Best places to catch catfish near Hillsboro?

TheCrazyFarmer
TheCrazyFarmer
Hi there! This is my first post here, and I was hoping you guys could tell me the best places to catch catfish near Hillsboro OR.

Anywhere under 2 hours away from Hillsboro would be Ideal.

I would be interested in catching bullheads, or channels, but I don't really care what kind, just want catfish!

By the way, I plan on eating these, so it can't be contaminated water like the willamette, or the columbia river systems.

Thanks, Johnny.

B
BrandonBeach
Mouth of the John Day,

Been a while since I’ve fished catfish up there, had no trouble catching a bunch then, they weren’t the biggest.

Caught them about everywhere in the mouth,. Best was up at the boat in park after dark.

Worm on the bottom.

Bit of a drive.

Good luck, BB

TheCrazyFarmer
TheCrazyFarmer
BrandonBeach said:
Mouth of the John Day,

Been a while since I’ve fished catfish up there, had no trouble catching a bunch then, they weren’t the biggest.

Caught them about everywhere in the mouth,. Best was up at the boat in park after dark.

Worm on the bottom.

Bit of a drive.

Good luck, BB
Thanks for the reply!

TheCrazyFarmer
TheCrazyFarmer
Any other places a bit closer?

plumbertom
plumbertom
Best I can tell There are brown bullheads in almost every water around the Willamette drainage.
just find a relatively calm water and toss out a piece of crawler on a smallish hook.
Bullheads love crawlers more than any thing else I've found.
As I understand it there are channel cats in Bond butte pond (Limit 2 per day per person) and maybe some ponds closer to you.
You might contact ODFW directly to see where else channels have been planted around your area.
As far as those John Day cats there are plenty of them and good sized to boot, But even those up near the narrows have undoubtedly been in the main Columbia river so you'd be better off fishing elsewhere for non polluted fish.

M
Micmcneal
I like LePage park at the mouth of the John Day River where it pours into the Columbia. I don't have a boat but ice I've gotten blues and channels from the bank and dock. Pulled a 6lb blue cat out just yesterday from the dock 9/15/19

TheCrazyFarmer
TheCrazyFarmer
Micmcneal said:
I like LePage park at the mouth of the John Day River where it pours into the Columbia. I don't have a boat but ice I've gotten blues and channels from the bank and dock. Pulled a 6lb blue cat out just yesterday from the dock 9/15/19
6 pound blue!?!?!

Holy crap, what a catch!

TheCrazyFarmer
TheCrazyFarmer
I hear there are big bullheads in Hagg lake? Where on the lake should I look?

Thanks, Johnny.

Reactions: Zakaster
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
TheCrazyFarmer said:
Hi there! This is my first post here, and I was hoping you guys could tell me the best places to catch catfish near Hillsboro OR.

Anywhere under 2 hours away from Hillsboro would be Ideal.

I would be interested in catching bullheads, or channels, but I don't really care what kind, just want catfish!

By the way, I plan on eating these, so it can't be contaminated water like the willamette, or the columbia river systems.

Thanks, Johnny.
Not under 2 hours but if you ever get near idaho for a trip or vaca or whatever, go to Brownlee Rez, biggest catfish that i've seen in oregon.