Best jig head paint

F
fish_4_all
Okay, before anyone says it, I can't use powder paint on them. The melting point of the lead free stuff is below the baking temp for the powder paint, way below.

I want something that is super durable, glossy and/or flat, dries in a couple hours or less. Preferably something that is semi soft so when I make jigs on it the paint will not make the material slip down the head. Something that doesn't have a long lasting odor would help too.

Any thoughts?

Yah, 100 posts. I have no life :confused: :naughty:

M
meluvtrout
fish_4_all said:
Okay, before anyone says it, I can't use powder paint on them. The melting point of the lead free stuff is below the baking temp for the powder paint, way below.

I want something that is super durable, glossy and/or flat, dries in a couple hours or less. Preferably something that is semi soft so when I make jigs on it the paint will not make the material slip down the head. Something that doesn't have a long lasting odor would help too.

Any thoughts?

Yah, 100 posts. I have no life :confused: :naughty:

"Anodizing" might be your answer. google search for "anodizing at home"...

B
BobberDown
Jig Head Paint

Jig Head Paint

You might want to look at vinle paint it is a very durible finsh you simpley dip your head in the white primer and then it dry's in about 10 to 15 min than dip it in the color than let dry than dip it in the clear cote and that is it you have a very nice looking jig head and it is the tuffest paint out there i use powder coat now do to the need for production but that will problee be your best bet componit systems makes some grate stuff you can get it from netcraft orbarlows good luck
Dan

F
FishSchooler
Welcome to the forum! You are our 2nd bobber down fellow here, the other one is bober down or something like that. :D
I needed a way of painting too, but a member who makes jigs just says use regular old nail polish.

B
BobberDown
That mite work I have never looked into that i am a jig builder my self i own a jig company and paint a lot of jigs i have a lot of vinyl paint I use to use it befor i started painting thousands of heads it can be a little tricky to use you have to thin it out a little but i will say itdoes make some of the ncest looking heads i have ever sean well not at myhand my buddy does so awsome vinyl work im not as good with the vinyl as i am with the powder paints but if you guys deside to give te vinyl paint i may be able to offer some tips on the use good luck guys
thanks Dan
PS sorry if the spelling is bad ithas never bean my strong suit

D
Dichrofisher
I wonder if that tool handle dip stuff would work...

B
BobberDown
it would you know i have herdof a cuple people useing that stuff for jigs it would but make shure not to clog the hook eyes i bet it would be tuff to clean out that stuff would make a bulet pruff head:clap:good idea

G
Green_Tackle
We're in the same boat. We prefer the Pro-Tec style powder paints as they are a little better for the environment, however, the bismuth-tin alloys we're playing with have a low melting point. We're experimenting with lower/longer curing times and different alloys. I'll let you know if we find a good way to make it work.

Are you also using bismuth-tin for your jigheads?

F
fish_4_all
I get mine from 1aB and they are alloys of tin and bismuth. Haven't tried lower temps for the PP but I don't mind using other paint. I will find something that works for me. Thinking of using the vinyl paint that is used for plier handles. Thin it down a bit and ready to go.