Best way to kill a fish

K
kennyo
What is the most painless and compassionate way to kill a fish?
Please settle a family dispute.... Whack on the head or cutting an artery?:think:

F
FishSchooler
kennyo said:
What is the most painless and compassionate way to kill a fish?
Please settle a family dispute.... Whack on the head or cutting an artery?:think:

Don't catch it, and let it spawn and die. There you go.

You never said you wanted the meat. :D

C
chris61182
Whack then bleed.

A
A_J-Llama
Bft

Bft

Blunt Force Trauma, if you think about it:think::think:, if it were you:confused:, would you want to be unconscious as life slipped away:pray::pray: , or would you want your throat slit and feel the last of your blood drain out as you die ??? :shock::shock::(:(

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome

Welcome

Kennyo;
Welcome to the forum! You will have to excuse FishSchooler,he's getting geared up to go back to school soon. He gets a little whacky about this time of year.
To answer your question,BONK! :shock: And if you really want to be humane,don't let them see the rock or bat. ;) Then bleed them then remove the gills. Hope this settles it for you and you don't loose any money. :lol:

F
FishSchooler
Barb, are you kidding?! I don't want to go back to school! :protest: :D

T
Troutier Bassier
Dont want to go back to School?!?! Probally cause your gonna learn stuff. with 20 kids a class.
im gonna have 48 Kids per Class. so Im excited.

Take something and Whack it in the Head,

But fish dont feel pain.

T
TTFishon
Big fish I whack em on the head. Little fish I break their necks. It kills them instantly and bleeds them out at the same time.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Dont want to go back to School?!?! Probally cause your gonna learn stuff. with 20 kids a class.
im gonna have 48 Kids per Class. so Im excited.

Take something and Whack it in the Head,

But fish dont feel pain.

Fish don't feel pain? What are you talking about, how would you know? Maybe I think you dont feel pain, I'll just go over and bonk you on the head. :D

B
Brian Dupree
it is definatley the bonk. unless it is a smaller fish then break thier neck. the most important thing is getting the chance to do either...lol

A
Anyfishisfine
A quick whack with my pliers, or a rock does the trick. They die right away. I hit them right behind the hard part of the head on what I guess would be the neck, the thought being that I'm breaking the neck. Whatever it does, it works.

F
Fishtopher
I do my best to knock em out, then bleed em. So I guess they die whenever they die.

F
FishKiller23
This may sound bad. But I always bleed the fish right after catching it why its still alive... I was always told to do it while the fish is alive so it pumps the blood out quicker. I have bonked a fish then tried to bleed a few minutes later and I still had a lot of blood when cleaning it.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I'm sure most animals feel pain. They have to in order to survive. Otherwise there would be no incentive to keep their bodies intact.

*BONK*

*WHOOSH* (my grill)

O
OnTheFly
Tell you what ...if someone was hauling me in by a sharp object in my mouth you can be sure as it will rain in Oregon that I'd walk right into a net without a fight.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Cut the gills, take picture, then smash head in. :D

Fish do not feel pain. They get the guts torn out by seals and sea lions and yet they still swim up river and bite lures. That gurgling noise is them just being pi$$ed off. :lol:

C
chris61182
GraphiteZen said:
I'm sure most animals feel pain. They have to in order to survive. Otherwise there would be no incentive to keep their bodies intact.

I think they differentiate between feeling that negative stimulus+instinct and actually perceiving it as pain. I know I had just that type of experience last night with my grill, I accidentally brushed against it while it was hot and jerked my hand away even though I didn't feel it as pain for another moment or two.

G
GoneFishin2134
I just smack'em in the cranium. Seems to work, though a Fish once pulled my stringer off the boat, poorly tied. D'oh! My fault...:(

I don't think they feel Pain. I think they just know something has changed in their state of mind, instinct telling them to escape danger? or to Rest when wounded. Surprisingly some trouts' can take a few hits to make them deceased. Makes me happy that Fish&Wildlife breeds them Tough as nails!:)