Below Leaburg Steelhead?

F
Fish on 7
I am somewhat new to the area and am very tired of being cooped up inside. Does the sun ever come out in the winter here? Would anyone recommend angling for steelhead below Leaburg dam this time of year and in these weather conditions. If not, any recommendations for the next few days. I've got to get outside. Thanks

T
toprameneric
Below Leburg is not your best bet this time of year for steelhead as they dont have a winter run. Your best bet this time of year, spicifically for the next few days... probably Whitaker Creek. Its only about 35 minutes from Eugene and the fish should be in the creek this week. Use big bait, as the water is green and not very clear. Bank fishing is easily accessable. Have fun!

F
Fish on 7
Thanks for the info, but I checked the reg's for the location and it says that creek is closed.

R
RIVERFISHER
dexter has fish year round in it below the damn...i went this morning and got into one but a few shakes of his head and he was gone....i been in a slump lately.....im heading out to alsea tommarrow morning ........

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome Fish on 7

Welcome Fish on 7

I agree with Riverfisher, the Middle Fork of the Willy from the confluence at the McKenzie to Dexter dam has plenty of bank access and plenty of fish. A very nice population of Native and Wild fish from Rainbow,Cutthroat,Red Side, Steelies and Chinook. With these fish come Small and Large Mouth Bass too..this river doesn't get the pressure that the McKenzie gets due to its water color and bottom. You can fish the Middle Fork of the Willy below Dexter all year long and be quite successful at it... I will admit a "toon" or drift boat is a real advantage to this stretch of water. There is Fly angling, opportunities along with spin, bobber and Jig alike, you should give it a try - a well kept gem in our own back yard. In my opinion...
Oh and welcome to the site....

Chuck

R
RIVERFISHER
Troutski said:
I agree with Riverfisher, the Middle Fork of the Willy from the confluence at the McKenzie to Dexter dam has plenty of bank access and plenty of fish. A very nice population of Native and Wild fish from Rainbow,Cutthroat,Red Side, Steelies and Chinook. With these fish come Small and Large Mouth Bass too..this river doesn't get the pressure that the McKenzie gets due to its water color and bottom. You can fish the Middle Fork of the Willy below Dexter all year long and be quite successful at it... I will admit a "toon" or drift boat is a real advantage to this stretch of water. There is Fly angling, opportunities along with spin, bobber and Jig alike, you should give it a try - a well kept gem in our own back yard. In my opinion...
Oh and welcome to the site....

Chuck

how did you end up doing chuck....nail em?

Y
yellowjacket
The Whiskey Eggs?

The Whiskey Eggs?

:cool:
RIVERFISHER said:
dexter has fish year round in it below the damn...i went this morning and got into one but a few shakes of his head and he was gone....i been in a slump lately.....im heading out to alsea tommarrow morning ........

Were you using the magic JD eggs again.? Sat. I did a little driving around to look at some holes I saw using virtual earth. See if there were pull offs etc. (Camp Creek Rd) I went to the boat launch by the Dexter hatchery for the first time. Been on the south bank before also the Bristow Park hole (s).
Where in that area do you prefer? Bait or gear? I don't have a handle on the big water yet, had been concentrating on LFC before the gate got closed and can do ok on small water but the big water is still kind of a mystery. Years ago in Coos Bay fished small water there too.
Yesterday pm no one was there fishing but it was the only water that looked fishable with all the rain & low elevation meltoff. Today I went & a couple of guys were fishing. One drifting that riffle - rocks (looks like good holding spot) across from the boat ramp with a corky- no action, one fly fishing further down no action, and a guy at the boat launch- east parking- with a gold spoon. Almost looked like he hooked up but not the right action on the rod so I think he hooked bottom. Looked like when he pulled loose the spoon had no hook but I couldn't really tell. Maybe a siwash. He left right then so I kinda doubt he had one on. I tossed a spoon, spinner, and tried night crawler just to see if I could get any cuts or bows and NADA. Didn't fish the south close to the dam but have seen guys hanging ovr the railing. From the railing to the maple kinda had a seam when I looked at it about a month ago. Got some little nibblers at bristow & saw one cutt or bow break surface in the middle of the big hole but no real action. 1 drift boat went by with spinners on & they hadn't any action either when we had a drift by conversation. They weren't even casting. I've walked the north shore as far as the powerline/island but have yet to see anyone catching so no way to copy success. Is it just put your gear -bait in the water & hopefully you get some fish on the move where you are casting? There are very few indications of structure and only a couple of holes that may have some fish holding so it almost looks like keep your tackle in the water as much as possible and hope for the best. Tips and tutorials greatly appreciated. Any input on the stretch of Fall Creek from the dam to Unity Bridge when it doesn't look like chocolate milk? thanks.:cool:

