Best trout recipe

O
osmosis
Try garlic, onion, ginger and lemon pepper, then put a piece of bacon in the body cavity.

yoshida's teriyaki sauce makes for some good fish too.

Reactions: wormosa
P
Pita
I'm nowhere near as fancy as this is gonna sound, but here's a killer recipe for trout and steelhead that I use when I have parties.

I make a mix of dungeness crab, bay shrimp and gouda for the stuffing and oven poach the fish with white wine and lemon, and finish it with chives and beurre rouge sauce.

MmMmMmMm .... might have to do that again soon. Good reason to catch more fish and have a party too!

T
trout37
Smoked Trout
I have a Traeger but any smoker should work (just not as good :) )

Fill a small pitcher with water, add a cup of brown sugar, half a cup of rock salt two tablespoons of Old Bay seasoning, black pepper to taste. Stir until everything dissolves.

Put cleaned trout with or without head in large freezer bag, pour contents of pitcher in bag and seal making sure all air is out. Put in fridge overnight.

Next morning pull the trout out of brine and air dry (or pat them down with paper towel if impatient).

Smoke 'em up for 7 hours. Peal and eat or carefully remove all meat and mix with a fettuccini alfredo.

Time consuming but easy and worth it.

F
fishin_fool
I smoke all my trout but I do have a great tomato basil marinade recipe for salmon that would probably work wonders for trout to.

T
Timber
A couple of them and not real professional sounding.

Whole bodied trout (but cleaned first - very important)
Fry up some bacon. Take the cooked bacon out of the pan and pour off some of the grease. Leave about 1/4 inch in the pan. Sprinkle salt to taste in the cavity of each trout and dredge in flour. Throw the trout in the pan but make sure the grease is just starting to smoke. Sprinkle outside of trout with salt and pepper. Fry each side until golden brown and crispy. Works best over a campfire along a stream or lake.

Sesame Trout (this is from my weak memory, so no guarantees - experiment)
Fillet the trout. Heat butter and olive oil in a fry pan with a dash of sesame oil. Squeeze lemon juuice on the meat side of the fillets and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dip the meat side in whole sesame seeds and fry meat side down first until light brown. Turn trout fillets over and finish off. It should be lightly browned on both sides. Hope it turns out because its really good when it works.

Now if I could only remember the deepfried whole bodied trout recipe I had many years ago in Newfoundland, Canada. It was cooked by a lady from Florida of all places and you could eat it like corn on the cob.

I'm hungry.

Reactions: Pita
T
Timber
Don't mean to change the subject, but has anyone have a different perch, crappie, bass or catfish recipe? Maybe this should be another thread as I don't want to disrupt this one.

T
Troutier Bassier
A different thread this Callls for!

C
chrishophoto
I usually prepare my pan-sized trout this way:

I bone and butterfly the trout, season it with salt, pepper, nutmeg and a little bit of dill, then dredge the fish in flour. Then I heat up a saute pan quite hot (don't use a Teflon pan for this, because they can't take high heat). Put a generous amount of olive oil in the pan, let that heat up for a few seconds and then carefully lay the fish in the pan (skin side up) and let is fry for a minute or two. You want it to be golden brown when you flip it over. Flip the fish and pour a generous abount of white wine into the sides of the pan and let it cook for another couple of minutes and then your done! This is a quick and tasty way to cook any trout that is 10-16 inches in length. I eat them this way all of the time, even when camping, using a fire instead of a stove top! A good piece of fish never needs much.

-C

C
chrishophoto
Timber said:
Sesame Trout (this is from my weak memory, so no guarantees - experiment)
Fillet the trout. Heat butter and olive oil in a fry pan with a dash of sesame oil. Squeeze lemon juuice on the meat side of the fillets and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dip the meat side in whole sesame seeds and fry meat side down first until light brown. Turn trout fillets over and finish off. It should be lightly browned on both sides. Hope it turns out because its really good when it works.

This is a great way to do trout, and I used to prepare this dish when I used to cook at a Greek Restaurant. We called it Psari Psito, but I am not sure if this is a truly authentically Greek recipe. Really good though!

Last edited:
C
chrishophoto
Here's one that a friend sent to me, but I haven't tried it yet:

Here's one that a friend sent to me, but I haven't tried it yet:

Grilled Trout with White Beans and Caper Vinaigrette
If you've got some fresh-caught trout, we know just what to do with it. This incredible main-plus-side requires very few ingredients and is easy enough to make at your campsite or cabin. (And you can use store-bought, too: In that case, you should ask your fishmonger to bone and butterfly the whole trout for you.)
2 SERVINGS
PREP: 30 MINUTES
TOTAL: 30 MINUTES

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon drained capers
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed, drained
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
2 10-ounce cleaned boned butterflied trout
1 cup coarsely sliced arugula

PREPARATION

· Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Cook butter in small skillet over medium heat until brown, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in oil, then shallots, vinegar, capers, and rosemary. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.

