Beginnger fly fisherman - looking for location advice

OREGON FISHING FORUM

pdxflyguy

Hey all, newbie here looking for some advice. Have a 9' 5wt setup along with leaders and tippets for trout and small mouth bass. Any suggested spots on the willamette where i could bank cast for small mouth bass or trout? I live in west linn and looking to stay local. I have a license and full setup including waders. Looking to get out a few times this week. Hoping to just get a few bites, do some catch and release.

Posted a similar note to the clackamas river forum, hope i'm duplicating anything.

Thank you!

troutdude

If you want to venture a bit further...fish the Oak Grove Fork of the Clack. Where it rolls into Lake Harriet. Take Hwy. 224 east past the Ranger station. Then turn OFF and onto NFD Road 57. There are nice 'bows and browns in there.

pdxflyguy

If you want to venture a bit further...fish the Oak Grove Fork of the Clack. Where it rolls into Lake Harriet. Take Hwy. 224 east past the Ranger station. Then turn OFF and onto NFD Road 57. There are nice 'bows and browns in there.
Thanks. Any advice on a fly to use? Dry-fly or nymphing?

troutdude

Use dry's, with a little bit of red and white (can't recall their name).

Muddler Minnows are also killer.

Nymphing will almost always be more productive, but less fun. The upper Clack has fish, small fish, but catchable.

Start out with the popular patterns, they are popular because they work. Pheasant tails, hairs ears, copper johns and my personal favorite the Prince Nymph. Prince nymphs have worked virtually in every stream or river I have fished.

Drys are a different animal, you should be fishing what the trout are “looking” for. That being said, the Adams, caddis, pmd , or a #12-14 stimulator are good to start with.

Good luck.

Top Bottom