best bait for trout?

B
bigair42385
not much of a tout fisher, probably cuz the few times ive been i havent had any luck. maybe 3 total in the 5 times ive been. was just wondering what people like to use. ive used many colors of powerbaite, worms and salmon eggs, wedding rings. is there something else or am i just trash at trout fishing? lol ive gone to benson lake like 3 days after it was stocked with 3k trout and didn't hit s$!&! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
S
SmallStreams
Oooo, nasty opinion time! :rolleyes:

_If_ you're going to use bait, then the best bait, particularly this time of year through September, is the lovely grasshopper. Find a meadow and go running after them and keep in a coffee can, making sure you feed them with grass every once in awhile. Lawn grass, that is <ahem>.

Personally, I like using lures because it is sooo much easier to toss back, er, release the small fish when they haven't swallowed the bait into their belly. Just about any in-line spinner does nicely, except when the fish don't want them and then it's up to you to try something else (reference my recent post about clear deep pools where the roostertail and bangtail were just plain ignored).

Now here's where my opinion is, er, vastly different:
Fishing for hatchery fish is a waste of time. ODFW could do better by just delivering the hatchery fish in the mail to people rather than putting them in reservoirs and lakes... more of the fish would actually get to the people who want them and the survival rate of the fish would be higher.

There, I've said it and I feel better. :dance:

B
beaverfan
SmallStreams said:
Now here's where my opinion is, er, vastly different[/B]:
Fishing for hatchery fish is a waste of time. ODFW could do better by just delivering the hatchery fish in the mail to people rather than putting them in reservoirs and lakes... more of the fish would actually get to the people who want them and the survival rate of the fish would be higher.

There, I've said it and I feel better. :dance:

Not trying to rag on ya or start an argument but can I ask why you feel that way? If people want them they just have to put in the time learning to fish like the rest of us had. If you are talking about hungry people getting food, groceries stores sell trout and accept foodstamps. IMO they stock fish in urban areas to give children and people that can't get out that much a chance to catch some fish too. Stocked trout DO provide meals to those low on funds but that is not the primary purpose.

H
Hooked on fishin'
bigair42385 said:
not much of a tout fisher, probably cuz the few times ive been i havent had any luck. maybe 3 total in the 5 times ive been. was just wondering what people like to use. ive used many colors of powerbaite, worms and salmon eggs, wedding rings. is there something else or am i just trash at trout fishing? lol ive gone to benson lake like 3 days after it was stocked with 3k trout and didn't hit $hit! lol

sounds like you just had some bad luck, sometimes they just are not biting anything. Look around and see if others are catching, if everyone else is catching and you are not, try something else. If everyone is getting skunked its just some other reason. ie: moon phase, weather front, temperature,etc..oh yeah, i prefer to throw lures, kastmasters,little cleos, panther martin, blue fox, they all work well, you just have to find the size and color combo that happens to be working that particular day.good luck n good fishin'

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
My Go to is PowerEggs on the Bottom, Chartruse and Pink/White.
Then for Lures I use Kastmasters and Bluefox.

Troutski
Troutski
On subject..

On subject..

beaverfan said:
Not trying to rag on ya or start an argument but can I ask why you feel that way? If people want them they just have to put in the time learning to fish like the rest of us had. If you are talking about hungry people getting food, groceries stores sell trout and accept foodstamps. IMO they stock fish in urban areas to give children and people that can't get out that much a chance to catch some fish too. Stocked trout DO provide meals to those low on funds but that is not the primary purpose.

Lets stay on subject...keep these opinions to the PM's. This thread is all about "best bait for trout"

Chuck

B
beaverfan
Sorry Troutski like I said I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. Just curious as to his reasoning. I have enjoyed reading many of SmallStreams posts and would like his input on why he feels that way. If he wants to he can PM me.

As far as trout bait goes it's all about Powereggs. Chartreuse with the glitter work best for me.

Troutski
Troutski
On track..

On track..

beaverfan said:
Sorry Troutski like I said I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. Just curious as to his reasoning. I have enjoyed reading many of SmallStreams posts and would like his input on why he feels that way. If he wants to he can PM me.

As far as trout bait goes it's all about Powereggs. Chartreuse with the glitter work best for me.

I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion on this site, but lets keep it on track. All it takes is one post off topic and the next thing you know we have lost track of the original thread. Just trying to keep things running smooth.
Thats why Anatoliy pays us mods the big bucks.;)

Chuck

Troutski
Troutski
Night Crawlers...

Night Crawlers...

I have a favorite bait when the lures stop working, Night Crawlers. Fished any way, on the bottom, floating them with mini mellows, inflating them with air and floating them up off the bottom. Nothing against PowerBait, I just prefer fresh meat on my hook for Trout; especially during the hot days of Summer when the fish are staying deep. An added surprise is the occasional Steelhead that can't resist a tasty Night Crawler drifting along a small stream...and on Trout gear it is quite the thrill:shock:

Chuck

O
Outdrsmn
I agree with troutski...can't go wrong with a night crawler. I never much liked manufactured baits.

It may be you are not fishing in right spots on the lakes and rivers you are fishing as well.

