Beginner

Chuckwalla

Just getting started in my attempt to fish for salmon from a kayak, my kayak is a blank slate at this point with rod holders and that's about it. I would love some help on a list of essential things I'll need to get, I have no gear yet just the desire to get back to fishing after a long break, like a 20 year break. I've been reading and watching videos but it's a lot to take in . Any advice on pole selection and other equipment like a fish finder and my first setup would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

C_Run

I started fishing from a kayak in 2011 and have caught a number of salmon from the kayak. I have only been fishing in tidewater in the fall. I have not done much the last couple of years but I would say that if you want to troll, get a rod holder and a depth finder and then just use any gear one might use from a boat like cut plug herring or spinners. Plenty of info on rigging is available online. One thing to keep in mind on the rod is the length. You want to be able to lead any fish around your bow during the fight and netting the fish. So, don't get one that is too short. Also, don't make your terminal gear so long that you can not net the fish. Besides trolling, you can fish a bobber and bait or jig from a kayak or cast hardware. An anchor can be useful for still fishing. Finally, you should look into Northwest Kayak Anglers Northwest Kayak Anglers . There are a lot of reports lately on ocean salmon fishing and a wealth of information on kayak fishing in general. Good luck.

pinstriper

I'm a couple years in on the same path. I do have a couple salmon under my belt from the kayak. I would agree with just about everything CR said except the anchor. An anchor can be very dangerous and as a beginner you would be well advised to stay away from them. You will later likely find that any water you would use an anchor is probably a bad idea to be anchored up in. Don't overvalue the use of an anchor is what I am saying.

Chuckwalla

Yeah I was thinking of several situations that an anchor would be super dangerous with a light craft, thank you for your help.

C_Run

Correct about the anchor being dangerous. To clarify, I only use it in shallow and slow moving water like fishing way up tidal creeks where there is no boat traffic. Shallow being maybe 1 - 8 ft. or so.

Top Bottom