· Mix beans, lemon peel, and 2 tablespoons vinaigrette in medium skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

· Brush a little vinaigrette over flesh side of trout; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place skillet with beans on edge of grill to warm through. Grill trout, flesh side down, until brown, about 2 minutes. Turn trout over; grill until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer trout to plates. Mix arugula into warm beans; spoon alongside trout. Rewarm remaining vinaigrette; spoon over trout and beans.

C
chrishophoto
Here's a photo of that last dish:

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
I tried a trout almondine once my wife looked at it and would not touch it. So for me it was back to the basics and simplicity. The key for me is a cast iron pan and gas stove. Flower salt and peper olive oil and save the lemon for the plate. Osmoisis I'm going to try the bacon for sure. Chris your recipes sound great too. But I could not force my hand to pour white wine into a hot pan. It would have to go into a cool glass to go with the trout. :lol: Timber I like that sesame oil one might have to give it a try. Here are a couple of pics of a dinner I cooked for my self usuing the simple recipe. Yes I ate all four of them and they were steelhead from Lake Simtustus.

Last edited:
W
wormosa
chrishophoto said:
Grilled Trout with White Beans and Caper Vinaigrette
If you've got some fresh-caught trout, we know just what to do with it. This incredible main-plus-side requires very few ingredients and is easy enough to make at your campsite or cabin. (And you can use store-bought, too: In that case, you should ask your fishmonger to bone and butterfly the whole trout for you.)
2 SERVINGS
PREP: 30 MINUTES
TOTAL: 30 MINUTES

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon drained capers
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed, drained
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
2 10-ounce cleaned boned butterflied trout
1 cup coarsely sliced arugula

PREPARATION

· Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Cook butter in small skillet over medium heat until brown, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in oil, then shallots, vinegar, capers, and rosemary. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.

· Mix beans, lemon peel, and 2 tablespoons vinaigrette in medium skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

· Brush a little vinaigrette over flesh side of trout; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place skillet with beans on edge of grill to warm through. Grill trout, flesh side down, until brown, about 2 minutes. Turn trout over; grill until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer trout to plates. Mix arugula into warm beans; spoon alongside trout. Rewarm remaining vinaigrette; spoon over trout and beans.

sounds really good chris thank you

W
wormosa
Irishrover said:
I tried a trout almondine once my wife looked at it and would not touch it. So for me it was back to the basics and simplicity. The key for me is a cast iron pan and gas stove. Flower salt and peper olive oil and save the lemon for the plate. Osmoisis I'm going to try the bacon for sure. Chris your recipes sound great too. But I could not force my hand to pour white wine into a hot pan. It would have to go into a cool glass to go with the trout. :lol: Timber I like that sesame oil one might have to give it a try. Here are a couple of pics of a dinner I cooked for my self usuing the simple recipe. Yes I ate all four of them and they were steelhead from Lake Simtustus.

where is lake simtustus at?

Irishrover
Irishrover
wormosa said:
where is lake simtustus at?
You can cook the fish you catch there anyway you want. However it seems we have some excellent cooks here on this forum and I think I'll try some of their recipes!

Reactions: wormosa
F
fishtales
Marinate in Italian salad dressing with an extra pouch of dry Italian salad dressing mix in the mix and cook. This is the I do it.

F
FishSchooler
Marinate it with salt, steam it, and eat with rice!
We actually used to do this quite a bit. But too much salt is gettin in.

S
steelheadstalker31
I always fillet my trout so keep that in mind. I use italian bread crumbs, add some garlic salt and grated parmesian cheese, then dip the trout fillets in egg(beaten off course) then cover them with the bread crumb mixture and fry in olive oil until golden brown. Simple and yummy, goes great with a side of mac&cheese.

P
Pita
Irishrover said:
Chris your recipes sound great too. But I could not force my hand to pour white wine into a hot pan. It would have to go into a cool glass to go with the trout. :lol:

Yeah rover, I hear ya on that one! I usually have to 'test' the wine first to make sure it's suitable for the trout. I then continue testing all the way through dinner! :dance:

Someone messaged to remind me that I forgot to post the beurre rouge sauce recipe ...

Saute in Same Pan:
2 medium shallots, minced
1/4 sliced onion

Deglaze with, and reduce:
3/4 cup Madeira wine (or any dry port, sherry or marsala wines)
2 T. Balsamic vinegar

Slowly whisk in 10 T. unsalted butter

Season and garnish with:
Salt and cracked black pepper

Lots of awesome recipes posted here, thanks everyone, I printed them all! :D

-Chris

D
dangerranger
my favorite trout recipie:

clean your fish and cut the heads off
cover the whole outside and inside of trout with mayo (i know it sounds wierd)

the spice it up with salt and pepper, garlic powder, anything you want
chop up some onions and add some fresh garlic

wrap the whole thing up in foil, and turn the ends of the foil upward

throw it on the bbq for about ten mineutes a side
when you open the foil all the skin will stick to the foil and you can grab the tail fin and peel it up, most all of the bones will come right out of the meat, it makes the fish super tender and tastes pretty darn good:D