Best braid

F
fishwithdynamite
I was wondering what brand of braid will work best for my spinning reel? It is a 4000 shimano spirex on an 8'6 ugly stik. Thanks in advance for any comments.

M
Mike123
My favorite braid is Tufline. It's super limber and I use it on spinning reels all the time in 65lb. Power Pro has too much memory IMO. Fireline is garbage.

F
fishwithdynamite
Thanks for your input. I have heard the same about fireline.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I would not say fireline is garbage. :lol: Been using it for three years and I have used pretty much all other braids as well. There was a test they just did that I read where fireline 20 lb broke at an average of 55 lbs!! The others like tuffline, powerpro 20 lb broke at an average of 30 lbs. I use fireline in 10 lb and 14 lb at the most and it will never break, mends perfectly and sits high on the water for float fishing. I also use it with great results drift fishing. Why would you ever use 65lb braid Mike, unless you are talking about salmon? Even then that's a lot of strength. Isn't 65 lb what the bass guys use. :)

F
fishwithdynamite
Very interesting, thanks SS for your .02. Maybe I should look into getting some more spools for my reel. :lol: Then maybe I can try em all. What about wind knots, tangles, etc.? I have only ever tried Power Pro, and a few times, I cast my lure out just to see it free flying over the water, then plunk into the drink for good. Hate that. It also gave me some killer knots that were buried so deep that I had to put new line on, and head home for the day.

J
JeannaJigs
Agreed on fireline being garbage. Hate the stuff. It frays like mad. Power pro is eh? for the price..not terrible but it does have memory. I use 65 pound for tidewater chinook, but steelhead nothing more than 12 pound. The tidewater application is the only time I don't use it with a float. I hate the stuff for drifting. Due to availability, I think i'm presently running 12 pound power pro on my float rod, my casting distance is not what it used to be now that I've got a driftboat, so the memory isn't an issue.

G
Growbug
I just started using braid and went for Power Pro (cheap in Bi Mart) at #15.
It casts like a dream, doesn't have much drag in the water, and doesn't make noticable noise at the guides.
So far, I love it.

G
Growbug
fishwithdynamite said:
I have only ever tried Power Pro, and a few times, I cast my lure out just to see it free flying over the water, then plunk into the drink for good. Hate that. It also gave me some killer knots that were buried so deep that I had to put new line on, and head home for the day.

I had that lure problem the first few times after putting the braid on.
Worked out that it was me being the weak link.
I forgot that you need to use different knots for braid, standard mono knots just slip straight through and bye bye lure.

M
Mike123
steelhead_stalkers said:
I would not say fireline is garbage. :lol: Been using it for three years and I have used pretty much all other braids as well. There was a test they just did that I read where fireline 20 lb broke at an average of 55 lbs!! The others like tuffline, powerpro 20 lb broke at an average of 30 lbs. I use fireline in 10 lb and 14 lb at the most and it will never break, mends perfectly and sits high on the water for float fishing. I also use it with great results drift fishing. Why would you ever use 65lb braid Mike, unless you are talking about salmon? Even then that's a lot of strength. Isn't 65 lb what the bass guys use. :)

I use 65lb for float fishing chinook. I broke 65lb one time by getting rubbed on ledges on the Alsea. I can't stand Fireline, but to each his own. You can bend that stuff like steel wire. You could probably use it to make a coat hanger! :lol:
I don't use braid for steelhead. My little steelhead floats don't pull enough drag for me to use it.

Troutski
Troutski
Fireline...

Fireline...

I can't say enough about Fireline....have used it for more than ten years and the only problem I have had is the price...great in the field. You thought it was going to be such a easy way to choose a new line...ask a bunch of anglers and you will get a bunch of answers. Try to digest the reply's and make the decision based on your application. I use spinning gear for most of my Steelhead and trolling, any braided line you use will take that stretch away from the hookup and put more fish in the net. Tight lines

Chuck

M
Mike123
Yea I guess there are a lot of opinions. Try all of them and choose which one for yourself. Realize, with all that shock not being absorbed by your mainline, it's gonna go through your leader and your rod a lot more. So either a softer rod or bigger leader may be needed. We don't know what your fishing for though, or what your rod action is though. ;)

S
steelhead_stalkers
I have never used 65lb fireline so I don't know about being able to bend it like a coat hanger. :lol: The 10lb and 14lb though don't bend and have just enough body that you don't have problems with tip wrap. I know lots of guys who like power pro for float fishing as well. I am running spiderwire invisibraid on my rods this winter and its similar to fireline except no fraying and seems to be a little more slick as far as how the floats slide through the line. So far so good. Mike I think you would like using braid for float fishing. The 8lb and 10lb are awesome for light line jig fishing. I always have used braid for float fishing but for those who have not you might have to adjust your drag and how you "swing for the fences" when using braid. You know who you are too. :lol: The nice thing is on long drifts where you can still get a good solid hookset from a good distance.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Braided line floats...

Braided line floats...

It is great for bobber angling, the line floats and acts like a 100' strike indicator...
I also agree with Mike123, by removing the stretch from the line you need to adjust the flexibility of the rod or use a leader of mono for that shock. I use 100% fluorocarbon for my leader...not as much stretch as mono but enough to take up the shock of a very nice fish on a lighting run...be still my heart.

Chuck

M
Mike123
I'll stick to my Big Game mono thank you very much! :D:lol:
And my CXX for drifting and spinners.

I'm stuck in my evil ways I guess.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I hear ya! Its hard to change up when you are so confident in something. Fishing is all about confidence and superstitions. :lol:

F
fishwithdynamite
Thank you all for all of your input. I really appreciate it. The rod I use is a medium action ugly stik, and not really all that sensitive. I guess that means I'll have to get some good leader since the flex on my rod isn't great. I'll head over to Fisherman's tomorrow and get laced up. :dance:

F
fishkiller
I run 12# P-Line on my float rod. It casts a long distance and seems to be really strong. It's kind of pricey. Just keep your braided out of direct sunlight for long periods and you'll be fine.:)