Best bait for steelhead?

W
wiserm
what works best for you guys and ladies? i prefer fly fishing. but my buddy wanted me to ask about best baits for steelhead.

W
wiserm
also the types of lures that you all like :D thanks!!

M
Moe
pink worm

Y
youngbuck307
red trout bead! drift fished.... also for jigs i dont fish them normaly without a sandshrimp tail or coon tail on them!

B
beaverfan
That all depends on the river, conditions, water temp, etc.... I myself prefer spinners but if I was gonna use a bait it would be sandshrimp or roe.

E
eggs
Eggs hands down.. but I chasing them on flies for months now!

S
SALTYFISH
Jigs, pink worms, and don't underestimate the nightcrawler

Y
youngbuck307
eggs said:
Eggs hands down.. but I chasing them on flies for months now!

Dude did you really just have to say that lol come on it would of been funner if you said sandshrimp, Eggs

H
Herefishyfishy
I fished for a year without any steel and two weekends ago I hooked 4- 1 bit the line off above the hook- 1 native and 2 keepers all on.............Coon Stripe Shrimp (prawns)..........

E
eggs
youngbuck307 said:
Dude did you really just have to say that lol come on it would of been funner if you said sandshrimp, Eggs
I was talking about over easy and sometimes sunny side down eggs... what were you talking about?

B
beaverfan
Eggs make great bait! I prefer mine hard boiled though. When the waters high and muddy throw on a nice big egg and bobber and your good to go, when the waters come down and clear up just use the yolk. Very versatile!

A
autofisher
Eggs, sandshrimp, nightcrawler, pink worm, corkie & yarn, bobber and jig, spinners....... I have hooked into fish with all of these methods this year. Just gotta find out what ticks them OFF and makes them want to bite at it. If all those fail........ dynamite.

J
JeannaJigs
autofisher said:
Eggs, sandshrimp, nightcrawler, pink worm, corkie & yarn, bobber and jig, spinners....... I have hooked into fish with all of these methods this year. Just gotta find out what ticks them OFF and makes them want to bite at it. If all those fail........ dynamite.

x2 on the dynamite.

But for the realsssss....Jigs uses jigs, and doesn't touch/waste money on bait for steelhead....I know that's a shocker...I know.

M
Mad dog
Something different....usually fished different!

Good roe is hard to beat! But, it depends on what the fish are used to seeing!!!

O
Outdoor_Myers
I use eggs but he splashes around too much when I toss him in and he doesn't retrieve very well :p (I seen people use that pink worm thing a lot on here but honestly I do think it maters on river and other environmental conditions!)

M
Mike123
Winters - pink worms and sandshrimp

Summers - WORMS.. summers LOVE nightcrawlers.

To me it seems the fish way deep in the valley like the worms and the coastal fish like shrimp.

I don't waste eggs on steelhead. They are too easy to catch on artificials.
Save eggs for salmon! ;)

Y
youngbuck307
Outdoor_Myers said:
I use eggs but he splashes around too much when I toss him in and he doesn't retrieve very well :p (I seen people use that pink worm thing a lot on here but honestly I do think it maters on river and other environmental conditions!)

ROTFLMAO..... now that was great made my day! But he is for real a clear water bait.... nice small presentation lol u know we love u man

W
wiserm
thank you all so much ill see what to do this weekend might hit up the alsea or Nestucca. THANKS AGAIN!!

P
Phil_Bud
im successful with roe, panther martins, blue foxs, and glow bugs, and flys. ROE in the fall and winter is my favorite way to catch um.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
corkie and yarn . maybe eggs if i can't hit one on the corkie and yarn .
i have been known to float a 51/60 raw prawn close to the bank , but , corkie and yarn is the shizz my nizz .