Beginner needs help!

I
idigyourpast
Hey guys! I'm new here so be kind :)

I have recently decided that though I love my Xbox and computer, I need to be spending more time outdoors. To that end I have decided to take up fishing again. It has been a long time since I've been in the game and I'm a little out of practice. To be honest the last time I seriously fished was when I was in Cub Scouts. I'm 24 now.

From what I've heard, from friends and reading articles around the internet, fishing Steelhead seems to be the most enjoyable. I think this is what I want to be doing. I have a few questions about it, though. What kind of rigging do I need and what specific equipment might you guys recommend? I've been reading a lot about 8.5' medium action rods, spinning reels, and whatever else, but I must admit I'm confused by all of it. What makes a good Steelhead rod? What about a good Steelhead reel? Are some brands better than others? Is anything made here in Oregon?

I guess I just need help putting my equipment together. Also, I could use some help finding a spot. I'm in Klamath Falls for the summer for work so somewhere local would be nice, but I'm willing to travel. :)

Admin
Admin
Welcome aboard! Fishing is like riding a bicycle. After you got it, you can't loose it. You could get out of practice but few successful fishing trips will put you back in shape and boost up your confidence. ;) Regarding steelheading... If you would ask for my advice, I would say go after trout first. Actually steelhead is nothing but big trout, so if you feel uncomfortable with a thought that you fish for trout think that you fish for small steelhead. :D When you learn to catch trout you learn to catch steelhead. ;)

I
idigyourpast
Yeah you're probably right - better to crawl, then walk, then run, right? Do you think I'd need a different rod/rig for trout fishing than Steelhead? I figure something with a bit more sensitivity might be better for smaller trout, but I guess I'd like something with a little flexibility (pardon my pun.) Really though, I'd like a rod that could be somewhat multi-purpose, not just niched into one area or the other.

If that doesn't work, what do you recommend for a beginning trout fisherman?

Admin
Admin
Use a rod you have, You'll be just fine. I believe I read in one fishing book: "it's not about the size, it's about how you can use it." Or it was not a book about fishing? :lol:

R
rippin fish lips
get a 5'5" ultra lite!! so much fun!! with a shakespear real

N
nwkiller
lol RFL he's trying to catch steelies not loose them.... of course its funner on a small rod but get a couple under your belt, id go with your 7.5' rod with 6 # main line and the same or smaller for your leader

R
Rascal
im not expert but 6# is a little light for steelhead... what you have will work for trout the light the line the better though. for steelhead i would go to one of the threads already posted to get the recomended gear

Waco posted one not too long ago that would be a good place to start

and i think the rogue river is in that area but i dont know much about it

N
nwkiller
with the water low and clear, if you want to out smart them go with the lightest line possible!!!!!!

S
Specialed
I second that, I was out recently fishing for steelies. I coluld see them in the water as it was quite clear, but couln't get them to bite. Was fishing 8# leaders, which I have caught a few on earlier, and was wishing I had some 6# in my tackle box. I would have certainly retied if I had, and will take the 6# with me next time, in case the 8# doesn't work...
nwkiller said:
with the water low and clear, if you want to out smart them go with the lightest line possible!!!!!!

M
metalfisher76
idigyourpast said:
Hey guys! I'm new here so be kind :)

I have recently decided that though I love my Xbox and computer, I need to be spending more time outdoors. To that end I have decided to take up fishing again. It has been a long time since I've been in the game and I'm a little out of practice. To be honest the last time I seriously fished was when I was in Cub Scouts. I'm 24 now.

From what I've heard, from friends and reading articles around the internet, fishing Steelhead seems to be the most enjoyable. I think this is what I want to be doing. I have a few questions about it, though. What kind of rigging do I need and what specific equipment might you guys recommend? I've been reading a lot about 8.5' medium action rods, spinning reels, and whatever else, but I must admit I'm confused by all of it. What makes a good Steelhead rod? What about a good Steelhead reel? Are some brands better than others? Is anything made here in Oregon?

I guess I just need help putting my equipment together. Also, I could use some help finding a spot. I'm in Klamath Falls for the summer for work so somewhere local would be nice, but I'm willing to travel. :)

Get ya a 8` med/light action rod. Get a spin reel big enough to hold 200+ yards of 8lb maxima UG. Buy some 6 and 4lb leader. Use the 6 for steel now, and 4 for trout. When the coho get in in a few weeks bump up to 8 lb leader. The rod will be a touch big for average trout and a bit small for big steel. But it`ll give ya some flexibility and get ya fightin fish. With any steel/coho/nook yer gonna play`em out anyway, letting them take some drag, keeping yer rod tip up and bent with no slack in the line. Let the rod and drag ware `em down. Good luck!

N
nwkiller
was waiting for the master (metalfisher76) too chime in for this...!!!

G
Green_Tackle
I have recently decided that though I love my Xbox and computer, I need to be spending more time outdoors.

Fantastic! You won't regret it.

What makes a good Steelhead rod?

It depends on the type of fishing. While we all have our preferences and opinions, we also hear stories of people landing steelhead with mickey mouse kiddie rods. The point being that you can make due with a wide range of rods. As an all-around rod, I think your 8'5 medium heavy will work out just fine. I use an 8'5" baitcasting rod for spinner fishing and drift fishing and a 9' spinning rod for float fishing. I would recommend buying an affordable rod to begin with and then you can upgrade once you know what you like (if you develop a preference for a certain body of water, certain type of fishing, certain species, how much wading/hiking you do, etc). As you start getting into it, you may find you have many rods for different conditions.

What about a good Steelhead reel? Are some brands better than others

You'll want to have a good amount of line capacity as a steelhead can get a burst of energy and run out the line--which is part of the fun. We may have our brand loyalties (I like Shimano), however, the quality of the reel is often a function of price more than brand. I use the somewhat pricey Shimano Symetre 2500 with a front drag on most of my spinning rods. I've dunked the reel in saltwater, dropped it in the mud, and abused it pretty hard. It's never jammed, the bail still works, and it is so very smooth. As long as you clean and oil it when needed it will last a lifetime. I originally started with a $20 reel and while it did break relatively quickly, it got me started.

Is anything made here in Oregon?

Not very much in the rod or reel area (unless you're going to get into fly fishing) but there are a plethora of Oregon and Washington tackle makers and they know what they're doing. Spinners, floats, jigs, lures... plenty of Oregon made steelhead gear there.

Have fun and good luck. Let us know when you get into your first chrome.