Big Cliff Report

18406ej
18406ej
Got up at 0345 Monday AM and headed for Big Cliff Reservoir, just below Detroit Dam. I arrived at about 0445, and started fishing shortly thereafter from the bank near the powerhouse road. I threw some PowerBait as the Reservoir has just been stocked, and managed to land three small stockers (8-10"). I then got out my float tube and drifted around a bit in the water, throwing Roostertails and KastMasters, both of which got bites and followers, but no solid hook-ups. I then moved to the bank near the Powerhouse itself, and landed three more stockers on the KastMaster (blue/silver). By about 10:00 I had enough of the upper waters, so I drove down to the middle of the Reservoir near the creek ingress. Again, I had a lot of followers, but no takers for the KastMaster, the Roostertail or the Blue Fox. It was good to see the fish chasing my lures, although it would have been a lot better to have them take a bite.

Had one negative experience on the trip, when an older gentleman in a rowboat continuously (and apparently deliberately) trolled through the water that I was working from the bank. It is not as though he didn't have access to the whole rest of the lake with his vessel. Some people are just plain rude, I guess...Anyway, here a shot of one of the fish, and two shots of the panoramic view taken with my cell phone, which do not do the lake justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chris61182
C
chris61182
18406ej said:
It was good to see the fish chasing my lures, although it would have been a lot better to have them take a bite.

Yeah, I'd definitely give seeing them chasing over nothing any day. At least then you have the knowledge that the fish are there and at least somewhat interested. Then the job falls on the angler to figure out that last 10% :).

B
Boywhofishes
nice job! and nice report!:D:clap:

18406ej
18406ej
Stupid Fish

Stupid Fish

chris61182 said:
Yeah, I'd definitely give seeing them chasing over nothing any day. At least then you have the knowledge that the fish are there and at least somewhat interested. Then the job falls on the angler to figure out that last 10% :).

Chris- Yeah, those stupid fish did leave me the other ten percent, and I forgot to mention that I did throw everything at them that I had in the box when I saw them following. I think maybe the clarity of the water might have had something to do with it.

I forgot to mention that a lot of the water being dumped down from Detroit is now coming from the top layer of the lake, so the fish are a lot more active. Big Cliff is normally fed exclusively from Detroit's lower layers, so the water is a lot colder.

C
chris61182
18406ej said:
Chris- Yeah, those stupid fish did leave me the other ten percent, and I forgot to mention that I did throw everything at them that I had in the box when I saw them following. I think maybe the clarity of the water might have had something to do with it.

:D I guess they just felt like taunting you then :lol: sorry I couldn't resist.

I forgot to mention that a lot of the water being dumped down from Detroit is now coming from the top layer of the lake, so the fish are a lot more active. Big Cliff is normally fed exclusively from Detroit's lower layers, so the water is a lot colder.

That would probably make a good place to get a little bit away from the crowds over the holiday, most everyone will be up at Detroit.

Troutski
Troutski
What a Gem...

What a Gem...

18406ej said:
Got up at 0345 Monday AM and headed for Big Cliff Reservoir, just below Detroit Dam. I arrived at about 0445, and started fishing shortly thereafter from the bank near the powerhouse road. I threw some PowerBait as the Reservoir has just been stocked, and managed to land three small stockers (8-10"). I then got out my float tube and drifted around a bit in the water, throwing Roostertails and KastMasters, both of which got bites and followers, but no solid hook-ups. I then moved to the bank near the Powerhouse itself, and landed three more stockers on the KastMaster (blue/silver). By about 10:00 I had enough of the upper waters, so I drove down to the middle of the Reservoir near the creek ingress. Again, I had a lot of followers, but no takers for the KastMaster, the Roostertail or the Blue Fox. It was good to see the fish chasing my lures, although it would have been a lot better to have them take a bite.

Had one negative experience on the trip, when an older gentleman in a rowboat continuously (and apparently deliberately) trolled through the water that I was working from the bank. It is not as though he didn't have access to the whole rest of the lake with his vessel. Some people are just plain rude, I guess...Anyway, here a shot of one of the fish, and two shots of the panoramic view taken with my cell phone, which do not do the lake justice.

Some day...oh yes some day... That lake and I are going to meet, some day !! Thanks for the report and pictures.

Chuck

C
Combat Chuck
First time out today. I will call it exploring, not a skunk :D. Only had a couple hours on the water and I havent been on the water in months so I had to try something. Trolled and cast a couple spinners with no bites. It was cold, windy and the water was stained. The wind made it a real problem to get a consistent trolling speed... ya, that sounds like a good excuse.

18406ej
18406ej
Sorry to hear that things did not go as well as planned. Is there still snow on the ground up there?

C
Combat Chuck
There is spots of snow where it was piled up, thats all.

F
fish finder
Wow Ive Heard Of Bigg Cliff And Went Up There Once But I can't Remember Where It Is Where Is It

F
fish finder
take that crap off

F
Fish Dawgs
?

C
Combat Chuck
Nothing great, but here is a couple pics

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Rudeness does count...

Rudeness does count...

fish finder said:
take that crap off

Ummm,excuse me? I am sure I am not the only one confused about what you are referring to. Perhaps you could try challenging your vocabulary and expound upon your aforementioned statement. Did you actually mean to be rude or were you perhaps confusing our forum with another? We love discussing a wide variety of topics,but your chosen topic is not currently on our list. Care to chose another? You will find we are fairly tolerant of spelling errors and improper use of the English language here. But we are not tolerant of rudeness at all. Please re-consider your line of thought and respond without the rudeness.
Barb

J
Jmiddlestadt
Raincatcher said:
Ummm,excuse me? I am sure I am not the only one confused about what you are referring to. Perhaps you could try challenging your vocabulary and expound upon your aforementioned statement. Did you actually mean to be rude or were you perhaps confusing our forum with another? We love discussing a wide variety of topics,but your chosen topic is not currently on our list. Care to chose another? You will find we are fairly tolerant of spelling errors and improper use of the English language here. But we are not tolerant of rudeness at all. Please re-consider your line of thought and respond without the rudeness.
Barb

:clap::clap::clap:

F
Fish Dawgs
Combat Chuck said:
Nothing great, but here is a couple pics

did you catch anything?

C
Combat Chuck
those pics were from my trip this weekend, look a few posts higher

C
chris61182
Raincatcher said:
Barb

Raincatcher, is there not a moderator board for you guys? Or some sort of thread/post purgatory? Was this thread one that got some questionable content not that long ago? Perhaps that's what fish finder was replying to.