Best kayak

E
ethan213
Looking to buy a sturdy kayak that can be used for bay fishing, salmon fishing, crabbing, etc. Located in Portland. Any places for a beginner to look?

E
ethan213
@rogerdodger thanks for the quick reply. Pretty pricey for me. Anything a little cheaper? If I have to, I will probably get something like that, though!

S
Snopro
Cheaper....Used Ocean kayak Trident 13.

Reactions: Huntinglover and ethan213
00Swede
00Swede
Hobie is expensive but your post did say "Best". I saw this one at Bi-mart. Didn't really inspect it and probably made in China but looked like it would be worth a try at that price. Plenty of rod holders and gear tracks and it is a peddle drive.

Best kayak

Reactions: ethan213
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
00Swede said:
Hobie is expensive but your post did say "Best". I saw this one at Bi-mart. Didn't really inspect it and probably made in China but looked like it would be worth a try at that price. Plenty of rod holders and gear tracks and it is a peddle drive.

I can't find any info online about that BiMart "Cascade Pro" kayak, so no comment. I assume it had a rudder and steering control?

I would say that if the plan is to use the kayak for "bay fishing, salmon fishing, crabbing, etc.", then "Best" and "Safest" are sort of the same thing. :cool:

C_Run
C_Run
Ethan, I don't know if you want a pedal or paddle type kayak. I have just been paddling Ocean Kayak Tridents both 13' and 11'. I have only bought one new and the other four used. If you like that type, expect to pay 50 cents on the dollar for used and probably get some extras thrown in. That is my experience. Check Craigslist and NWKA forum for kayaks for sale. People are always selling their old kayaks. Test them out at your local paddle shop to see what you like.

E
ethan213
I was thinking one of those pedal kayaks would be most easy to use.

Reactions: Huntinglover
00Swede
00Swede
rogerdodger said:
I can't find any info online about that BiMart "Cascade Pro" kayak, so no comment. I assume it had a rudder and steering control?

I would say that if the plan is to use the kayak for "bay fishing, salmon fishing, crabbing, etc.", then "Best" and "Safest" are sort of the same thing. :cool:
Hope you weren't thinking that I was saying that BiMart kayak was "best" because it is very likely not. Just looked like he might be looking for a less expensive option. It did look like the rudder and steering control were there and decently equipped.
I have 2 Hobie I11s inflatables that I bought for times that I am towing my travel trailer and can't take my boat but fish them a lot at home too. They have put me onto so many fish that I never would have gotten. I don't fish the bays though.
Might step into one of those new Outbacks someday though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ethan213 and rogerdodger
JasonInBend
JasonInBend
The "Cascade Pro" is throwing me off on that kayak in BiMart - it looks an awful lot like a Riot Mako 10, which I know BiMart carries. There are reviews on youtube for the Mako 10, which is known as being a budget-minded pedal drive kayak. I fish from a regular paddle kayak regularly and wish on just about every trip I could keep my hands free and have a pedal drive. I would keep an eye on some of the fishing forums classifieds along with local craigslist to get an end of season deal. Northwest Kayak Anglers is one that seems to have regular postings: https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?board=3.0

C
Cooper
They also have some at Cabela's. A dedicate fishing kayak would most likely best meet your your needs. More rod time and less paddle time is nice and peddling is a plus. Rod holders and storage place makes things easier. Along with the above, there's Face Book Market place to look.