Bethany lake 4/6/11

Gunga
Gunga
Hey everybody me and my uncle (Gungasuncle) went to Bethany lake yesterday. got there about 5:30 pm were there till about 8 pm. We were fishing for carp at first with bread and corkie as a strike indicater. One guy caught 2 trout which he gave to another guy that was fishing right next to us. He ended up leaving and gave us the rest of his worms. I myself got a couple bites but no fish. My uncle got a few bites and even had one on for about 7 seconds when it started to thrash on the surface it spit the hook. He was using the worms that were given to us. The bites we did get were very small bites barley taking the corkie under the water so we were thinking that it must have been small panfish or maybe a lazy trout. I threw out a few spinners and got 2 bites. But nothing after that. Hope everybody likes the report.

Tyer aka (Gunga the jungle boy):)

T
todd_brooks
That's interesting to hear I've thought about taking my nieces and nephews there lately. I fished it with a buddy several years ago after it was stocked. Man it was lights out fishing one after another crazy fish in a barrel like. We fished on the end by 185th with power bait.

Last edited:
Gunga
Gunga
Yesterday was my second time there. I havnt caught anything there yet but my uncle that i went fishing with has caught BIG carp out of there plus an asortment of smaller sized bass and panfish when it gets warmer. So i can't wait till it gets warmer so all the fish in there get a lot more active and ready to bite on anything i throw at them. I believe from other threads ive read on here chartruse paoerbait and sprimg green powerbait work the best out there. But i bet the trout will hit on anything you throw out there after all there stoker hot dog trout.

Gunga
Gunga
If your able to the week of the 18th of this month they are stocking Bethany with 1000 trout. So if you wanted your nieces and nephews to catch some fish that week and the week after would be the best time.

Heres a link to the stocking shedual

N. Willamette Trout Stocking Schedule - ODFW

S
Spydeyrch
I was going to head out there this afternoon. Either Bethany or Commonwealth.

If you guys are out that way and see a guy with a fly rod in slacks, business shoes, and an orange/fire red REI fleece jacket, that would be me! You are welcome to join me. :)

If I am not at Bethany, I will be at Commonwealth.

-Spydey

Yup, there are some pretty nice carp in that pond. I grew up just a few blocks from there and fished it for a number of years. I caught some pretty good catfish back in the day from the pond before the dredged it and filled it again

D
DubberPhisher
Hey Tyler, I saw you and your uncle as I gave that fish to the guy next to you. Sorry I didn't say hi, I was heading out. Man it was a great day for me there, I was about mid point on the south side fishing off the bottom with about a 30 inch leader, slide weight, and using rainbow power bait. They started hitting pretty good, I got 4 in about an hour. It was so slippery in the mud/grass there, I fell twice LOL. They didn't hit real hard at all, those poor trout seemed a little tired, and they were on the small end also. But, it was fun to land some fish for the first time this season. Thanks for posting this report Gunga :). Man, I wish I could get all that fishing gear off of the power lines hahaha.

Gunga
Gunga
Hey dubber i know what you mean about all that gear on the power lines. about 30 yards out where me and my uncle was fishing there was two huge tear drop weights that looked to be about an ounce each. We wernt initially fishing for trout or panfish there we started out wanting to get some carp. But they wernt biting so we tried some worm from the guy you gave the fish to and started getting bites. The first time i went out to Bethany i slipped hard on my back got absolutly coverd in mud. it was kinda funny though. I wish i had a car cause i would head out there right now but sadly i dont. trying to save up for one though.

P
PNW FunGuy
I went out there today with my wife, posted up around the bridge/waterfall goody for a few hours, couple of bites with some of the Gulp eggs, didn't feel much with the Gulp earthworms, all on the bottom, I tried a bobber for awhile but there was just no0o0o0o0o0othing happening with that. I threw out a piece of my processed cheese from our sandwiches on the hook right before leaving for dinner and I felt a lot of tugs. Go figure. I'm excited to go back tomorrow though, been a long time since I've been able to walk to a decent fishing spot with a lot of friendly people about. Going to have to get the wife a rod so we can double our chances...and so I can stay longer lol. If you see dreadlocks at the pond come say HI!!!

also, any suggestions as to baits/lures? Think I'll try corn tomorrow

D
DubberPhisher
Hey FunGuy..
I had fished the lake a few times...first I was casting lures....lots of lily pads and some plants, grass ect. no bites. The last time I went though, I was half way down, on the south side of the lake. I set up a sliding sinker with about 24 inches of leader and used rainbow power bait on a size 10 or 12 hook. I would cast out about 50 feet and let it soak. after about 15 min or so..I got a small nibble, and ended up hooking a little rainbow..10 inch or so. I kept casting in about the same spot, and caught 3 more ...about every 5 or 10 mins. They hit really soft...it was hard to tell I had a fish on until they got close to shore they would run a little...So I was just east of the Dam near one of the benches..actually I think its the first bench as you walk from the dam to 185th. I didn't have a huge amount of power bait on...probably just enough to cover the hook. I think it floated up off the bottom a couple of feet..this presentation seemed to work..also it was about 5pm. Look out for the power lines when casting LOL. You should get your lady set up too....like you said..more time..more fun..more chance.

T
tangov559
Decided to do some fishing at Bethany....got a bite on every 7-8 cast with a white rooster....great action today..I released most of them. only kept a couple for dinner.... :)

C
Coyote
DubberPhisher said:
Hey FunGuy..
I had fished the lake a few times...first I was casting lures....lots of lily pads and some plants, grass ect. no bites. The last time I went though, I was half way down, on the south side of the lake. I set up a sliding sinker with about 24 inches of leader and used rainbow power bait on a size 10 or 12 hook. I would cast out about 50 feet and let it soak. after about 15 min or so..I got a small nibble, and ended up hooking a little rainbow..10 inch or so. I kept casting in about the same spot, and caught 3 more ...about every 5 or 10 mins. They hit really soft...it was hard to tell I had a fish on until they got close to shore they would run a little...So I was just east of the Dam near one of the benches..actually I think its the first bench as you walk from the dam to 185th. I didn't have a huge amount of power bait on...probably just enough to cover the hook. I think it floated up off the bottom a couple of feet..this presentation seemed to work..also it was about 5pm. Look out for the power lines when casting LOL. You should get your lady set up too....like you said..more time..more fun..more chance.

I'm thinking of going out to Bethany for the first time tomorrow after work. I'll have to try this! Thanks for sharing.