Best place to grab a winter on Santiam N

T
The Tightest Line
I was just wondering where right now is the best place to grab a winter Steelie this time of year on the North Santiam. I have some brand new Waders waitin' to be used and what i should use? Thank Ya:rolleyes:

R
rainman
John Neal Memorial Park. I mostly use roe under a bobber or else bouncing on the bottom. Bobber/jig and spinners can produce as well. I've been wanting to drift a pink worm, but haven't done it yet.
The Rock Garden hole is just upstream from the take out.
They close the park during the off season on account of vandalism, but it's a cake walk getting there.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Well only 128 winters have been "counted" on the 3rd over the dam so far. So it may be a little early. I think February and March is the time to go.. Not saying you can't catch one in Dec. or Jan.. just a lot of rivers that you have a better opportunity in.

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
can you walk in if the gate is shut?have u ever fished the ponds right before you get to the park?

C
capblack
john neal

john neal

yes, you can walk in if the gates closed. And yes Ive fished the ponds. Ive caught bass, catfish and all kinds of panfish. Its a nice place if you have kids. But as far as winter steel this time of year, I would stick to the coastal rivers for a couple more months. Good luck, Brian