Beginner Flyfishing Book

F

Fishydog

So I bought the wife a flyfishing rig and want to get her started so I'm looking for a good book to get her going. Can anyone recommend a great starter book? Thanks, Doug

A

ArcticAmoeba

I like the Curtis Creek Manifesto. If you are looking for something to help provide insight into technique, the best thing she can do is watch, then try to immitate a really good bug flingers cast. I just don't know any rock solid technique books, but I can tell her/you this. Your basic fly cast is not a series of fluid sweeps through the air, you are actually supposed to briefly stop after each pass, both foward and backward. To let the line build that classic "loop." Hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean when you see it done properly. Stopping for that split second, rather than just smoothly moving your rod back and forth will present the fly a lot more naturally, and farther out than doing it any other way. And then theres roll casts, and mending, and, and, and...River time is key here though. Probably the best thing you guys could do is go harrass some Trout, or Steel on the bug basher, and get some practice in!

F

fish_4_all

I tried to learn from a book had to get a video befor eI got the hang of it. I agree that time out there is gonna be the best thing to do. Even if you stand in the yard anf try to drop a fly in a 5 gallon bucket it will help a lot.

The hardest part is that pause needed to build the loop and get a good cast. She will have to learn to be patient and learn to feel the rod "load" up before starting changing directions. I still don't have it down until I start getting tired and then I can cast better than when I am fresh and going strong.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Ditto on the Curtis Creek Manifesto.........I still pull it out now and again if for no other reason than Sheridan Anderson the author is funnier than hell!

Another good book but more straight forward is Fly Fishing Basics by Dave Huges from Stackpole publishing..........Dave Huges is a local fly fishing guy who really knows tons of stuff anout fly fishing. I would get both books.

You might also want to check out Northwest fly Fishing Outfitters on NE 109th and Halse. They do have FREE clinics. NWFFO home page

Another good place is the Fly fishining Shop in Welches. Last I knew they also gave free casting lessons from time to time but it's been a while since I've been out there. Fly fishing equipment - fly-fishing tackle, fly fishing rods, fly fishing reels... Mark Bachmann owns the shop and is extemely knowledgeable about the sport.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Cool,grasshopper

Cool,grasshopper

Hmmm,sounds like the perfect makings of a "Member Workshop". I can see it now,one fearless leader with five or six "grasshoppers" standing by the water with their rods in their hands,fish waiting with "baited" breath,all sorts of learning going on. Cool.
Barb

Troutski

Troutski

Hmmm,sounds like the perfect makings of a "Member Workshop". I can see it now,one fearless leader with five or six "grasshoppers" standing by the water with their rods in their hands,fish waiting with "baited" breath,all sorts of learning going on. Cool.
Barb

Interesting choice of words...:think:

Chuck

F

Fishydog

Thanks everyone, I had seen the Curtis Creek Manifesto book but didn't know if it was any good. I think that will give her something to do. Now for a few stocking stuffers, what are some of your favorite flies?
Thanks, Doug

R

redhawk50

Prince nymphs are always good for wet and catch fish without being presented the best. If you get dry flies get ones that are very buoyant(good amount of hackle) and use float goo so they don't have to perfectly place the fly in the beginning and the fly will still float, Parachute adams are good as well as elk hair caddis. If you want more lessons youtube.com has a bunch of decent videos from very basic to more advanced.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
you just got to have a beadhead green wooley bugger for sure size 8-12. It's a good wet fly.......next would be a callibaetis sparkling dun size 14-18.........and a soft hackle 14-18.

Last edited:
Top Bottom