Berkley's Power Eggs...best thing since apple pie!!!

T
tnffishman
I don't know if anyone has used the Gulp power eggs I think they have more scent and are definitely more moist. But I prefer the Berekley standard power eggs which stay on MUCH longer and if you need more scent you can add that jelly stuff like someone said a while ago on this thread. Either way it's deadly.

I was wondering how many eggs you guys usually use on one hook? I usually run two on a single egg egg. I have caught a few on one power egg, and a HUGE hit at Big Creek Res. when I had 3 on one time

N
n8r1
eggs said:
Going after steel tomorrow although muddy water will try powereggs and yarn and see how I do..

Let us know how you do. I've been curious about whether they would work or not. What river are you fishing?

D
dinghy
I havent seen spring green eggs- except in the lime-lime eggs. they are spring green and chartreuse mix.

troutdude
troutdude
tnffishman said:
I don't know if anyone has used the Gulp power eggs I think they have more scent and are definitely more moist. But I prefer the Berekley standard power eggs which stay on MUCH longer and if you need more scent you can add that jelly stuff like someone said a while ago on this thread. Either way it's deadly.

I was wondering how many eggs you guys usually use on one hook? I usually run two on a single egg egg. I have caught a few on one power egg, and a HUGE hit at Big Creek Res. when I had 3 on one time

I do not buy the Gulp! or Magnum eggs, just the regular ones. Why? Because they are cheaper and WORK! And, if I dont' get any hits, I add the Berkley Trout Jelly and / or Trout Scent and WHAM!

I put two eggs on a size 8 hook. But, I'm gonna try 3 eggs on a size 6 hook this weekend.

BTW, I haven't check my jars yet...but, the egg I use MAY not be a true "spring green"...they MAY be spring green and a chartruese mix. I'll look and file a report.

N
n8r1
JHawk said:
Also, I have yet to be able to find Spring Green Power Eggs. Does anyone have a picture of a bottle they can post? I went to Bi-Mart on B-H Hwy right after n8r1 posted the other day and could not find them. I couldn't even find a slot on the shelf for them, although they did have tons of plain Power Bait in Spring Green.

Sorry, I just went and checked my eggs last night. They are not spring green, they are lemon lime, and they are the magnums. Sorry for the bad info. They aren't as bright green as the spring green ones, they are more of a yellow/green mix.

troutdude
troutdude
Since I started this whole thread, I felt obligated to double check too. And, my Power Eggs truly are Spring Green! But I guess "regular" ones are magnums...cuz that's what mine are (magnums). So, I think the next "step up" would be the Gulp! version (but don't know if they come in a true Spring Green, like the magnums).

I also found some magnum style Fluorescent White ones in my bag of tricks too.

So, to clarify, I use ONE of those SPRING GREEN eggs on a hook...PLUS an ORANGE one. I usually catch more trout with that combo than any other color. But, I also carry white, red, pink & white, and Purple Power Bait and Trout Chews and, and, and.......can't have too much variety!

E
eggs
No dice but then again river was high and faster then normal..

troutdude
troutdude
Color Correction

Color Correction

OK, guys n' gals...here is the latest scoop. And confession is good for the soul...;)

First, it looks like "regular" or "basic" Power Eggs have the word Magnum on their labels. I had thought that there were/are 3 different varieties of Power Eggs: "regular", then "magnum", and at the top of the scale "Gulp!". But, now I think that there are only Magnums and Gulp! (Gulp! having more scent/attractant). :confused:

Secondly, I may be mistaken in thinking that Power Eggs come in a true Spring Green version. The jar has a lid that says "Spring Green" on it. So, I assumed that I was using (and recommending) Spring Green eggs to catch a large portion of my fish.

But, those particular eggs are a mix of a spring green color AND a Chartreuse color. And since I have another jar (I think with White colored eggs), and a lid that reads "Lemon Lime"...I'm thinking that what I really have are Lemon Lime eggs and NOT Spring Green afterall. :shock:

I haven't looked at the store yet, but Berkley may NOT make Spring Green Power Eggs (only Power Bait) in that color! :rolleyes: But, if I do find some spring green ones, I would buy some. So, please let me know if you find any.

