Bethany Lake report

bass
bass
I took my 7 year old son to Bethany lake on Saturday May 21st to try and catch some carp. We ended up catching 8 trout in a couple of hours on doughball. I have occasionally caught trout on doughball before but never anything like this. We even had a couple of doubles on - although we were never able to get both in. Overall it was a lot of fun. It was a perfect evening: He got in a good bit of bike riding, reeled in a bunch of fish and went to sleep without a fuss that night :)

Besides the rainbow carp :D I tossed some soft plastic at the bass for a short while but did not get any bites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chris61182
C
Coyote
I caught a couple there a few weeks ago on orange powerbait, sounds like the doughball worked better though lol. Sounds like a good time. Didn't know there were bass in there, but I've only been there a couple times and I normally go for trout. Have you had much luck going for bass there before?

bass
bass
We did have a lot of fun. As for bass, I have caught them there but never a lot on any given day. They average on the small side (< 1lb) but I have caught them up to 3 lbs.

B
Born2Fish55
I have pulled out one just over 4#.... but like you, never many of them... it is more like a 1 fish 2 fish where fish no fish fishery for them. Have you caught yours from the shore? I either catch Bass casting toward the shore from my canoe or float tube.
You mention doughballs and Trout... have you tried adding a little garlic and coloring to it? I used a package of the unsweetened lime Koolaid mixed with 2 tablespoons of garlic juice... I did it more so some kids I took could catch fish... As J.J. Walker used to say, "Dyno-mite!"....seems to be a pretty good (wear gloves as the stupid Koolaid made my fingertips a funky green color).

B
Born2Fish55
Fished the Pond from the shore yesterday for about a hour....
Hatchery Trout on Black with Flame orange spinners....
caught eight 9 - 10" and one 6" Bluegill....
If I had been able to stick around and work the water, I think I could have pulled out a much bigger Trout....
kept having a 'lunker' follow the lure, but refused to strike...
Saw several fellow fishermen out there plunking or floating bait under bobbers...
Off to Lake Vernonia next weekend with the boat...

bass
bass
Born2Fish55 said:
I have pulled out one just over 4#.... but like you, never many of them... it is more like a 1 fish 2 fish where fish no fish fishery for them. Have you caught yours from the shore? I either catch Bass casting toward the shore from my canoe or float tube.
You mention doughballs and Trout... have you tried adding a little garlic and coloring to it? I used a package of the unsweetened lime Koolaid mixed with 2 tablespoons of garlic juice... I did it more so some kids I took could catch fish... As J.J. Walker used to say, "Dyno-mite!"....seems to be a pretty good (wear gloves as the stupid Koolaid made my fingertips a funky green color).

I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and my brother and I used to do a lot of carp fishing. We used to make a lot of cornmeal based, jello (instead of Koolaid) flavored and tobasco flavored doughballs. The other type we used to make (that I tend to use now) is wheat germ based with just some sugar and salt. However, when we were growing up a popular trout bait plunking bait was velveeta cheese with garlic salt worked into it.

Perhaps I saw you there on Sunday. I went with my daughter on Sunday for about an hour trying to catch a carp (and tossing a few bass lures) but we were denied :(

Good job on the trout!

bass
bass
Forgot to respond to the bass portion of your comment. I have only fished it from the shore and I have not fished for bass seriously there in a couple of years. I sometimes toss around a bass lure when I am there with the kids, but I have not fished there intensely in a few years. Good luck.

B
Born2Fish55
bass said:
I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and my brother and I used to do a lot of carp fishing. We used to make a lot of cornmeal based, jello (instead of Koolaid) flavored and tobasco flavored doughballs. The other type we used to make (that I tend to use now) is wheat germ based with just some sugar and salt. However, when we were growing up a popular trout bait plunking bait was velveeta cheese with garlic salt worked into it.

Perhaps I saw you there on Sunday. I went with my daughter on Sunday for about an hour trying to catch a carp (and tossing a few bass lures) but we were denied :(

Good job on the trout!

Were you at the spot by the first picnic table? If so, I probably did see you. I was fishing down by the dam last time.