Bend, Oregon

G
Georgia Fly Fisher
Hello:

I am new to this site. The wife and I are thinking of vacationing in Bend this summer and we know nothing about this area. I know the Deschutes by reputation but that is it.:)

Any suggestions and help is appreciated!

W
wozniasm
Welcome to the Forum! There will be responses from those that know the area.
Let them know when you're coming and they can give you more detailed information.

S
steelhead_slayer
Hi welcome. A couple good winter trout streams are the Crooked river and Fall river.

F
fish4life
There are many lakes in that area that have trout in them too. Went to Prineville reservoir last year and was catching trout up to 18", they have two state parks with boat ramps. Both parks have electrical hookups. Jasper point park is a first come where the main park you can reserve spots and they also have cabins. Both parks also have boat ramps. In addition to trout there are bass, crappie and bullhead catfish. Paulina and East lake are some others as well.

S
steelhead_slayer
I just saw you were talking about summer time. The cascade lakes road has a bunch of lakes to fish

B
Big3d
Wickiup is the bomb for Browns, I was at Crane Prairie last summer. it seems there are less bass than when i grew up, but one that swam under our boat was easily 5+ lbs. Lava Lakes are a blast too.

brandon4455
brandon4455
crooked river is an experience not to miss, although most of the fish are not huge they fight like hell. and the metolius too. it will be really hot so i suggest heading this way earlier in the summer, early to mid july. sometimes the summer heat can mess with the fishing

G
Georgia Fly Fisher
Thanks for the info guys! We have to take a time share in Bend between June 1 and July 15. How will that affect the fishing especially if you are fly fishing for bull trout on the Metilious and redsides on the Deschutes?

brandon4455
brandon4455
i think the fishing should be fine for you on both rivers if there is no extreme heat.

G
Georgia Fly Fisher
Thanks guys!

The info has got me stoked. Hopefully, the timeshares will fall into place and I'll go. Heard on my home forum (NGTO) that you cannot use a float tube on the deschutes? Is this true? If it is....why?:think:

I use a float tube or pontoon boat on some rivers especially if it is slippery and need to move from shoal to shoal.

brandon4455
brandon4455
float tube is not a good idea for the rivers..they are fast,especially the deschutes. you can use a floatation device in the deschutes but you cannot fish from them.. if you know how to run big rapids and handle a big river you could use a pontoon,but a drift boat is ideal. quite a few boats went down in whitehorse rapid this year,just shows how dangerous it can be,even the most experienced go down.

G
Georgia Fly Fisher
I imagine that on my first trip out there, I'll stick with the most "wader friendly" I can find!

S
steelhead_slayer
during the summer above benham falls is open and you can fish from a floatation device there

C
CORNBREAD
Try Todd lake up by bachelor. But other than that its the town of a thousand lakes. I never am bored when i'm in bend.

S
steelheadstalker31
If you are going to fish the Deschutes around bend I would try below wickiup damn, good fly water and lots of trout.

O
OnTheDrop
steelheadstalker31 said:
If you are going to fish the Deschutes around bend I would try below wickiup damn, good fly water and lots of trout.

Great water! but its closed for a lil while longer... Check the Regs.