Big brown

F
fishindude
There was an article in todays Medford Mail Tribune that there was a 31 " 12.5 lb. German Brown caught a Lake of The Woods on July 21 . It was caught using powerbait ...........lol :lol::lol: Quite an impressive looking fish .

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
12.5 pounds is about average. Good sized, yes. But, not overly huge. The state record is over 28 lbs.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hey,troutdude,if I caught one that big...everyone would hear me "yahooing" about it! Not everyone has gotten into big fish,my biggest trout was around 2.5 pounds.

T
TTFishon
Raincatcher said:
Hey,troutdude,if I caught one that big...everyone would hear me "yahooing" about it! Not everyone has gotten into big fish,my biggest trout was around 2.5 pounds.

You're not the only one Barb. If I caught a trout that size I'd be high on the hog!

N
nwkiller
thanks man i was waiting for that

N
nwkiller
awesome fish

troutdude
troutdude
Jeepers, I didn't intend to offend anyone.

M
Markcanby
Well if you think about 31" is really good I mean that's over half the length of his boat.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Wow! I did not even know there were browns in there! Thats pretty cool. :clap:

M
Mad dog
Markcanby said:
Well if you think about 31" is really good I mean that's over half the length of his boat.

A 62" boat! :lol:

I have fished Lake of the Woods a lot! Maybe 15-20 days a year when I lived in Klamath Falls. Used to hammer the bass up there before they ever stocked browns in there. We used to troll the browns from ice out in early april or may until june, there are some nice ones in there, probably more over 10 lbs than a guy would realize! :cool: They feed pretty heavily on the Kokanee and yellow perch. Most big time brown baggers are more secretive than the fish they pursue, I know of several K-Falls residents that have taken numerous browns over 10 lbs in Lake of the woods, they just down tell anyone! :cool:

troutdude
troutdude
Wow, I think my float tube is bigger than that guys 62" boat. LOL :lol::lol:

Just wondering...do you suppose that there a lots of humongous browns in Klamath Lake too (that maybe kind of mirrors what was mentioned about lake o' the woods)?

T
Thuggin4Life
I would call it a trophy if i cought it since my biggest wasn't even qiute 4lbs so far but in realality its not a trophy at all just a bigger one. Nice fish though i am jealous. and on pb how crazy.

M
Mad dog
troutdude said:
Wow, I think my float tube is bigger than that guys 62" boat. LOL :lol::lol:

Just wondering...do you suppose that there a lots of humongous browns in Klamath Lake too (that maybe kind of mirrors what was mentioned about lake o' the woods)?

No stocked trout of any kind in Upper Klamath, not even bass can survive when transplanted. Too many parasites that kill the trout once in the lake, the same goes for the Williamson river and the Sprague river. Back in the 70's the ODFW stocked over 300,000 trout in upper Klamath and only 8 of them were ever reported caught! The ODFW also did a study with Largemouth bass about 10-15 years back that they kept in a penned off area....they all died as well!

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks Mad Dog.

So, are there any nates in Klamath?

And years ago I heard about some big browns (I think), in the Williamson. Not true? Nates only?

M
Mad dog
troutdude said:
Thanks Mad Dog.

And years ago I heard about some big browns (I think), in the Williamson. Not true? Nates only?

Browns in the Williamson are very rare, I have never caught one. They are common in the Wood river and its tributaries though. The Sprague river has a small population of brown trout in the mainstream that increases in the south and north forks of the Sprague. There 10 lb browns in the Sprague system but they are few and far between. I saw a 28" brown that was pushing 10 lbs caught on opening day back in the early 80's on Fishole creek that had a whole bullfrog in it's throat with the legs sticking out its mouth and it still had room to eat my step-fathers night crawler.

M
Mad dog
troutdude said:
Thanks Mad Dog.

I didn't answer your question fully with the above post. The rainbows in Upper Klamath are all native and are a strain specially adapted to survive in Upper Klamath.

troutdude
troutdude
Whoops. I actually was thinking of the Wood River, when I wrote Williamson. DOH!

Dang, that one brown sure was hungry if a frog wasn't good enough. LOL

Thanks for your posts!

T
tnffishman
I couldn't imagine fishing with pb off the bottom, gettin a bite, settin it, and havin that thing on the end of your line. My biggest with powerbait was an 18" rainbow outta clear lake and that thing fought pretty good. I've had one on in the 24-27 inch range but it snapped my leader on a jump

K
kawasakii9
klamath lake

klamath lake

guys i have been fishing the williamson for years and i can tell you it does have browns in it, but not the whole river for some reason. and he is right only certain fish can survive klamath lake's parasite and water content, altho near the springs you can catch perch, crappie and a few bass, 2 years ago was the last bass i heard come out of the rocky point area. the browns stay in seven mile, wood river, fort creek and the williamson. it is almost impossible to fish the first 3 anymore account private property. my biggest brown is out of the wood river at 8 pounds

L
lilsalmon
Raincatcher said:

No doubt.....everyone within a few mile radius would hear me if I got that.....yeehaw