So, I have been apparently using One Lemon Lime egg and One Orange egg; on a hook. And that has been the winning combo so far this season. :dance:

My apologies for the confusion on my part. :redface::redface::redface:

Last edited:
F
fishnquest
Thank you TD. That clears it up.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for your understanding. I think that I simply had the wrong lid on the jar.

If the label on the jar listed the color too...that would've helped me to know exactly witch color I had. But, Berkley only lists the color on the lids.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Only hitting ONE color today at ABC!

Only hitting ONE color today at ABC!

One of my Power Eggs / Power Bait theories held true today. The fish would NOT hit green, lemon / lime, orange, red, or white power eggs at Alton Baker Canal today. They only hit PINK!

So again, I recommend to all...that you always carry multiple colors in your fishing arsenal.

If we would not have had PINK Power Eggs today, we would have gotten skunked!

N
n8r1
Yeah, at the Trojan Pond today they would only hit Pink ones for me too. I tried Chartreuse and Lemon/Lime with no luck and then hit my limit with pink ones in the exact same spot.

J
JHawk
So how long do you guys throw one color at them before switching to a different color?

L
lilsalmon
I was using lemon-lime (spring green....:lol::lol:) power eggs for the first hour or so and then TD started getting hits with the pink and white.....course I had the same set up and didn't do as well as he did...nice to see him get two nice trout on each pole at the same time...show off.....:D

had a great day at the canal and only got soaked once....

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for taking the first rod and fish, while the other one was keeping me busy Lil! I appreciate all of your help...and your care in getting those fish revived and released!

I typically try one color for a half hour to an hour, depending on the amount of water / holes to cover. Then, I switch it up. I also try combo's like lemon lime/orange, or white / bubble gum (pink), etc.

And upon first arriving, I plunk one rod with bait. Then, I use rod #2 with wobblers/spoons, or spinners, or flies and cover all of the water with those. All of that in an attempt to quickly figure out what the fish want to hit that day.

L
lilsalmon
troutdude said:
Thanks for taking the first rod and fish, while the other one was keeping me busy Lil! I appreciate all of your help...and your care in getting those fish revived and released!

I typically try one color for a half hour to an hour, depending on the amount of water / holes to cover. Then, I switch it up. I also try combo's like lemon lime/orange, or white / bubble gum (pink), etc.

And upon first arriving, I plunk one rod with bait. Then, I use rod #2 with wobblers/spoons, or spinners, or flies and cover all of the water with those. All of that in an attempt to quickly figure out what the fish want to hit that day.

Anytime, it was great.

troutdude
troutdude
I just thought of yet another great reason, that I like Power Eggs over Power Bait.

When I used to use Power Bait, the fish would nip it off the hook and eat it. Or, they would swallow it along with the hook. I constantly found lots of power bait in the stomachs of caught fish.

While unhooking and releasing each fish, I also remove the eggs. Then, I re-apply some scent and toss the rig back into the water. Doing this, means the released fish did NOT eat the eggs. So, once the fish has gotten over the shock of being caught--he/she will still be hungry!

The result? More fish to catch and release. :)

D
dinghy
my powerbait catch numbers are higher than eggs right now because they like the kinds that are not made in eggs.

troutdude
troutdude
Where have you been fishing? What colors of Power Bait are you using? Bobber & Bait, or off the bottom w/ slip sinker? Please tell us more!

M
mthoodrider
I'm a true believer on the eggs now. I use to look at them at the store and just laugh, thinking it was just another new way for them to take your money for less of a product. After reading about it here and watching some of my friends using it, I just had to try it, and now I'm hooked. it still definitely matters on what color you use and combo of colors. but I've realized the hook size really plays a big part of the powereggs. I like using big enough hooks to keep the small fishes away, but I still like to fish with a small hook here and there. That's when the eggs can become a problem. With powerbait you can make them smaller for a small hook and the bait is soft enough to where you can completely cover the hook and still hook a fish. To where powereggs is a different story. No matter what, I think is to whatever you feel works best for your type of fishing. It is always good to have a big variety of an arsenal in your tackle box. I was raised on no matter what, always have worms with ya. And I still do, every time we are out fishing i always spend the money to buy the stupid worms that i won't use and eventually will die!
But when I don't have the worms with me and I get skunked or only catch a few fish all day, I say, I should of bought the STUPID WORMS!
Never less, power eggs are a must in a tackle box.