winter and thats when guys catch them?

G
Griz
Thats a big whitefish! I lived in Montana and we use to catch them, but we never ate them! We always tossed them back or gave them away.

T
TTFishon
pdx89 said:
well thats your call on releasing it... but boy they are pretty good to eat;):cool:

dont they usually run in late fall, early winter and thats when guys catch them?

I have no idea. The only other place I've caught them before was at Armitage Park on the Mackenzie and they were all around ten inches long. I plan on fishing this stream more this year. If I find that it has a nice population of whitefish I just might have to try eating some.

M
mikeredding
I have caught some over 18" at Odell. Nice Thomas by the way!! My favorite lure for more than 25 years.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Big Cliff

Big Cliff

I saw a gent catch 3 in one afternoon up at Big Cliff. He said he gets at least a couple a week. So,what's the vote? Are they good to eat or not good to eat. Do you have a favorite receipe? It looks big enough to put up a good fight,did it? That is always fun.
Be safe.
Barb

M
mikeredding
Raincatcher said:
I saw a gent catch 3 in one afternoon up at Big Cliff. He said he gets at least a couple a week. So,what's the vote? Are they good to eat or not good to eat. Do you have a favorite receipe? It looks big enough to put up a good fight,did it? That is always fun.
Be safe.
Barb
They definitely can put up a fight but I have always considered them a trash fish and have never eaten one.

18406ej
18406ej
I have caught 2 or 3 at Big Cliff, but nothing like that size. Nice work!

A
Anyfishisfine
That's the same exact lure/pattern I used at Hagg today. It was productive for both of us.

T
TTFishon
mikeredding said:
I have caught some over 18" at Odell. Nice Thomas by the way!! My favorite lure for more than 25 years.

Yeah, I just bought that lure last week and have caught 7 fish with it and the hooks are already bent out of shape. Great lure though.

T
TTFishon
Raincatcher said:
Be safe.
Barb

Yeah, it fought the same as a trout that size.

T
TTFishon
18406ej said:
I have caught 2 or 3 at Big Cliff, but nothing like that size. Nice work!

Thanks. It was just luck of the draw.

T
TTFishon
Anyfishisfine said:
That's the same exact lure/pattern I used at Hagg today. It was productive for both of us.

What did you get today?

A
Anyfishisfine
Couple of trout at Hagg.Trolling with my canoe.