Best piece of advice....?

H
halibuthitman
Ive noticed a lot of newbies comment on the lack of actual fishing info they say is here, Im not so sure of their opinions but figured hey, lets build a thread of ultimate wisdom... so, at one time someone gave you a tip or trick, mabe a piece of advice that changed your fishing or mindset... if its not too secretive, please share it here... imagine you just put a rod in apersons hand for the first time... what would you teach them.... i,ll start

always beat the sun on to the water....

D
dude young
Keep your rod tip UP!

T
Thuggin4Life
If you aren't catching fish get out and fish more.

T
TTFishon
Let it go so when you catch it next time it will be bigger.

T
Troutier Bassier
always make a plan before hooking a fish...

O
OneMore
When drift fishing always use the lightest weight you can. Your not trying to dredge the bottom. You only want to hit the bottom a few times during your drift. Oh yeah and jigs don't catch fish! ;)

B
bigsteel
if your line isn't in the water your not gonna catch anything

M
Mike123
Your not gonna be a good steelheader when you first start. It takes time, sometimes years. DONT use what everyone else is using. Do your research online, and do your OWN research on the water by trying things out and eliminating the things that don't work.

The most important thing there is, is to be able to read water and know where fish hold. I see tons of newbs on the river fishing in places where fish never hold. They think it's what they're using, but really there is just no fish in front of them. Really steelhead aren't that hard to catch if you know where they're on the river and where they are holding in the river.. Depth. Most always on the bottom.
Oh and don't waste your money on a big un-sensitive rod that's not designed for steelhead. There are plenty of good cheap rods out there for around $40-$80...

There, that's enough info for now.

C
ClearCreek
Learn the waters you fish, observe those that catch fish, study the species you are fishing for, and don't be afraid to try new techniques, new equipment and new waters. Experiment - that is half the fun or it!!!

ClearCreek

T
Troutier Bassier
Buy a pair of polarized glasses and sit near a hatchery and look at fish, This way you will get used to seeing fish in the water, and look at were they are holding.

O
OnTheFly
leave all bananas at home

T
Throbbit _Shane
OnTheFly said:
leave all bananas at home

Is that only for steelhead or what? Ill bring one trout fishing, i can eat it while driving.

Bring some nightcrawlers with you. And make sure they're alive before you buy :D

A
adambomb
If you are fishing spinners, and you aren't loosing any tackle, you are not fishing deep enough.
Fish can't teleport, so when they are on the move there is no "bad" water.
Fish every cast, even the bad ones, all the way to bank, every time.
Every rock is a fish, and most fish feel like rocks at first.
The worst day fishing is still better than the best day working.

M
Mike123
adambomb said:
If you are fishing spinners, and you aren't loosing any tackle, you are not fishing deep enough.
Fish can't teleport, so when they are on the move there is no "bad" water.
Fish every cast, even the bad ones, all the way to bank, every time.
Every rock is a fish, and most fish feel like rocks at first.
The worst day fishing is still better than the best day working.

Last time out I caught one on my spinner, then got it hung up over a dozen times and for some reason that thing would not break off!! So I got to fish the same spinner all day and I still got it! It's my lucky spinner, I don't think I can fish it anymore. :lol:

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Throbbit _Shane said:
Is that only for steelhead or what? Ill bring one trout fishing, i can eat it while driving.

Bring some nightcrawlers with you. And make sure they're alive before you buy :D

Sharpen your hooks so that they dig into your finger nails. They must not scrape them, they dig. Now, use good line for your conditions. Use black snap swivels so that it doesn't take away from your presentation. Slow down the action of your lure because you are trying to imitate a wounded fish minnow. Drop your rod at the end of your cast and slow retrieve, trying to gain depth as you do this. Set Hook hard, bury those hooks. Steelhead are in water off the fast and they are somewhat lazy trying to consearve energy so fish slower water. Always pick up trash throughout your day. You will leave it a better place for someone else.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Throbbit _Shane said:

Truthfully? osmosis put bananas to the test and it came out inconclusive. Or it made no difference. It's just a topic we can play with:D

My advice: NEVER..NEVER.. go trout fishing without wooly bugger patterns.:) 'THE' best searching fly ever. IMO

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
Truthfully? osmosis put bananas to the test and it came out inconclusive. Or it made no difference. It's just a topic we can play with:D

My advice: NEVER..NEVER.. go trout fishing without wooly bugger patterns.:) 'THE' best searching fly ever. IMO

+2:D black, brown, green, and yes yellow.;)

T
Thuggin4Life
I never believed the bananna thing and caught fish while eating one. If you think you are bringing too much gear bring some more.

E
eggs
When in doubt set the hook.. at sometime it won't be a snag and there will be a fish on the other end.. once you get that feeling you won't forget it and feeling the bite comes easier. Remember that no matter how good you get you will still miss more bites then you will feel...

R
rainbowfisherman
I've noticed that the fishing allways seems better on the river your not fishing. To be successful you need to learn a river. You have to put your time in.