Beauty of a bobber and a worm

C
craigatkins
I spend most of my time fly fishing, or kokanee fishing or some other type of sophisticated fishing. Today I went out to a little pond outside of wallowa and jumped into my pontoon boat, floated aroung and just bobber fished with a worm. It was a joy, I caught about 20 fish, I didn't even come prepared to catch fish, no net, nothing to keep them in on the ride home. I kept 5 nice 16" and had a hoot. Going again tomorrow.:lol:

T
Thuggin4Life
Thats classic.

H
Hawk
That's the way to do er BRo.

Sounds like a Wonderful Day.

:D:D:D
:cool::cool::cool:

troutdude
troutdude
If there's one thing that my pappy taught me about fishing, it is this...

"Always remember the worms". And I have caught TONS of trout by draggin nuttin but a worm!

Way to go!

S
strawberry shortcake
Would that be our old biology pond put together by Dale Story when I was in high school in the early 70's? The one next to the highway and that is just west of Wallowa?

C
craigatkins
No not that pond, keep going north and take the next left, the road that goes to the old mill, just before you cross the bridge over the wallowa, I mean "your river," take a left onto the gravel road. It is a pond about 3 acres. two green gates. The fish are at the far end of the pond. Good luck shortcake.

C
craigatkins
turns out the big ones don't taste all that great, tomorrow I plan on keeping some of the 12" and see how they are. Maybe smoking them will be better. Spoiled by those great stream trout out of the Wallowa river.

S
strawberry shortcake
Given that the old pond is next to the old mill, I don't think I would be eating any of those fish if I were you.

troutdude
troutdude
Sure hope that Craig doesn't wake up with 3 eyes tomorrow morning. Those toxic fish can really wreak havoc on us humans.

Although he would then REALLY be able to spot fish! LOL

C
craigatkins
the pond is on the opposite side of the wallowa river from the mill. I would think the river might be more in jeopordy than the pond, I think the big one was a hold over, the small ones should be recenl plants. We will see, with two eyes I hope.LOL

PS, tell Clarence hi for us.

C
craigatkins
Update, woke up with two eyes, and a nasty taste in my mouth. Went out and got a few smaller ones, they tasted great. By the way the pond is about 3/4 miles upstream from the mill. Strawberry shortcake got me thinking about that.

S
strawberry shortcake
I noticed last weekend that there is an auction sign by the road. Looks like that mill will not be reopening. Wonder if it will have cleanup issues like the old mill area in Joseph did.

troutdude
troutdude
craigatkins said:
Update, woke up with two eyes, and a nasty taste in my mouth. Went out and got a few smaller ones, they tasted great. By the way the pond is about 3/4 miles upstream from the mill. Strawberry shortcake got me thinking about that.

Glad to see that those fish haven't caused any undue physical malformations! LOL

M
michigan_transplant
Had this same experience yesterday. Went to EE Wilson. Fish wouldn't bite on anything but worms. Luckily i had some. Anyone using powerbait had a lot of free time to look at there bobbers. If you had worms it was going under when it hit the water. Good times.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. The same thing happened to us at Hebo Lake a couple of weeks ago. No worms = no fish! But, we also had to add some Anise or Garlic scent to the worms too. Very strange. But, we caught fish!

P.S. Maybe the fish that liked the Garlic scent...were raised in Italy! LOL

T
Throbbit _Shane
michigan_transplant said:
Had this same experience yesterday. Went to EE Wilson. Fish wouldn't bite on anything but worms. Luckily i had some. Anyone using powerbait had a lot of free time to look at there bobbers. If you had worms it was going under when it hit the water. Good times.

Yesterday at applegate, as soon as the worm hit the water the bobber was going down :D

I am a bobber and worm advocate :)

S
strawberry shortcake
Me too. And when the river is high, I don't even need a bobber. I am fishing right next to the bank anyway so it is kind of obvious when I get a strike. Those fish are hungry in the spring!

R
Reed
Some times it's good to slow down and go back to the old basics, a bobber/worm set is relaxing. Wheather you catch & eat or catch & release, it makes for a good day! Sounds like you had a good day....