Big Hatchery Steelhead

F

FishAssassin

Caught this bad boy today on a coastal river 31 inches and 17 pounds. I didn't even see him for about 5 minutes he held deep. I realized I couldn't land him where I was originally standing I had to try to convince him to go down river with me about 100 feet but he was trying everything he could to break my leader against boulders on the way down. By far my biggest hatchery steelhead yet. Caught him on a First Bite Jig. The battle lasted about 15 minutes. This fish was very strong and surprised me many times during the battle. And after all was said and done I came out the winner! Definitely a day to remember! :D

Admin

Admin

Admin
Nice catch! What do you think caused those scratch marks?

H

halibuthitman

steelhead will hug and try to wrap rocks, Ive caught a bunch of fish that were rock scratched when they are that bright... shows how hard it fought! How do you like that SST assasin? I just started using one and its way better than the celio I was using before, good sensitivity. Very nice fish.

F

FishAssassin

Not sure? Some are from it flopping on the rocks. But the others might be from predators or it getting wrapped up in my leader.

F

FISHHEADMAFIA

damm nice fish . very nice . scratches and all .

F

FishAssassin

steelhead will hug and try to wrap rocks, Ive caught a bunch of fish that were rock scratched when they are that bright... shows how hard it fought! How do you like that SST assasin? I just started using one and its way better than the celio I was using before, good sensitivity. Very nice fish.

Thanks, yeah the fish was hugging boulders so I am sure some of those scratches are from the boulders as well. Love the SST. It mends line so much better being that it is 10'6 long.

S

steelhead_stalkers

That has to be the fattest 31 inch steelhead ever!! My last 17lb steelhead was 37 inches long! Very cool and stout fish. Good job! :clap:

Y

youngbuck307

That has to be the fattest 31 inch steelhead ever!! My last 17lb steelhead was 37 inches long! Very cool and stout fish. Good job! :clap:

I found out the other day normaly with hatch fish a 30 inch steelhead is 10lbs or ever inch after that you add 1lb.... well looks like that will trick works really well... So you know if its a 31inch fish and 37lbs he was eating good!!!

Nice fish btw!!

C

Cohosanders

:clap:That is a sweet fish.I love the bloody ice pic. Way to get 'er done:)

T

Thuggin4Life

That is a plump fish. Very nice I'm sure you will never forget the experiance. I didn't even know hatchery fish came that big.

F

FishAssassin

That is a plump fish. Very nice I'm sure you will never forget the experiance. I didn't even know hatchery fish came that big.

I know what you mean. I thought for sure it was a big native at first. Until I saw the clipped fin and I was like this bad boy is coming home! I put it on my fish scale and it was 17 lbs! I should have got the girth. It cut some real nice thick fillets too. I felt like I was filleting a salmon. :lol:

S

steelhead_stalkers

Just in general that is a good way to get a weight for steelhead. 30inch fish is around 10lbs give or take a pound. Then add one pound for every inch from there. That is not always the case but it is pretty close most of the time. Its a good weight to get a quit take on a nate and guess the weight pretty close.

M

Mike123

I found out the other day normaly with hatch fish a 30 inch steelhead is 10lbs or ever inch after that you add 1lb.... well looks like that will trick works really well... So you know if its a 31inch fish and 37lbs he was eating good!!!

Nice fish btw!!

That fish musta had some LEAD in it's diet! haha

Nice fish! WTG!!

I think I'm finally done fishing for winters.. it's now time for springers, summers, and fresh winters on the Santiams and Willamette.

J

Johnny Southpaw

Nice catch! Bet those fillets were mighty thick! Keep up the good work and keep those pics rolling in!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

P

plunkme

that looks like the same combo reel and rod my dad bought at the sportmans expo this year :D

Top Bottom