Big Catch!

B
bassman503
Lol joke. Was fishing at bonneville for shad and the dude next to me reels in a 3 inch shad hooked by the tail. Yes i made sure it was a shad.. any explanation why this shad wasn't exponentially larger?

N
nwkiller
thats funny one time while fishing the columbia i hooked a 3 inch shad on a 4 inch wobbler

B
bassman503
Hmm.. interesting that it's common

Reactions: OnTheFly
B
beaverfan
bassman503 said:
Lol joke. Was fishing at bonneville for shad and the dude next to me reels in a 3 inch shad hooked by the tail. Yes i made sure it was a shad.. any explanation why this shad wasn't exponentially larger?

Because it was a baby???????

B
bassman503
haha are you sure?lol. I pretty much meant why is it heading downstream or heading upstream?

D
Drew9870
Either a baby or a peewee, notice how Cats, Dogs, Chickens, etc sometimes breed and have a runt in the litter, could be.

B
beaverfan
The adult Shad come in and spawn. When the eggs hatch the little guys hang out in the river for probably a year or more and then head out to sea. This fish was probably one of those fish.

C
calamari
If it was California that would be an adult Threadfin Shad but Washington is not supposed to have any. If you catch or see another one like that, look at the dorsal fin and see if the ray closest to the tail is long and extends back an inch or so. If it does, keep it, put it in a jar of alcohol and contact the WDOFW because they'll really want to know about it. They compete directly with kokanee salmon and can depress or eliminate them from lakes.
[URL="http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=threadfin+shad"[/URL]