N
nw5785
hey i was wondering how you would access where mckenzie and the willy meet, is their a road there or do u have to park off coburg and walk??? looking at google maps but not sure of how you would get their

Y
yellowjacket
virtual earth- maps.live.com

virtual earth- maps.live.com

nw5785 said:
hey i was wondering how you would access where mckenzie and the willy meet, is their a road there or do u have to park off coburg and walk??? looking at google maps but not sure of how you would get their

Never been there. I use maps.live.com when I arm chair scout. The aerial & birdseye is much sharper than google. Looks like there is a dirt road off Knox road to the bank. go here & check it out. hold left mouse down to drag - scroll wheel zooms or just use the controls upper left.
Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible ;)

The link above works to the map, don't know why it says incompatible

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great job,hang in there

Great job,hang in there

yellowjacket;
Hey,just wanted to thank you for doing an excellent job reporting your results and prospects. Not many newbies are as enthusiastic about posting. Hang in there, your monster fish is out there waiting for you.
Barb

F
Fish on 7
Thank You, this site is great

Thank You, this site is great

A big thank you to Riverfisher and Troutski for your advise. I will have to try that stretch of river. I enjoy fishing when you never know what fish will end up on your line and that sounds like a good place for that. I ended up going to Leaburg because I got another tip from a friend and I am not familiar with Dexter yet. I did hook into about an 18" fish. Not sure if it was a trout or small steelhead? It jumped 2x seems like 2 ft out of the water and shook my lure. I was using a #4 blue fox with fire red body and silver blade. I was bringing it against the current very slowly. This was below leaburg dam. By the way, I am in the military and have moved around a lot. This is the best fishing site I have found.

C
chunk_style
Done any fishing at Ft Sill, Oklahoma by any chance? I'm heading there in three weeks, through april.

Troutski
Troutski
Green river park...

Green river park...

Fish on 7 said:
A big thank you to Riverfisher and Troutski for your advise. I will have to try that stretch of river. I enjoy fishing when you never know what fish will end up on your line and that sounds like a good place for that. I ended up going to Leaburg because I got another tip from a friend and I am not familiar with Dexter yet. I did hook into about an 18" fish. Not sure if it was a trout or small steelhead? It jumped 2x seems like 2 ft out of the water and shook my lure. I was using a #4 blue fox with fire red body and silver blade. I was bringing it against the current very slowly. This was below leaburg dam. By the way, I am in the military and have moved around a lot. This is the best fishing site I have found.

There is a really cool park on the Middle Fork near Jasper; just down stream from the bridge on the opposite side from the store. You can walk and fish all most to Springfield on a very nice path, there are even high water markers on the trees from the old days before the dams...some very good angling possibilities along this section. Tight lines.

Chuck

F
Fish on 7
Sorry, I have never fished near Fort Sill. That should be a great time of year to fish. I have fished a lot in Missouri which is similar. Gear up for bass & crappie, they will both be spawning.

N
nw5785
went to the dexter dam today around 2 just showin some friends around and the water looked calm not to high, didn't see no one fishin. Going to head out to the jc pond tomorrow to kill some time on my vacay :)

Y
yellowjacket
Green River Park Checked out the park earlier, got the gate closed. Any parking issues there kinda secluded from open view. Only Fall Creek was in its banks but it is chocolate milk.
Any input on the stretch of water adjacent to Buford Park? Looked interesting on Aerial view map. Getting fishing withdrawls with the flooding might go down the road from my place to Kirk Park. Neighbor said his daughters were pulling nice bass outa there a few weeks back. Or maybe JC Pond. Hafta look at the stocking schedule.
Later Chuck Happy New Year

Last edited: