Berkley's Power Eggs...best thing since apple pie!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Berkley's Power Eggs are AWESOME! They taste the same as Power Bait to the fish. They come in the same colors, and even additional colors. They float just like Power Bait. But, they are BETTER in FOUR remarkable ways.

One, you won't have messy / smelly hands like you do with rolling power bait up. Two, they stay on your hook longer; so you catch more fish. (Power Bait just gets nibbled off all of the time, without catching the fish that's doing it). Three, you won't have to spend time re-rigging because the fish stole your power bait (i.e. your line will be in the water more of the time and increasing your catch ratio). Four, since the Power Eggs stay on longer--you SPEND LESS MONEY on "bait"!

I've been using Power Eggs exclusively for about 3 - 4 years now. I won't even touch Power Bait anymore...unless I'm out of the power eggs. You wont' go wrong, if you use (or switch to) using Berkley's Power Eggs...I guarantee it!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Julialisa
S
Shadelady
we ust had the same revelatin ourselves. i have also found that the usual powerbait is having issues floating... have not run into that with the eggs yet.

troutdude
troutdude
Another good reason to use Power Eggs, if the Power Bait won't float anymore.

I've been trying to convince others to switch to Power Eggs, but feel so strongly about it that I decided to start this new thread.

BTW, I also sometimes dab either Berkley' s Trout Jelly or Trout Scent on them (or both of those products). But, I didn't of that extra stuff today!

B
beaverfan
It is also easier to use under a bobber, with the single hooks you put one on and it won't float it but it maintains a good presentation. Also the fact that it works well with single hooks is awesome. I always pinch the barbs on my hooks and if your on top of things and set the hook right away you can usually avoid gut hooking them.

T
Troutier Bassier
I caught like 8 trout today on the same 2 powereggs.. Great stuff.

B
beaverfan
See we don't disagree with you on EVERYTHING! LOL

troutdude
troutdude
beaverfan said:
It is also easier to use under a bobber, with the single hooks you put one on and it won't float it but it maintains a good presentation. Also the fact that it works well with single hooks is awesome. I always pinch the barbs on my hooks and if your on top of things and set the hook right away you can usually avoid gut hooking them.

I agree completely, and those have been my experiences too. I much prefer a "de barbed" single egg/bait hook (size 6 or 8). Then slide two Power Eggs onto the hook shank, but leave the point bare. This works a lot better (as Beaverfan noted), to help release unwanted fish that will survive and swim away.

P.S. Beaverfan...thanks for adding your comments!

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
I was slaying them yesterday with PowerEggs. 2white/pink eggs on a size 8. :) 2 pinch weights Cast and jig

troutdude
troutdude
Way to go.

My favorite color is one Spring Green egg, and one Orange one on the same hook. Probably cuz it resembles "Rainbow" power bait, which has always worked well.

But, the pink and white ones (Bubble Gum I think they call it) worked yesterday for me too.

And chartruese hammered them yesterday (but usually is only a kind of "so so" color).

T
Troutier Bassier
White is a great color in Mountain lakes because it looks like Maggots probally.

M
Michael
troutdude said:
I agree completely, and those have been my experiences too. I much prefer a "de barbed" single egg/bait hook (size 6 or 8). Then slide two Power Eggs onto the hook shank, but leave the point bare. This works a lot better (as Beaverfan noted), to help release unwanted fish that will survive and swim away.

P.S. Beaverfan...thanks for adding your comments!

Thanks for the info AND the details guys... i've been out of the game for a while, (about 7 years) and just getting back into it. This is a great website, and I appreciate all the tips and detailed info. You might think other readers just know this stuff, but there are plenty of us out here that don't.

So thank you!!

troutdude
troutdude
You're very welcome. And we're glad that you are now a part of our forum.

BTW, in my original post I mentioned that "They [power eggs] come in the same colors, and even additional colors [as Power bait]."

So, in short Power Eggs also offer more individual colors (and MANY more color combinations) than ever before. White works well in some locations, green in other places, green and orange in others, etc.

Yet another great reason to ditch your power bait gang...and just use Power Eggs!

However, there is a lake near Pendleton that I fished once. Those trout would not hit any bait unless it was PURPLE...no joke. We caught nothing on day one, and tried multiple colors. Saw someone using purple Power Bait and was knocking the fish dead. Got some purple bait that night, and got our limits on it the next day. And, so far, Berkley has not yet produced any purple Power Eggs. So, this is one color of Power Bait that I still arm myself with.

Otherwise, I still vote for primarily using the eggs.

J
JHawk
How are you guys rigging your Power Eggs?

Anybody got a picture?

troutdude
troutdude
JHawk said:
How are you guys rigging your Power Eggs?

Anybody got a picture?

I use a modified verison of Buzz Ramsey's / Berkley's diagram (below).

I use a size 8 egg hook. I thread one Spring Green egg onto the very top of the shank. Then, I thread an Orange egg on and slide it right up and under the green egg. And, I leave the tip of the hook BARE.

I typically start with about 2 & 1/2 feet of 4# leader, attached at the other end to a barrel swivel. Immediately above the barrel swivel I slip a small jewelry bead onto the main line (usually 6 # test). And, above that is a sliding barrel sinker. The bead, by the way, keeps the barrel sinker from sliding down and onto the swivel.

troutdude
troutdude
BTW, you will notice that I no longer use a small treble hook. The fish swallow bait like crazy, and I prefer not to kill them trying to retrieve my hook(s). So, I now use a size 8 Egg hook. PLUS, I try to remember to pinch off the barb(s)...so getting hooks back is easier and doesn't kill the fish.

It's the George Bush, Sr. appraoch (kinder and gentler...and more prudent). LOL

C
capblack
I have been using #4 owner and gamakatsu hooks for my trout fishing. you may have to use one more egg to cover the hook, but they hardly ever swallow the hook. Brian

troutdude
troutdude
Hmmm, that's a great idea! A larger hook will keep the smaller fish away too!

J
JHawk
Where are you guys finding the Spring Green color? I've found the chartruese, but not the Spring Green and I've looked at SW, Dicks's, and Sports Authority. I'm headed to BM and FM today.

I tried the Orange, pink/white, and one other color out at Hebo Lake on Saturday. I was running a single #8 hook with two different colored Power Eggs up the shank on about 18" of leader behind a red/white water bobber. They'd come up and take a look at it, but no takers. The lady and her son that was next to me were slaying them on worms and eggs, but guess what I didn't have!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Worms r us

Worms r us

My dad always told me...NEVER leave home without worms. :confused:

And, keep looking for those Spring Green power eggs. You will find them.

BTW, the regular Power Eggs stay on your hook MUCH longer than the newer "Gulp!" style power eggs. And, the regular ones are cheaper.

B
beaverfan
I think another great bait that doesn't get a lot of use anymore is those colored cheese scented marshmallows. They don't stay on the hook well but they work well and float incredibly good. Plus there dirt cheap! Plus they smell good and aren't very messy.