Best SW Washington lake for Trout

F
fishgood
Just bought my Washington license. I have never fished up there, just checking to see if someone might be able to point me in the right direction.
Thanks!

M
muskieguide
For trout, you might try battleground lake or klineline (spelling) pond near the kalama, or horseshoe lake in woodland, the cowlitz river below barrier dam on down to mission bar. For kokanee, try merwin or yale in woodland, riffe and mayfield off exit 68. For bass try silver lake by castle rock or horseshoe, riffe lake for large and smallmouth, also the occasional huge brown or cutthroat in there too. For tiger muskies try merwin or mayfield for those monsters. For salmon and steelhead, try the lewis, kalama, or the cowlitz. I can tell you when where and how to catch anything up there if you want. Just ask. I'm a lifelong resident up there til last year and have been a guide up there for over 10 years. Always happy to help

F
fishgood
Thanks muskieguide!

M
muskieguide
Anytime. PM me and I'll give you my phone number so you can call before you go. My wife and me are actually lookin at movin back up there and I plan on fishin the hell out of the state startin here in a couple weeks and can have current info for anyone headed up there

O
OutdoorsTeen
Swift, Kidney, Swift, Merwin, Swift , Yale, and did i mention swift?

B
BothKindsOfCool
OutdoorsTeen said:
Swift, Kidney, Swift, Merwin, Swift , Yale, and did i mention swift?

I have also heard some good things about Swift.
I just started getting my WA license again last year and I have had decent catches at Battleground and Horseshoe Lakes. Both of those are great for small boats.
My next lakes for me to try are Swift, Mayfield, and Kress.
Washington license are very reasonably priced for non-residents. Plus, there is plenty of close water to try for Portland area residents.

F
fishgood
Thanks everyone!:D

Last edited:
N
njbinkers
ok here is the list for trout:
for vancouver area: battleground lake, klineline pond, lackamas lake/round lake
near kalama/woodland: kress lake, horsesure lake, lewis river
hwy 14 lakes: icehouse lake near bridge of the gods, Kidney Lake (located near Old Bonneville and north of Highway 14), Ash Lake (the small lake located just east of the Bridge of the Gods), Tunnel Lake (just east of “no-trout” Drano Lake), Northwestern Reservoir, Rowland, Spearfish (north of The Dalles), and Horsethief. Some, like Rowland Lake, are planted with a mixture of 9 to 11 inch hatchery planters along with a generous supply of what the state calls “trophy trout”, which can reach 20 inches or more.

here is a link to an from Buzz Ramsey that goes more into detail Columbia River Gorge Angling | Berkley Fishing

R
Reed
Riffe Lake on hwy 12 is good for silvers, bass & other critters, I hope you didn't get a 2010 license that just expired... I haven't made the trip to Riffe yet this year but it should be good fishin, have ya got a boat?

D
donb
I haven't been there for a number of years, but Coldwater Lake which was formed when Mt. St Helens blew has some really nice fish in it. No bait allowed, one fish limit over 16", electric motors allowed. The lake is right at the foot of the Coldwater Ridge Volcano visitors center, approximately 100 miles from Portland. Here's a link to the WDFW for specifics http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00957/wdfw00957.pdf.

Limited access available; contact National Volcanic Monument Headquarters, (360) 449-7800 or
(360) 274-2114, for specific information.
CLOSED WATERS - all inlet and outlet streams.
ALL SPECIES - selective gear rules. Internal combustion motors prohibited.

Most people use a sinking line and drag the bottom with wooly buggers, although there are hatches that will bring them to the surface also. These fish somehow survived the volcanic event and are the most beautiful fish you've ever seen.