Big K Ranch- July 3rd 2021, new PB!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Payed the fee and launched at 8am. Surprisingly cloudy and still for the first few hours

Easily 100+ fish, lots of good ones mixed in.

For awhile they were slamming the smaller sized spro rat swimbait, which was a blast.

Best of the day actually came on a ned rig, my new PB smallmouth, 3lbs 5oz

Another 2lbs 4oz on topwater, and more at 2lbs 7oz on the rat
fc828137365a94916d5fc49adcef45f4.jpg
bffdc36dcea1e7f64012a17b29ccc5d4.jpg
80c25cc4466dc5a01feed0b18e10c252.jpg
3b5d31508efe342121e6496a9dbd5e91.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Snopro, bass, fromthelogo and 1 other person
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Forgot the pb fish
94c108cd028f91eb2745e740367f8276.jpg
5aa1b1dfe74c9e7935ad5a5163dceb51.jpg

Reactions: bass, fromthelogo and Admin
fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Congratulations! Those are awesome fish. I haven't heard of Big K. Is it a private lake. It looks beautiful.

bass
bass
Looks like that was a blast and congrats on the PB! Is big K a private launch on the Umpqua?

How do you like those stabilizers? Is that so you can stand and fish?

troutdude
troutdude
Had not heard of this place before; but found this FB page. The website that popped up wasn't secure by the way. So I didn't launch any of those links.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBigKRanch/

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
bass said:
Looks like that was a blast and congrats on the PB! Is big K a private launch on the Umpqua?

How do you like those stabilizers? Is that so you can stand and fish?
Yes it's a 'private" stretch of the Umpqua, south of yellow creek boat launch.

I've fished around it but never in it, just hard to access that part of the river, even though you could obviously float it legally, they just own the land around it.

Super nice people, it's mostly cattle farm, but they have lodges and offer fishing charters

We saw all kinds of animals, 2 skunks, deer with their fawns, turkeys, bald eagle, ospreys/hawks, herons, snakes, and what I really believe were 2 otters.

It's 25$ to launch, but you'll need 4wd more than likely.

If you search it on Google earth it pulls up one of the houses on property, not the actual lodge.

So far the stabilizers are awesome, they add some noticeable drag, but I can stand up and fish, including land and release

I'm up/down a lot because I need to adjust the kayak, especially in current.

I really think a vectored rudder would help, but a nice Minnkota would also do it lol

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
troutdude said:
Had not heard of this place before; but found this FB page. The website that popped up wasn't secure by the way. So I didn't launch any of those links.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBigKRanch/
I do use their website but it is not secured, it's all still mom/pop, not sure if that's something they fix on their end?

I've always called with questions, super friendly on the phone

Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
NKlamerus said:
I do use their website but it is not secured, it's all still mom/pop, not sure if that's something they fix on their end?

I've always called with questions, super friendly on the phone
I'm no computer wizard. But I'd suspect that making their page secure would be done on their end. I never ever launch any site that doesn't show "https". Which means it's non secured. That's all I know. And if they made it a secure site, they would likely get more business. As folks would feel safe launching their site.

Anywho...glad to learn that they OFFer solid customer service. And I'm glad you had a pleasant adventure.

jamisonace
jamisonace
NKlamerus said:
Yes it's a 'private" stretch of the Umpqua, south of yellow creek boat launch.

I've fished around it but never in it, just hard to access that part of the river, even though you could obviously float it legally, they just own the land around it.

Super nice people, it's mostly cattle farm, but they have lodges and offer fishing charters

We saw all kinds of animals, 2 skunks, deer with their fawns, turkeys, bald eagle, ospreys/hawks, herons, snakes, and what I really believe were 2 otters.

It's 25$ to launch, but you'll need 4wd more than likely.

If you search it on Google earth it pulls up one of the houses on property, not the actual lodge.

So far the stabilizers are awesome, they add some noticeable drag, but I can stand up and fish, including land and release

I'm up/down a lot because I need to adjust the kayak, especially in current.

I really think a vectored rudder would help, but a nice Minnkota would also do it lol
Curious about the fee. Website says $75 to launch a boat or $25 to bank fish it. You launched for $25. Did the fee change?

I have some friends that want to fish it but I'm not paying $75.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
jamisonace said:
Curious about the fee. Website says $75 to launch a boat or $25 to bank fish it. You launched for $25. Did the fee change?

I have some friends that want to fish it but I'm not paying $75.
Not sure, I just tell them I'm gonna kayak it and fish the same hole or float it

And they charge me 25$

Maybe more for a full size boat?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Ok...I'll call them.

Thx

jamisonace
jamisonace
NKlamerus said:
Not sure, I just tell them I'm gonna kayak it and fish the same hole or float it

And they charge me 25$

Maybe more for a full size boat?
Drift boats are $75. Not worth it to me for bass. Maybe for Salmon....maybe.

We put in at another spot I know and fished about a 2 mile stretch. Caught fish throughout. Nothing big but got a couple chunckers. Company was great but I find bass fishing on the Umpqua so boring.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
jamisonace said:
Drift boats are $75. Not worth it to me for bass. Maybe for Salmon....maybe.

We put in at another spot I know and fished about a 2 mile stretch. Caught fish throughout. Nothing big but got a couple chunckers. Company was great but I find bass fishing on the Umpqua so boring.
Havent caught enough big ones get!

Everytime I go I bring some larger swimbaits, definitely seen some submarines out there.

jamisonace
jamisonace
NKlamerus said:

Everytime I go I bring some larger swimbaits, definitely seen some submarines out there.

Catch plenty of fish every year over 15 lbs. They just aren't bass. LOL

It's the hook, reel, land, release and repeat 100 times that I can't stand. When I was a kid I would fish until I got a big one and go home. Whether it was my first fish or my 50th. We would walk to the river almost daily. As a kid it was fun.

Now I'd fish for 12 hours for one salmon and enjoy it more than a 150 bass day.

No offense meant I'm just burnt out on bass after 40 years of fishing for them.

S
Snopro
NKlamerus said:
What's big on the Umpqua? Kinda spoiled with Gorge smallies.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Snopro said:
What's big on the Umpqua? Kinda spoiled with Gorge smallies.
Steelhead