Big trout in Detroit Lake?

S
Specialed
Does anyone have any experience catching big trout in Detroit Lake? I have learned to be successful catching limits of what seems to be the recent planters but am wanting something a bit more challenging. ( A bigger creel would be nice too). Any suggestions?:confused:

18406ej
18406ej
I too have only pulled the small to average size planters out of Detroit, although I am sure others have had some better luck. I have had more success as far as size goes when fishing in Big Cliff.

B
bigsteel
when fishing big cliff do you park up from the dam and walk down?

18406ej
18406ej
I either park near the boat landing on the Detroit Dam Powerhouse Road, or I park at the creek that flows into Big Cliff (About 3/4 mile East of Big Cliff Dam).

T
tongo
i once caught a 20 inch landlocked salmon out of detroit, caught it on a spinner while trolling with a friend. i was surprised my line didn't break after seeing his teeth.

P
Pita
My best advice would be to fish very deep and as close to Hoover as possible ideally in late summer.

B
bigfootfish
Big trout in Detroit....

Big trout in Detroit....

The biggest fish I've ever caught out of Detroit Rez was a 21 inch landlocked chinook. Off the dam and had to steer the fish into a bucket with small holes in it to drain the water so I could lift it by rope to the top. I was using 4 or 6 lb. test line. Big Cliff Rez down below seems to hold bigger rainbows. I've seen them taken out over 20 inches there and seen a about a two footer come off the hook a few feet from the bank.

BFF

R
RLK
Specialed said:
Does anyone have any experience catching big trout in Detroit Lake? I have learned to be successful catching limits of what seems to be the recent planters but am wanting something a bit more challenging. ( A bigger creel would be nice too). Any suggestions?:confused:

Fishing deep with ford fenders usualy produces pretty well. During the fishing derby 20 inch plus is the going size.