Bend in early October

J
JASMINE
Hello all, I am going to be in Bend/sunriver area the first of October on a golf trip and hope to get a few fishing days in as well. I dont fly fish though....Are there any local lakes or anything i can go and fish?? And how about the deschutes portion that runs around there? Is that any good for a non fly fishing approach? Thanks all.

M
Mike123
East Lake

Deschutes River

C
chrishophoto
Hit the Dechutes!

J
JAYDEE
East lake, Paulina lake, Craine Prarie resiviour, Wikiup resivior, big and little lava lakes, The desheutes river, these are all my favorite places to go.

M
Mad dog
East lake!!! That's what I would do! :clap:

F
fishtales
East lake I think is a couple dollars at the gate! Wikiup resiviour is shallow out to the middle if you didn't know. I think the Deschutes is good but has steep sometimes tough access. Twin lakes is also in the area but I never spent much time fishing it.

M
Mike123
fishtales said:
East lake I think is a couple dollars at the gate! Wikiup resiviour is shallow out to the middle if you didn't know. I think the Deschutes is good but has steep sometimes tough access. Twin lakes is also in the area but I never spent much time fishing it.

Since when does East Lake cost money?

F
fishtales
Good question . My recollection is a day use fee is required. Any how I had a great time on this one. I ended up helping the guy next to me land a huge brown trout at dusk from the bank. I held onto his pole while he went in and scooped it up onto the rock. very nice fish!!

C
chrishophoto
A word of caution about East Lake: The Oregon Fishing Manual warns of very high Mercury levels in that lake.

-c

M
Mike123
chrishophoto said:
A word of caution about East Lake: The Oregon Fishing Manual warns of very high Mercury levels in that lake.

-c

Good point. Especially the larger fish. Throw 'em back let 'em grow! Keep the kokanee to eat.

So... does anyone know what it costs to launch?
I dont think I've ever paid to launch at East Lake.

M
Mad dog
The old-timers that fish East laugh about the mercury in the fish! Been eating them for years! :D I don't eat large brown trout anyway!

I've never paid to launch at East or Paulina.....of course, when I'm fishing those lakes I'm pulling through the gate at the entrance at 3:30 am and nobody is in there to take my money! :lol:

F
fishtales
Does anyone know the mercury levels where about three months ago? I fished East Lake earlier in the season and forgot all the fish I caught in the freezer at my family's house down there when I left. Well they are coming into town soon and are bringing the fish.

B
BIG D
JASMINE said:
Hello all, I am going to be in Bend/sunriver area the first of October on a golf trip and hope to get a few fishing days in as well. I dont fly fish though....Are there any local lakes or anything i can go and fish?? And how about the deschutes portion that runs around there? Is that any good for a non fly fishing approach? Thanks all.

Cultus lake it's just around the corner from sun river, good marina,boats for rent and big fish:D