Big cliff

C
Charlie_merrifi
Is big cliff the stretch of water between the two dams at Detroit.can you fish it. Put boat in. Any special regulations or tips

18406ej
18406ej
Charlie- Welcome to OFF. Yes, Big Cliff is the body of water between Detroit Dam and Big Cliff Dam. It has trout and whitefish in it, among other species, and is a very scenic body of water. There is a small boat landing in the form of an unimproved gravel ramp at the Detroit Poerhouse exit. It was closed for a while, so I don't know if it is in service right now or not. Powerbait, worms and lures all work well, and some big trout have been taken out of the lake. Big Cliff usually isn't stocked until June, so it is mostly holdover fishing right now. The body of water is open all year for trout fishing under the Oregon regs.

Good luck,

C
capblack
I second what ej said, and I will ad there is a sign on the powerhouse road that says big cliff is closed. so boats are out of the question at this time, but I have fished and have seen lots more fishing from the point, and the rock. these places can be accessed by parking on the opposite side of 22 about 1/2 way up big cliff. youll see two parking areas on either side of a creek. if you want a lot of action, go to detroit, but theres lots more big fish caught in big cliff. shrimp and crawlers. when they open the rd back up, park at the end and fish right at the deadline, at first legal. good luck, Brian

S
Specialed
My buddy took me up there a few years ago and we trolled ford fenders with wedding rings tipped with crawlers and limited out pretty easily-havn't been back since then-good luck!
capblack said:
I second what ej said, and I will ad there is a sign on the powerhouse road that says big cliff is closed. so boats are out of the question at this time, but I have fished and have seen lots more fishing from the point, and the rock. these places can be accessed by parking on the opposite side of 22 about 1/2 way up big cliff. youll see two parking areas on either side of a creek. if you want a lot of action, go to detroit, but theres lots more big fish caught in big cliff. shrimp and crawlers. when they open the rd back up, park at the end and fish right at the deadline, at first legal. good luck, Brian

C
Charlie_merrifi
Cool thanks guys. So when it's open to boats how big of a motor do you need

C
capblack
you could troll around with an electric if you wanted, the only time youd have a problem would be going from the ramp towards the dam when there letting water out, but I dont know why youd want to anyway. any motor you would use to troll detroit, would work fine in big cliff. good luck, Brian
Charlie_merrifi said:

R
RLK
Charlie_merrifi said:

In late summer I just use a pontoon and troll flies. If I have company my drift boat and an electric trolling motor

C
Charlie_merrifi
Cool thanks