F
FishSchooler
It might not me the bait or you that is keeping the fish from biting. Is your bait floating off the bottom? If it's not, you most likely won't catch anything. With powerbait, just take a junk and put the hook in the water to see if it floats. With powereggs, 2 eggs will make a size 8-12 hook float. For salmon eggs... add a size 8 corkie 12 inches above the hook.

Q
qwapaw
OK, Now you have opened "a can of worms". I have never been able to get a worm filled with air to float. Is there some secrect i am missing. I use the mini mellows in the Central Oregon Lakes, but would like to float just a plain worm some times. I bought an air injecter, but had no luck. Any thoughts? Qwa

F
FishSchooler
If it is a tiny piece of worm (1 or 2 inches), you could try adding a larger corkie a foot above

M
Magee
Sometimes planted trout can be "line-shy" so I recommend using line that's rated at 4 lbs (no bigger than 6 lbs) and don't use the pre-tied (snelled) hooks that have heavy leaders. Tie your hook directly on the end of your line with a couple of split-shot 3' above your #6 or #8 hook if you use bait.
Planted trout aren't usually too sensitive to scent but are sometimes repelled by the smell of sun screen, tobacco, oil or gasoline, and other foreign smells. They are not repelled by WD-40 so you can spray some on a rag and wipe your hands, rod, reel, spinners, etc. to be sure they aren't contaminated with something.
Good luck.

M
meluvtrout
Magee said:
They are not repelled by WD-40 so you can spray some on a rag and wipe your hands, rod, reel, spinners, etc. to be sure they aren't contaminated with something.
Good luck.

WD-40 contaminates our waters. Just wash everything with Lemon Joy, that should take care of the human scent if that's your concern...

IMHO, Stocked trout don't care and would pretty much bite anything. As far as the bait/tackle goes here is my top ten starting from if nothing else works this will:
1- Rainbow Power Nuggets
2- Nightcrawlers
3- Wedding Rings
4- PomPoms (Egg patterns)
5- Gold or half gold half silver Lil Cleo
6- Rooster Tails
7- Olive Wooly Bugger
8- Marshmallows
9- Mini super duper
10- Balls of fire

F
FishSchooler
Pleaseee..... don't use WD 40.... it's almost all petroleum...

I caught limits of trout on 8 (these were wild) and 12 lb mainline, so that proves they can be not line shy.

L
liquidplumber
qwapaw said:
OK, Now you have opened "a can of worms". I have never been able to get a worm filled with air to float. Is there some secrect i am missing. I use the mini mellows in the Central Oregon Lakes, but would like to float just a plain worm some times. I bought an air injecter, but had no luck. Any thoughts? Qwa

You might try a crawler with a mini marshmellow They used to call it a shasta fly or a mini marshmellow threaded past a treble hook and put a salmon egg on each barb and slide the marshmellow down the hook(trout sandwitch).Thats what we use to use before power bait and it smells a lot better.I would like to meet the guy who figured out using marshmellows for bait.

O
OnTheFly
Troutski said:
I have a favorite bait when the lures stop working, Night Crawlers. Fished any way, on the bottom, floating them with mini mellows, inflating them with air and floating them up off the bottom. Nothing against PowerBait, I just prefer fresh meat on my hook for Trout; especially during the hot days of Summer when the fish are staying deep. An added surprise is the occasional Steelhead that can't resist a tasty Night Crawler drifting along a small stream...and on Trout gear it is quite the thrill:shock:

Chuck

I am going to share some experiences with bigair but first I need Troutski to clairify something for me. Night Crawlers, inflating them with air Am I just taking this out of text or is this something commonly done? I don't know why but those long skinny balloons they make animals out of comes to mind:lol: Anyway, back to the subject. It's been a long time now since I have caught a trout on anything but a fly rod. But like most of us, I started out casting various types of bait and an assortment of lures. Walking a small river or stream and hunting for trout with spinning gear is one of the best types of fishing done. Set up your terminal gear to be able to change between bait leaders and lures. Just tie a snap swival on your main line. Above the swival pinch on just enough splitshot to cast with. If you enjoy casting spinning rods it is my own opinion that hunting for fish by drifting a single salmon egg into bolder pocket water is the best! Worms work but I just prefer the egg on a single hook. Make sure it's one of those gold colored egg hooks...reeeely small!

Like I said, it's been awhile so my lure selection might be old school. There was a rooster tail type lure that had some sort of dent in the blade.. Vibra or something. Anyway, get ones in green, orange, and yellow and rotate often. One day on the N. Santiam a few miles up from Detroit I was catching fish all day by rotating my gear. Two fish on green...then dead...two fish on yellow..then nada...two on egg etc. I hope this is helpfull and good luck!

C
capblack
I like inflated worms for big trout like the ones in big cliff, but the problem is you have to use a whole nightcrawler or they wont hold any air, if the smaller trout nibble the end off, try a threader, and then blow them up. But I never have any problem with catching stockers on power eggs. I prefer a slip sinker though, with about 18-24 inches of 4 lb leader. the slip sinker lets you feel the bite better than a couple split shot on the main line. Also try cocktail shrimp, but again youll have to find a way to float it if your bottom fishing with no current. Good luck, Brian