Bethany Pond fishing

M
Moe
Anybody know where to fish in Bethany Pond? Either for Carp, Bass, Trout, or catfish. Also, where is the dam? I heard there is one.

Thanks, Moe.

A
Anyfishisfine
It's small enough that you can fish most of it in one go. As far as a dam, it isn't much of one if any, but the outlet is by the road.

T
topbloke
I was over there yesterday when the truck pulled up and planted the trout. I would guess most of the trout are still in the part of the pond nearest 185th.

W
Wake.Adrian
Heading out for some sunset fishing. I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

B
Born2Fish55
Corner of 185th and West Union blvd. just North of the Sunset Highway.

Park in the parking lot or walk to it from anywhere around Rock Creek. Easy access and fishing if fished early in the season prior to the ‘attack of the weeds’ and warming of the water. If you pay attention to the two maps you can see where the lake lies in the Bethany neighborhood in ‘A’ and how the lake really looks, as well as where to fish in ‘B’ photo. Notice that the area I circled just happens to be the deepest water in the pond. With the close proximity to the neighborhood, it was a great place to take my boys and their friends for a fun and relaxing day.

Bethany Pond contains Bass, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Catfish and Hatchery Trout (Clones). There are also some ‘recycled’ Steelhead in there from a few years ago. Fish light lines with long leaders, your best bet for ‘Clones’ is the chartreuse Powerbait, a worm/marshmallow sandwich, or small pieces of the Hatchery formula Powerbait fished 1 – 2’ off of the bottom or 3 – 4’ below a bobber cast out into the fishing area circled. You can get good numbers of Bluegill and Perch with Mealy Grubs and small lures. I will refrain from telling you what to use to catch the Bass and Steelhead as I like fishing for them from my Bucks Bags float tube.

Do everyone a favor and take a kid fishing!

Last edited by a moderator:
A
Anyfishisfine
My bad, I thought the flow went the other way. This might be a fun place to try out my pontoon.

B
Born2Fish55
I orginally thought that when I looked at it, but it drains over & through the little dam at the spill way into Rock Creek.... which by the way holds a few pretty decent fish in the pools scattered throughout its length. If you happen to drive Cornell... glance at the little ponds on both sides of the road at Rock Creek there. I have seen a couple of bragging size Bass pulled out of the one on the North side of the road. I caught a 14" Native Cutthroat Trout out of it as well... Catch and Release of course, but a fun, close to home fishery that most would never give a second thought about.

A
Anyfishisfine
One of my favorite C&R trout streams is small enough to jump over in parts. A fish with almost every cast.

T
topbloke
The best fishing for the planted trout is the half of the pond closest to 185th. Best place for Bass is the area close to the dam, in among the lilly pads. Been fishing it 3-4 times a week, 8 hours at a time, for the last 3 months. Was happier before the trout were planted last Monday - had the place to myself. :)

T
topbloke
Some lovely carp in there too. Saw a guy catch a 13lb carp today. Took him about 10 mins to land it using a light rod and tackle.

G
gibson
what lures work best at commenwealth and beathany?

what lures work best at commenwealth and beathany?

hi im new to both of these ponds and i have fished them before just never get a thing till i started to use a lure but its not working on trout and i like to fish for trout so if anyone has any ideas what color roostertails are working let me know please? if you can let me know what color buzz bait work for the bass too thanks!

D
Drew9870
In a pond like that, I would recommend a slow retrieve using the biggest nightcrawler you got for Bass, maybe a floating broken back rapala. If you can sight fish them with a nightcrawler, then thats even better.

B
Born2Fish55
I have had a lot of luck with streamers and poppers at Bethany... the Bass take both large Mouse or Frog flies. When the bite is on this little pond can be a dynamite fishery.

B
Born2Fish55
Here is the Map for the pond.... guess they time out after awhile!
Bass fishing was pretty good the other night.... pulled some fairly nice small Largemouth out of the weeds flipping worms deep into the weeds and pulling them out along the bottom... especially over by the woody stuff...

Okay.... not sure what is going on.... I can see my file attached, however I do not see any pictures on OFF???? :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
B
Born2Fish55
Just a follow up on December fishing at Bethany Lake.... decided to test out my new Lamiglas 9'6" rod and Shimano reel that I got from Santa... designed for Winter Steelhead ... running 12# Braid on it.

Tied on a short leader of 6# Fluorocarbon and a #4 Black Panther Martin, just to test the accuracy and see how the feel was... and to my rather pleasant surprise on the 1st cast, I hooked into a fabulous 'Native' Cutthroat Trout. This bad boy must have been a hold over from years gone by or swam in from Rock Creek during the high water, but non the less, he measured out at 16 1/2"... pure muscle and a fighter unlike I was used to catching from a pond. :D

Needless to say, that got my blood pumping... another 30 to 40 cast and did C&R on three more 10 - 12" holdover Rainbow plants... they fought like the normal Hatchery fish... minimal. But now knowing that there are some Native fish still present sure made my Christmas for 2016 :thumb:

Again, at Bethany Pond, I would not recommend keeping any of the fish myself, so I treat it as a 'Catch-n-Release' Fishery. And please...please...please... clean up after yourselves. I filled two trash bags with 'Fisherman' garbage... discarded line, lure packaging, bait containers, Soda Cans and more. Remember that this is the legacy we are leaving for our children, and a Garbage Dump just does not impress me. :sad:

Reactions: Admin