Best time for vacation?

M
Mmfh
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of staying a week at Ft. Stevens this August and thought about planning our vacation based on how the fishing was at coffenbury.

I usually go there every year and the last several years the kids and I just haven't done well at all and now the kids are starting to lose interest in fishing :(

It used to be something that the kids and I really looked forward too and I fear their desire is fading away.

Can anybody tell me the best time to fish that lake and where on the lake you would go and what you would use.

I used to go on the back side away from the ramp and go back into the trees and fish off the bank. Nothing good in the last few years.

What do you think??

Thanks very much!

Mm

B
beaverfan
Not sure what you will be fishing for but if it's trout your after. The water is too warm. If I remember right they canceled the last stocking there due to too warm of water. It does have lots of warmwater species so you could try for some bass. When you get into July and August most of the lakes are going to be too warm for trout.

M
Mmfh
Well that explains why in the last several years during the summer I have not done any good.

I've always fished for trout as that is all I've ever pulled out of that lake.

I guess I didn't realize that the water temp was so critical to the success of a fishing trip.

If you were going to go for Bass would you probably want to be out in a boat? Maybe the upper end? Very early in the morning?

Thanks very much!

Mm

B
beaverfan
I've never been there so I don't know the layout of the lake. Early morning would be a good bet. Bass like cover so try under docks, in heavily weeded areas, under submerged trees, etc. Frog patterns are money in heavily weeded areas. There should be some brown bullhead in there. Just toss a worm out with a little weight and they'll suck it up off the bottom. If you really want to try for trout stick to deeper water. Like I said I've never been there so I don't know the layout but if there are any areas that you know are deeper than the rest you might be able to pick a couple up with some powerbait or worm and marshmallow.

M
Mmfh
I might try that, thanks for your reply!

Mm

Troutski
Troutski
Spring and Fall

Spring and Fall

Mmfh said:
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of staying a week at Ft. Stevens this August and thought about planning our vacation based on how the fishing was at coffenbury.

I usually go there every year and the last several years the kids and I just haven't done well at all and now the kids are starting to lose interest in fishing :(

It used to be something that the kids and I really looked forward too and I fear their desire is fading away.

Can anybody tell me the best time to fish that lake and where on the lake you would go and what you would use.

I used to go on the back side away from the ramp and go back into the trees and fish off the bank. Nothing good in the last few years.

What do you think??

Thanks very much!

Mm

Early Spring and Early Fall for Trout, Summer months are reserved for Bass and Sunfish - from shore that is. Now if you are lucky enough for access to a magic carpet (boat), keep your presentation down deep, I mean really deep and you will be having Trout for Breakfast..

Chuck

M
Mmfh
Trout for Breakfast!!!

Now your talking! That is our family tradition around here when we camp at Ft. Stevens. Come back with a stringer full of trout and cook um up for breakfast.

I might take a magic carpet ride out to the middle and drown some worms on the bottom :D

Thanks for the tip!

Mm

F
fishgriller
beaverfan said:
Not sure what you will be fishing for but if it's trout your after. The water is too warm. If I remember right they canceled the last stocking there due to too warm of water. It does have lots of warmwater species so you could try for some bass. When you get into July and August most of the lakes are going to be too warm for trout.

the only warmwater species ive ever caught or even seen caught are perch out ofthat lake have any of you guys ever caught a bass bluegill or crappie out of there?

Last edited:
A
alm21
I took my kids there on Friday 8/28. We fished from the bank at the South Picnic area. When you are in the parking lot facing the lake, we went down the far right side straight to the lake. We got there around 2pm and the weather was wet/raining and the air temp was fairly warm.

Using Rainbow Glitter Power Bait, we caught a nice 11" rainbow followed by a fat 13" rainbow. We had another fatty on the line (it took some line out) but lost it before we got it in because we were passing the pole to the kids so they could feel it - otherwise we would have landed it. We had a couple other missed bites too.

We left around 5:30-6p. We weren't killing it but it was a decent trip and the kids were stoked. There were no other people fishing the south side and only a couple on the North.

M
Mmfh
It sounds like you went exactly where I usually go. Sometimes we do pretty good but the last couple of years not so great.

I was thinking about waiting until the water cooled some and heading to the coast maybe next month.

Trout for breakfast!

Mm

P
platteflyfisher
Coffenbury

Coffenbury

Camped at Ft Stevens, it was stocked with 500 trophy last week. My buddy caught 14" to 16" fish regularly with a silver Kastmaster. I caught a lot of 5" to 7" fish on barbless flies. He kept one for dinner so they are still awaiting your presentations.