bent rods,broken tips ,6-7ft prehistoric monsters

brandon4455
brandon4455
Early in the am got the boat ready and headed out to fish the willamette below the falls for springers. We arrived around 9:30am and justin rigged me and pops up both with kwikfish with sardine wraps and him and my uncle mack with prawn spinners. We dropped anchor where they were nailing fish on friday but it seemed like a ghost town. For hours very little action was seen or heard of. we stayed in the same general area until 2pm when justin says "if it dosen't pick up we might try sturgeon fishing before we leave" i was excited to try for sturgeon for my first time i always wanted to. We worked our way upriver past the clack and meldrum bar area and under the first bridge then the second one and anchored near the bank,justin rigged our 8'6mh baitcasters with 6oz weights and a chunk of sardine. a few minutes in the first fish is hooked, rod bends and line zipping! nic keeper,photo and release! for about 20 minutes we were catching and releasing shakers and a few keepers ,then justin casts out and looks away and i saw that distinctive pull and let go action of a sturgeon bite. i told him there was a fish on his stuff so he slowly picked the rod up,and set the hook hard! said the fish didn't feel big so he handed it to me. about 2 minutes into the fight the fish went nuts and started taking line (remember we are using 8'6" mh casting rods) i said justin this fish isn't little! he chuckled and smiled and hooked another fish and he coud tell it was a monster from the get-go . a minute or two later my uncle gets a bumpand hooks another one! we have a triple sturgeon hookup goin on here! everyone laughing with 3+ foot fish zipping line off our reels. in about 2o minutes in me and justin were still fighting our big fish reeling down and pulling up trying to get the fish to surface so we can see them, as my fish slowly got closer to the boat it turned around,jetted off and i saw the line going up.OH BOY IT'sGUNNA JUMP! sure enough a 6ft long sturgeon on the end of my rod came flying out of the water making a huge splash! it was a jaw dropper..the fish was absolutely huge!! after about 10 more minutes of playing tug of war with the prehistoric mosnter he decides to bury himelf in an underwater shelf justin says they like to sneak into while hooked. he would not budge one bit. so we pulled anchor to go after his fish and get mine undone, justins fish was still peeling line after a battle that has lasted well over 20 minutes. the fish goes under the boat and around the anchor rope breaking the rod tip in the process! we pulled away and got the fish untangled and it made another run but whats this? my fish is out of the shelf on the run again!! wooho! but my reel is jammed.. someone help!!? nope they are too busy with the bigger fish SNAP! the fish made a run and snapped me off and that was the end of that.. justin soon got his fish in and it was a big fish. 7ft oversize! after photos of the fish in the water we anchored back up and proceeded to get a few more. casted out,waited not even two minutes and got bites. pappa was hooked up and got a very ncie keeper. he was worn out! photo and release :D . it was my turn to get one and afetr a few missed hooksets i got one, a nice little guy just under keeper size. back in the willy he goes! all fish were released unharmed, barbless hooks were used and hands were wet before fish were handled. somwhere around 5,6,7 fish were landed in less then 2 hours can't remember exactly how many. and we lost about 3-4 fish that were hooked momentarily. hopeflly my grandpas cell phone pics will work later tonight..i should be getting them soon. the fish im holding was the second smallest and the last fish of the day. the other fish being held by justin is my grandpas fish and other pics of fish taken in the water..unfortunately the best pic of the 7footer is on my uncles phone and he has now ay of getting it to the internet.

• Photo038.jpg
  • Photo035.jpg
  • Photo036.jpg
  • Photo039.jpg
  • Photo037.jpg
  • Photo034.jpg
Last edited:
Reactions: Noahk
F
Finneus Polebender
Sounds like a blast will be lookin for the pics!

brandon4455
brandon4455
hope to have them soon..if they didn't save on his phone it's going to suck...

L
lilsalmon
hehe found the post....was waiting for it on your other thread...sounds like you had a blast....We were on the Willy once for salmon and nobody was catchin a thing.....all of a sudden my rod bent....was a sturgeon......bout 3 ft but it was quite the fighter.....bigsteel says Rose, everybody is watching you...I look up and sure enough every set of eyes were watching me.....they didn't have anything else to do as nobody was catchin a thing....my palms got sweaty...I hate when everybody watches me....Glad you had a good time and got some of those beasts. hope the pics are saved

N
nwkiller
hell ya, can't wait to see the pics!!

N
natro
Nice story, sounds like it was a heck of a good time.

troutdude
troutdude
Wow Brandon...congrats to you, pops, and all of the fisherpeeps on your vessel!!! Can't wait to see the pics!

P.S. Did your pops sign the note for your teacher? LOL

Reactions: brandon4455
brandon4455
brandon4455
pictures coming soon. pops is sendin them to me!

N
nwkiller
?

brandon4455
brandon4455
pics are in first post!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
wonder if ill make the featured reports this time... :whistle: :lol:

L
lilsalmon
brandon4455 said:
wonder if ill make the featured reports this time... :whistle: :lol:

That is definitely a great candidate for a featured pic.....good job Brandon!!!!!!

N
nwkiller
finally...lolj/k great pics man!

Reactions: brandon4455
brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks everyone it was a great trip. im going sturgeon fishing again sometime. it's a blast!

brandon4455
brandon4455
forgot to mention, i saw quite a few shad jump. time to gear up for shad fishing too.

T
TTFishon
Nice job Brandon!!! I've never caught a sturgeon before. Looks like one heck of a great time!!!

R
rippin fish lips
uhh... hey man... uhh Just so you know... uhh, YOU SUCK!!!! I want to catch a sturgeon really really bad!! Nice Monsters bro!!

troutdude
troutdude
YOWZAH!!! Those are some nice fish. Way to go!!!

T
Thuggin4Life
Way to go brandon and co. Nice fish!

D
davidlee
Just an FYI, Sturgeon fishing is closed even for catch and release from the falls down to the I-205 bridge.

•Angling for sturgeon, including catch-and-release, is prohibited seven days per week during May 1 through August 31 from Willamette Falls downstream to the I-205 Bridge.