Best single barbless hook for inline trout spinner

D
DevilDiverDown
A buddy and I want to switch out all of our spinners this winter from treble barbed hooks to single, barbless hooks for all of our inline trout spinners. We have a couple hundred spinners - mostly Blue Fox and Panther Martin inline weighing 3/16 oz to 1/4 oz but also some smaller and larger (ranging from 1/8 - 3/8 oz) - and are trying to find what the best hook and size would be for that.

Thanks in advance.

S
Snopro
Gamakatsu open eye siwash. Pinch the barb and offset the hook point a bit with a pair of pliers.

Reactions: DevilDiverDown and Troutski
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Try adding two hooks, pointing opposite directions. You still get the benefit of a single point hook but better hook up ratios.

Reactions: DevilDiverDown
P
portlandsupersonics
For trout spinners I typically like size 8 and 10 with the open eye siwash. I also just replaced mine.

D
DevilDiverDown
nikita_pdx said:
Try adding two hooks, pointing opposite directions. You still get the benefit of a single point hook but better hook up ratios.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "two hooks, pointing opposite directions." Actually, I am sure I don't know what you mean. ;) I can understand how I would do that on a long bass crankbait that has two spots for hooks but not sure how that looks on a small trout spinner.

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
DevilDiverDown said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "two hooks, pointing opposite directions." Actually, I am sure I don't know what you mean. ;) I can understand how I would do that on a long bass crankbait that has two spots for hooks but not sure how that looks on a small trout spinner.
same eye, clamp two siwash hooks on it so the points face the opposite direction. Since you have two hooks facing opposite directions the hookup ratio is better, almost that of trebles. However, since the hooks are separately attached to the eye, they move independently and if both go in, neither will rip out the other (like trebles) since they aren't attached to each other. Most of the time though only one will get pinned, so you can put the pressure on. I don't know about steelhead or salmon, but I have more success on trout this way.
Untitled drawing (1).png