Best style float tube

R
rainbowfisherman
I was just wondering what everyne recommends as a float tube. I wil be using it at smaller local ponds during the winter. But during the summer i might use it at a lake like paulina, 3 creeks, harriet...ect. So im thinking a u boat would work the best. But im not sure. Also if theres any certain models or brands.

Thnaks
-Rainbowfisherman

O
osmosis
I have an old school round inner tube type. my only complaint about it is that you are at complete mercy of the wind.
Neoprenes this time of the year are nearly a must. Trolling sinking fly lines and nymphs with them is both very productive and a good workout for your legs.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I have a Caddis innertube type float tube my wife has the more comfortable arm chair type (u boat). My son also has the arm chair style. I prefer to use one of theirs. To me they just seem more comfortable. I haven't used my float tube since I got the 8' pontoon though. If you can check out a pontoon before you get the tube. They are so much faster and when the wind kicks up you can move better. Kicking against the wind in a float tube is tuff work.
Here is a shot of our tubes up at Rock Creek Reserviour.

Last edited:
18406ej
18406ej
I have tried both styles, and enjoy the u-shape best. I got mine new for about $200 at the old Sportsman's Warehouse in Salem. It lets you sit with your body out of the water, has better manueverability, and has a nice storage space right behind the seat for tackle box, anchor, net, etc.

You are more than welcome to take mine out for a spin to test one before you buy. Just drop me a PM and we can set it up. I do agree with Irishrover- if you can afford a pontoon, and have the means of transport, you should look into one. I went with the tube because I can throw it into the trunk of my Taurus and go, leaving the gas guzzling Suburban at home.

Last edited:
R
rainbowfisherman
My biggest problem with the problem is the transpertation...To get it to and from a lake would be a lot more diffuclut.

R
rainbowfisherman
And also the qualty pontoon boats seem like there about 400 $

Irishrover
Irishrover
Well those are valid reason to go for the float tube over the pontoon boat. They do cost less and are more portable. They are also fun to catch fish out of. You are so low in the water that it gives you a different perspective when playing a fish.;)

R
rainbowfisherman
I found one at the creek company. Its an odc. Its 180$ for the booat, fins, and pump...seem like a good deal???

M
Mike123
rainbowfisherman said:
I found one at the creek company. Its an odc. Its 180$ for the booat, fins, and pump...seem like a good deal???

That link he posted has one for $100... and the auction ends in 28min.. Better hurry. Fins are cheap, so are pumps.. garage sales and craigs list.

R
redhawk50
I had a U tube. Loved it but kicking around with my knees against the wind was an issue. Mainly because I am tall and my seat was short so the kicking angle was not comfortable for me. I have since purchased a Toon and love it. Still can kick it but can cruise around a lot more easily. It is a huge difference in transportation though but my toon fit in my SUV so it is all good. Mine is a trout unlimited version.

F
freeflyin
Pontoon

Pontoon

Rainbow,
If you are still looking for a boat I have one that I have never used for sale right now for $175. I took it out of the box and put it together and never used it, it's sitting in the carport right now if you're interested. It is the Creek Company 8ft. pontoon and comes with pump oars and I have a rod holder. Regardless if you buy mine or not, I would definitely recommend a pontoon boat. I used to have a 9ft. pontoon and I loved using it but I sold that one and bought my 8 footer and now that I have a kid and another one the way I really don't see myself getting to use it enough to keep it. Let me know, and if anyone else reads this they are welcome to contact me as well. Go catch some fish regardless!!!!!
Troy

R
redhawk50
Another thing to think about, all though I don't think it is a big deal because it goes to a good cause, is if you get something over 10 ft you need the new permit each year for invasive species. With fees it is $7 a year.

R
rainbowfisherman
My biggest worry with a pontoon is transportation. Are float tubes really that bad in a lil wind?

R
redhawk50
little wind is no issue because you are so low to the water. Bigger wind it is an issue. I was up at Trillium Lake one day and actually carried my float tube to the north end then fished as I got blown to the north end then hiked back and repeated the process because it was easier then kicking against the wind. Now would a pontoon have made that much difference that day...only in the fact that I could have rowed up against the wind to the north end with my fly in the water rather then walking with my fly out of the water. I am keeping my float tube because of lakes that you have to hike into. But if I can park near the water then I am a lot more happy with my Toon then my float tube. Luckily my pontoon fits in my SUV fully assembled minus the toons not being attached and half deflated so all I have to do is pump the toons and strap them on and I am good to go.

C
Cake
Funny you should ask,

Last edited:
C
Cake
never mind

D
dude young
I have a Trout Unlimited Togiak float tube. I like it. It is the 'pontoon' style rather than the U-boat or inner tube style. It tracks real easy like and has plenty of storage in the sides and behind the seat. It has back-pack straps, so it is easy to carry to remote ponds.

I don't really take it out if it going to be windy, so I cannot comment on that. The only thing that I would say the pontoons have over 'belly boats" is the being above the water thing. You cannot float a river with your feet dangling in the water. For that, I plan on picking up a drift boat some day.