Best time for Clear Lake fishing

M
MbigcatchJ
When is it the best time for Clear Lake fishing? what kinds of fish will you catch?

Troutski
Troutski
Are you talking about the headwaters of the Mckenzie River?

M
MbigcatchJ
Yes, that clear lake. I 'v been there before and used worms as bait but didn't catch anything. is there a good time of the year to fish or are worms the wrong bait to use?:confused:

J
jkeek9
ive always had tremendous success at clear lake. ive fished there anywhere from may all the way through november and always caught fish. later in the season try powerbait, although it is never fun to use. also try anything that wobbles (spoons). in the spring trolling is best but spoons have worked for me every time i go. fish arent huge but sure are fresh in that freezing water. have caught one that pushed 18" but thats it of any size. hope you find this information helpful. pm me if youd like. good luck and can't wait for the weather to be nice!! :cool:

C
chris61182
MbigcatchJ said:
does clear lake just have trout in it?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. It's just too darn cold for anything else.

J
Jmiddlestadt
I've fished Clear Lake since i was in grade school! The most amazing lake that i've been too. (the high lakes are my goal this year!:dance:) Anyhow, I've always done very well with Rooster Tails (Black, Fire Tiger, and White). As far as anything other than Rainbows, I've caught countless Beautiful Brook Trout under the bridge at the headwaters of the McKinzie. Used a metallic green corky with a worm for them. I'm gonna try and get the new Pontoon boat out there this year. No motor boats:naughty:, just row boats;), and you can rent one at the Lodge for the day too! Good Luck to everyone!:D

J
jkeek9
are there any fish in clear lake that are monsters. cause ive only caught fish ranging from 8-13" mostly. Only one larger fish at 17". there any 20-30" ers out there??

J
Jmiddlestadt
jkeek9 said:
are there any fish in clear lake that are monsters. cause ive only caught fish ranging from 8-13" mostly. Only one larger fish at 17". there any 20-30" ers out there??

Mostly 8-13" I'm sure there are bigger fish, but i have yet to catch em;)
Not sure if there's enough forage in the lake, because it's so clear and cold.

Crane Prarie from what i hear has some pretty big fish!:) might head that way this summer!

J
jkeek9
clear lake 5/17/08

clear lake 5/17/08

Fished Clear Lake with my friend this weekend and arrived at mid morning. Despite recieving a painful sunburn we caught a few fish. We expected a better day fishing however. Nothing of an size, all caught on worms

B
Boywhofishes
I've been up there for 3 years now, and the fishing from my point of view is superb, the best time for me to fish was in late july early august, in the evenings, and on into dusk. The only bati that i used was some pink power bait, that seemed to nail the hatchery fish like leaves falling from a tree in november. we also tried a variety of lures, some 1/6 golden rooster tails, some 1/6 mepps, and some other ones, i've forgotten the names of, but they didn't work anyways.

well that's my advice, hope you get a big one!

-Boywhofishes:dance:

Last edited:
R
rainbowfisherman
does anyone every fly fish this lake??

W
wormosa
is this the same clear lake that is on the mckenzie and has a damn on it?