Bethany Pond and Commonwealth Lake

N
nwjames
Anyone know why there are no forums for these two locations that are near NW Portland? Have anyone caught any fish from these two locations? If so, please let me know what was caught and we lure/bait you used. Thanks! I have been to both of these locations probably two or three times without success.

NWJames:cool:

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome!

Welcome!

Welcome aboard Nwjames. Sorry about no response here. Personally, I have heard of them but never been to either. Not even sure of their location. Maybe a quick check with ODFW would get answers? I will check my websites and get back to you. Or you could look at boatescape.com or anglerguide.com/oregon . Good luck.
Barb

J
joro79
Hi, I live nearby Bethany pond and I plan to go there this weekend. In both lakes there are stocked trout. People say that there are Bass and Catfish but I have never got one. At Bethany there are big fish jumping out of the water and I think this is Carp. I personally don't like the Commonwealth. It is shallow and the water is not very clear. Last year at Bethany I had success using powerbait off the bottom. At Commonwealth I saw a guy killing them using salmon eggs. I am not sure if I am going to use it that way this year because of vegetation. I might use a float instead. They just stocked both lakes a week ago.

I hope this helps.

N
nwjames
Thanks for responses and suggestion! I just started fishing with my son so we have a lot to learn.

C
chris61182
joro79 said:
People say that there are Bass and Catfish but I have never got one. At Bethany there are big fish jumping out of the water and I think this is Carp.

I've never fished either Bethany or Commonwealth before as well, but you've peaked my curiosity with the carp. Was there a section of the lake they seemed to be favoring? I might try getting out there after them sometime this weekend.

J
joro79
So they jump mostly in the widest part which is towards middle of the lake, close to the houses there. I would love to catch some big carp there bu I dont have the patience to wait for one :). I might try stocked trout on corn and in that way I can catch some carp also.

C
chris61182
Thanks joro, I'll be sure to share a report if I get out there.

M
meluvtrout
Any recent action in Bethany or Commonwealth?

M
meluvtrout
Bethany Pond October 13, 2008

Bethany Pond October 13, 2008

Not to offend anyone, but seeing stinky ponds like this one makes me fall in love with rivers more and more...

Last edited by a moderator:
O
Obsessed
meluvtrout said:
Not to offend anyone, but seeing stinky ponds like this one makes me fall in love with rivers more and more...
Bethany pond never looks great, but it does look a little better in the spring when they stock it.

Reactions: beaverfan
F
FishSchooler
Just like mt hood pond... :lol:

B
beaverfan
bump...I fish both regularly each spring. They will be stocking both this week, I'm hoping and have a feeling it will be tomorrow so I will probably go to both to test the waters.

G
Geko125
Has any one tried Commonwealth yet?

B
beaverfan
I tried for a bit but they never stocked it due to low water levels. They have not rescheduled at this point. A few people that live on the lake told me they heard that it may not get stocked at all this year. The water quality is to poor.

J
JASMINE
From what I read and saw online, they are going to try and stock Commonwealth the week of 4/20.

B
beaverfan
Yep thats the next scheduled stocking. Hopefully they stock it it's a great spot.

G
Geko125
Anyone have any luck @ either Bethany or Commonwealth?

N
Noahk
Fish went in today to both Bethany and Commonwealth. Good luck!

A
Anyfishisfine
Commonwealth rocked today. 15-20 C&R, then I did my limit in 20.

It helped a little that I showed up just after the stocking truck :D

C
chancy.haux
Hello all. Well bethany lake has had many stories told. But here are a couple facts for everyone. I live very near by and frequently fish there. I have only been skunked once and pulled a 4 1/2lb largemouth out on a plastic yammamoto worm. Bluegill, trout, bass, catfish, and of course huge carp all live in there. Flys below a bobber have proven very effective for the panfish. And texas rig worms with no weight have been killing bass.
The pond is being dregged as I speak so with in the next week or so fishing will get better.
So all of us out here look forward to seeing all you having fun. And remember catch and release will help keep our population up and make this area a whole lot more fun for the young and older alike