Big Lava Lake trip

G
gearhead143
Just got back from five days at Big Lava Lake ( 9th to 13th) and couldn't ask for a better trip. The weather was great, in the high 70s and 80s every day, I have never seen this before at this time of the year, let alone be able to get in there the last few years do to snow.

Got to take my son with me this year. We haven't been able to go fishing together for a long trip in ten years due to he works for me, and runs the shop when I am away.

The fishing was the best that I can ever remember. We anchored off the rock pile on the west side of the lake in about 20ft depth, used about 30in of 2lbs leader, treble hooks, and any bright power bait with glitter, ( orange, green, rainbow, ect.) and landed ( catch & released) 30+ fish a day. The last two days we kept our limit, nothing under 16in. Keith on the last day hooked a big one that took him a while to land on the light tackle, it was a Brooky 21in. Her colors said she was sponning. these haven't been stocked here in 10 + years so we put her back in hopes there will be Brook trout to catch in years to come here.

It doesn't get any better! I hope to get back in early October for another great trip.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF. What a terrific first post. Nicely done--especially releasing many, including that big brookie.

Got any pics?

W
wozniasm
Welcome to OFF!
Would love to see pics if you have them.
Sounds like a perfect trip!

O
OnTheFly
Thanks for the report. Big Lava is one of my go to lakes when I fish central.

J
JimBob
Did they send Hoodoo out to pick up all that trash yet? Some morons broke all sorts of glass in the parking lot and they still had the dumpsters upside down.

G
gearhead143
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to OFF. I have been reading here for a while now, and after this trip I had to join and share Our great trip.

I haven't looked on how to upload pictures here yet, but I will. I will get my camera back from my son tomorrow and see if get some pictures uploaded.

JimBob
Did they send Hoodoo out to pick up all that trash yet? Some morons broke all sorts of glass in the parking lot and they still had the dumpsters upside down.​

Everything looked great when we were there. We camped in the lodge campgrounds. The Forestry campgrounds looked good except for some trees down 50 yards in on the entrance road. Everyone just went the wrong way around to get to the boat ramp, or to get into a site.

J
JimBob
I was there two weeks ago when we had that wind storm, We were watching trees fall over on the shore. It was pretty cool.