Best spots for beginner fly fishing

wiggley1
wiggley1
Bare in mind with a 3#, I've caught 19 inch Cutts on the Wilson. But you also may catch 10 pound steelhead by accident. So be careful and have fun.

B
brokencoastal
Hey everyone, it's been five months since I started Fly Fishing, and what a journey it's been! I've been hitting the Deschutes River pretty hard. Camping out in Maupin and am happy to report that I've been catching quite a few fish! Yesterday I actually lost count because I found some really good holding water!

For other beginners here are a few things I've picked up over the past months.

1. Buy a good pair of waders and make sure they fit. I personally rushed into buying mine and ended up with a size way too big. In fact I still think my waders are too big!
2. Felt soles are super nice on slick surfaces but are not the best for winter as the snow sticks to them.
3. Don't buy a nice fly reel or you will be ruined forever! I came up on a Ross Reel last week and there is no way I can fish anything else now.
4. Euro Nymping is really productive in these winter months where the fist are down low. Do it.
5. Winter fishing is the best because the rivers are less crowded and you can really sharpen your skills for when more rivers open up and the fish are more active.
6. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and ask questions. Up until recently, I've been really shy in Fly Shops but everyone that works at a Fly Shop is stoked to talk about fly fishing.

Hope this helps some people! Here are some pics from the latest adventures.

• brokenandcoastal_319282879_695778218679057_5896340328080620982_n.jpg
  • brokenandcoastal_322421341_716437766627402_3414764133637845892_n.jpg
  • brokenandcoastal_323079439_618178369993939_1988240450005140304_n.jpg
  • brokenandcoastal_324117846_710200497260115_4608319947252216798_n.jpg
Reactions: SparkyofSoCal, Admin and mattsavage
M
mattsavage
Great post! Thanks!

Have you parked at the Deschutes River State Park (at the confluence of the columbia) and ridden the trail up from there, fishing the lower,lower section? Thats my goal this spring, do some bikepacking up there during the stone/salmonfly hatch. I've heard the fishing isn't as hot as up at warm springs or trout creek or maupin, but since its roadless I can't imagine it gets that much pressure either, other than boaters.

So far I've only hit the Deschutes once this winter, before Xmas. Probably below average results for the area. a lot of work in $hitty conditions. Like 34 degree sloppy wet snow and wind all weekend. But, beats sitting around the house.

Reactions: Admin
B
brokencoastal
mattsavage said:
Great post! Thanks!

Have you parked at the Deschutes River State Park (at the confluence of the columbia) and ridden the trail up from there, fishing the lower,lower section? Thats my goal this spring, do some bikepacking up there during the stone/salmonfly hatch. I've heard the fishing isn't as hot as up at warm springs or trout creek or maupin, but since its roadless I can't imagine it gets that much pressure either, other than boaters.

So far I've only hit the Deschutes once this winter, before Xmas. Probably below average results for the area. a lot of work in $hitty conditions. Like 34 degree sloppy wet snow and wind all weekend. But, beats sitting around the house.
I've done that twice, and I broke my rod tips riding into a tree! I swore to myself I'll never do that again. Both times the fishing was slow, but I've also learned a lot since then. Do you ride at Rocky Point?

M
mattsavage
brokencoastal said:
I've done that twice, and I broke my rod tips riding into a tree! I swore to myself I'll never do that again. Both times the fishing was slow, but I've also learned a lot since then. Do you ride at Rocky Point?
Yeah, I used to, quite a bit. Since it was so hot this summer and fall, and since i picked up fly fishing, I decided to spend more time in cool streams with the doggos, its easier on them (and me). Honestly, i'm not super missing slogging away up those climbs, or any of the climbs we have around here...šŸ˜‚ But, this spring i will start using the bike more to get me out to more areas. A natural progression from gravity to chill rides as i get older...
I figured you were the broken and coastal media guy, we probably have a bunch of mutual acquaintances in the portland bike scene.