Best areas for sturgeon

J
Jacob Fishes
Hey guys! First post here. Just moved to the area from Hawaii and love going fishing! I’ve been catching trout, catfish, and definitely gonna get in on the fall salmon run 🎣. I’m here looking for recommendations on places to catch sturgeon though within 50mi of Troutdale. Never fished for them before and can’t wait to land my first one😎. I heard they like to hangout near the bonneville dam but I also heard it’s illegal to fish for them there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

bass
bass
Bad time of year right now. The rivers are too warm and even if you catch one it is really hard on the fish. Most of the fish head out to the mouth of the Columbia this time of year. I read that the C&R fishing at Astoria is awesome right now.

This fall the fishing will pick back in the Columbia and the Willamette. If you have a watercraft then Swan Island is often really awesome around the October time frame (and then on through the winter). The Willamette has really good sturgeon fishing fall through early summer throughout the lower river.

I have not fished the Columbia for sturgeon. Folks do catch plenty of them there but it is not a fishery I have explored.

Let us know if you are fishing from shore or from a boat or kayak. I am not as familiar with sturgeon shore fishing but I can give you a few pointers.

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
As @bass said, Astoria has been producing some nice fish

I
igquick
bass said:
Bad time of year right now. The rivers are too warm and even if you catch one it is really hard on the fish. Most of the fish head out to the mouth of the Columbia this time of year. I read that the C&R fishing at Astoria is awesome right now.

This fall the fishing will pick back in the Columbia and the Willamette. If you have a watercraft then Swan Island is often really awesome around the October time frame (and then on through the winter). The Willamette has really good sturgeon fishing fall through early summer throughout the lower river.

I have not fished the Columbia for sturgeon. Folks do catch plenty of them there but it is not a fishery I have explored.

Let us know if you are fishing from shore or from a boat or kayak. I am not as familiar with sturgeon shore fishing but I can give you a few pointers.
Hey bass, when is it best for sturgeon fishing at downtown? I got a few spots downtown, but i rather have a punchers chance before bringing sturgeon bait to work