Big big big bass!

B
bigfootfish
Talked to Gary Galovich today, warmwater fish biolgist out of the Adair office of the ODFW. One of the things I asked him was where would the biggest largemouth bass be found in the Willamette watershed. He told me did a snorkle survey of Garden Lake at Creswell some time back and saw huge bass in there. Thought I'd share.

T
tomriker
can i get the GPS coordinates?

F
flipper
Right off I-5 freeway.

43.922232,-123.009287

B
bigfootfish
The old fashioned co-ords would be Creswell exit east side right next to the northbound off ramp, on the northside of the exit.

F
Finneus Polebender
Stepson pulled one close to 9lbs from there few yrs back very difficult to fish and even tougher to land in that weed choked stocker pond .

B
bigfootfish
Finneus Polebender said:
Stepson pulled one close to 9lbs from there few yrs back very difficult to fish and even tougher to land in that weed choked stocker pond .

Gary told me of a fairly new herbacide for acquatic plants that is used in the spring when the plants are growing fastest that does not harm fish, amphibians nor people. Garden Lake and Bond Butte are their targets for next spring, he hopes.

U
usmc-recon
That used be my sweet spot years ago well before all the improvements it used be a mud whole with noisy traffic and airplanes which made it a very underfished spot. I've pulled numorous bass 5-7+ pounders catfish by buckets ect.
Fishing has allways been challenging. In recent years its become quite popular exspecally on weekends not sure how fishing is now

J
jawjacker
Gary told me of a fairly new herbacide for acquatic plants that is used in the spring when the plants are growing fastest that does not harm fish, amphibians nor people. Garden Lake and Bond Butte are their targets for next spring, he hopes.
If their gona kill the acquatic plants they might as well kill all the big bass in those lakes. Iv seen odfw ruin other fantastic warm water fisheries for trout stocking programs before. Bass & most other warm water species thrive in "weed choked lakes" because it provides oxegen, cooler water, shade, security, place to ambush prey ect the list gose on. Hope it dosent happen the answer to weed choked lakes is long powerfull rods and heavy braid. Weedless surface lures, heavy T-Rigs, jigs or punch rigs.

Reactions: flipper
U
usmc-recon
jawjacker said:
If their gona kill the acquatic plants they might as well kill all the big bass in those lakes. Iv seen odfw ruin other fantastic warm water fisheries for trout stocking programs before. Bass & most other warm water species thrive in "weed choked lakes" because it provides oxegen, cooler water, shade, security, place to ambush prey ect the list gose on. Hope it dosent happen the answer to weed choked lakes is long powerfull rods and heavy braid. Weedless surface lures, heavy T-Rigs, jigs or punch rigs.
Id have to agree on that right on the money. Anytime they say that want to improve it almost allways comes at a cost

H
Humungasoid
bigfootfish said:
Talked to Gary Galovich today, warmwater fish biolgist out of the Adair office of the ODFW. One of the things I asked him was where would the biggest largemouth bass be found in the Willamette watershed. He told me did a snorkle survey of Garden Lake at Creswell some time back and saw huge bass in there. Thought I'd share.

yo bigfootfish. i was reading some a your old posts. somethin you said in one a them lit a bulb in my memry and got me to wonderin about somethin. there was this dude about 35 or 40 years ago who had a cb handle same as yours, bigfootfish. he was fishin lake shasta and some kids flipped a canoe over and one youngster didn't had a life jacket on. hes started drownin and this guy hes just hooked a monster fish ands hes fightin it but he throws down his
pole to swim out to the kid and saves that kid. the fish swims off with his pole. was that you?

H
Humungasoid
got your message bro. sorry i wont keep quiet. that was my cousin you saved! thanks for that. to bad you lost that big fish!!!

C
colbypearson
jawjacker said:

true that

C
colbypearson
Humungasoid said:
got your message bro. sorry i wont keep quiet. that was my cousin you saved! thanks for that. to bad you lost that big fish!!!

it truly is a small world, THATS AWESOME!

B
bigfootfish
Humungasoid said:

Dang. Well heck. The funny side of that is that later on I saw my pole about 10 feet off shore. I swam down to it, grabbed it and discovered the fish was still hooked! I'd set the drag real loose before I put it down and wedged it between some rocks. I guess I didn't secure it so well as later afterwards I found my pole gone. Thought someone had stole it until another angler not too far away told me it went into the lake. I relized I had the fish still on just a few feet from reaching the surface. Now I know what it would be like to hook a fish in orbit. Weightlessness just like what a fish experiences. What a trip!!
Anyway, having the fish still on while floating underwater I had nothing to hang onto, which was spooky as heck. So the fish tugged on my pole. It was exhausted and surprisingly the hook came out of it and I recovered my lure.
Shasta Lake, or Lake Shasta as most people call it is absolutely huge. When at full pool it is right at 30,000 acres. Detroit Reservoir, when at full pool, is about 3500 acres, which makes Lake Shasta about 9 times larger than Detroit Lake. Awesome.

Last edited:
J
jawjacker
Garden lake Report

Garden lake Report

My friend and I wet a line this morning at Garden Lake. It is definitely a sludge pit but I can see potential. We only fished for a few hours and managed to catch 4 on frogs & T-Rigged soft plastics. The lake in the back might be worth putting a toon in if ya aint got nothing better to do. I didn't see why that pond would be better than any other pond around here though. I wouldn't mind getting into scuba diving my self and start doing my own under water surveys. Those guys on the TV show Hook N Look get fantastic footage of the under water world of largemouth and smallmouth bass. I love that show.

U
usmc-recon
Went out garden lake about noon burn some time tossing some frogs but nothing was hungry but I did have some excitement (not kind I wanted) ran into snake I thought was a bull snake till it started rattling I froze bout **** my pants I hate snakes I nudged it out of the way with 8 foot pole it took off then on last cast I seen something fallowing frog it was I believe another (didn't know rattle snakes can swim) but I took off that was enoph anyone else see any out their. Never seen any as a kid fishing out their and I sent rediculis amour of time out their. Just remember their their be cautious!

J
jawjacker
I was out their tip toe N in flip flops & shorts this morning thats just great to hear their's rattle snakes out their. Are you sure you weren't just over reacting or are you just trying to scare everybody out of their lol!

U
usmc-recon
jawjacker said:
I was out their tip toe N in flip flops & shorts this morning thats just great to hear their's rattle snakes out their. Are you sure you weren't just over reacting or are you just trying to scare everybody out of their lol!

Hell no I care less who fishes that mud hole scared bjisus out of me I hate those things just letting people know be careful

J
jawjacker
Good looking out! Those things can jack you up I hate poisonous snakes my self. They can be sneaky lil devils. The only good snakes a dead one.

F
Finneus Polebender
jawjacker said:
Good looking out! Those things can jack you up I hate poisonous snakes my self. They can be sneaky lil devils. The only good snakes a dead one.

They are really quite shy have been hoping to see one here soon with the dry run . The only prob is when you stomp on one with flip flops "sheesh between ColbyP "bare feet", you, and I " River sandals"they could write a book on what not to wear on bass fishin missions during the height of snake season. If you just dont blaze through the brush and make a bit of noise you will be lucky to see one let alone get close enuff to get bit . Although the fields are hunted by many animals here with the vole/mouse pop in the fields here I am suprised I have yet to get me a snake. They blend in so well out in the grass though I have prob passed hundreds.